Michael Mckelvy

Default Bad Scientist Alert!

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:09:14 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:01:23 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:
From my personal experience, I am inclined to think that
most amplifiers which are considered to be of very high quality are

in
fact
not perfect enough to rule out audible differences. The samples in

my
possession which are distinguishable to me have excellent

specifications,
which to me implies that current specs are not adequate to

characterize
amplifiers.

How would you know, since you don't use even basic controls when
comparing them? That is *really* bad science!
--
I used "inclined to think", not "know as a fact."

Your posts however, indicate that you are in fact *not* inclined to
think................

As a further indication of your sloppiness, you go on to state *as a
fact* that samples in your possession are 'distinguishable' to you,
but you fail to note that this is under uncontrolled conditions, when
just throwing an unconnected switch will cause you to 'hear'
differences, even though the soundfield has not changed.

Stew,
I am not in the business of producing definitive work in this field.

Yet you act as if your sloppy comparisons have any meaning.

Arny Krueger THINKS he is.

Mind reading again?

It is common to peer review papers when one has
not performed research on the same problem. In my analysis of Arny's
so-called research, I find that he has applied extrapolative thinking.

This
is BAD SCIENCE.

He frequently references peer reviewed papers. AFAIK he's pretty much in
line with his peers of which, you are not one.

Arny is currently being sued because he called Scott Wheeler a child
molester, and refused to retract. This is sheer madness.

And this has what to do with the tread you started, asshole?

When I post simple
suggestions for an individual to maximize his enjoyment of a hifi

system --
in the situation where he has NO TECHNICAL RESOURCES -- Arny Krueger

objects
violently, intefering with the dialog. Arny is just nuts.

It's a public forum, if you don't him to commnet do your correspondence in
private e-mail.

So far, I'd say he has vastly more technical know how than you, since he
doesn't try to convince people that his anecdotes are anything more than
that. He allows people the oppurtunity through his web site to judge for
themselves and he does sound research and reference other sound research.
Something you do not.

If I find that one amplifier sounds better at 75dB SPL than another at
90 dB spl, then I, personally, don't need to test blind or level

matched --
for my own use.

You also can't use that as anything more than anecdotal evidence, which is
essentially meaningless.

The acceptable quality of the experiment depends upon WHO IS
USING IT. If Arny Krueger promotes his thesis as universal, it better be
good quality science. If I advocate trying different amps to someone who
does not have the resources or motivation to carry out a controlled
experiment, I claim NO HARM DONE, POSSIBLY GOOD.

Wrong, you make your pontifications as if they have any actual validity.

Let me assure you, Stew, that I am not a member of the tweako set.

No, you are a member of the anecdote set and the let's blame Arny for the
fact that you don't do good work.

All
my amplifiers are old, dating back to the TNT-200 and the XL-600, plus a
couple Parasound HCA2200ii. I wire with zipcord. I am skeptical of SACD. I
am a very utilitarian guy.

You and some other guys come on like Seventh Day Adventists. Any time
you want to stamp something out, ask yourself -- why are you so extreme?

Why
not laissez-faire? Live and let live?

You are now flat out misrepresenting what they have said.
When opinions are stated as opinions Arny and Stew do not take issue. When
someone states an opinion as a fact, then they are fair game.

If I were in the business of designing amplifiers, or specifiying them
for multiple installations, I might well consider the use of ABX to

optimize
the choice. But for me, as an individual -- no point.

You prefer to not know?

snip of large amount of B.S.