Barry Mann

In , on 03/09/05
at 05:00 AM, R said:

[ ... ]

[ Levinson]

He came to our store one morning to personally give us a demo and try
to convince us to carry his product. It was the worst demonstration I
have ever endured.

Was it due to the fact that the demo equipment was wholly unremarkable
or the presenter was boring or was it something else?

It was his electronics, our speakers. We had an appointment, but he
called to delay, claiming that a truckload of equipment was lost. Later
that morning a replacement truck arrived. (Never mind that the timing
was off a bit -- unless he owns a time warp, a second truck could not
have traveled from his place to our place in the time available.)

He insisted on using his own phono cartridge, which he pulled out of
his pocket and installed on our turntable. He was very confident of his
abilities because he didn't need any type of protractor to align the
cartridge. (I suspect that the cartridge was damaged, but I never got
my hands on it.)

The equipment build quality was very good, perhaps a bit over the top,
there were lots of nice little details, and each electronic component
(transistor, resistor, etc.) was probably the most expensive in its
class. I agree with his goal of eliminating RCA connectors, but it sure
causes lots of expensive pain with all the adaptors and re-terminating.
During the presentation he dropped lots of nice buzzwords on us.

We were not blown away by the sound and, judging by his reaction,
neither was he, but he could not suggest what was wrong. If his
amplifiers needed time to warm-up and stabilize, he should have known
that and planned for that to happen. (We would have been more than
willing to plug the stuff in and let it sit for a while -- days if
necessary) We were not impressed by his patter, focus, or the thought
of doing business with him.

Perhaps he thought we were a bunch of bumpkins who would melt in his
presence. At the end of the afternoon, he knew that it had gone poorly
and as he left he was muttering that he should have brought his own
turntable. Neither of us felt the need for any followup.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

(Barry Mann) wrote in news:422f1a47$1$avgroveq
:

In , on 03/09/05
at 05:00 AM, R said:

[ ... ]

[...]

If I was there I would have really felt odd. Here was the owner really
hosing the whole demo up. He starts off with a lie which becomes obvious a
short time later. That alone would have put me off entirely.