Stephen Adams

Default Mac OS X Jaguar, Midi, Oxygen 8, Intuem

I'm not all that familiar with your MIDI equipment, but if I may make a
suggestion regarding Mac OS X USB use in general?

First, upgrade the OS to 10.2.6; that's the latest and any incremental
fixes to USB and the Audio MIDI application will be in there.

Then, don't use the USB port on any keyboard or hub when you tinker
around with your setups. OS X is pretty particular when it comes to USB
hubs (which is what is in your keyboard, be it an Apple or 3rd party).
Plug your USB components into the USB port on the Mac directly (iMac CRT
-- side panel, iMac FP -- base, G4 tower -- back panel). Then give
it a shot in setting your equipment up.

The Mac's keyboards' USB ports are low power only; certain devices that
require full power or their own power will not function with them. This
is also true of some cheap, off brand USB hubs. I had to discontinue
use of a USB based KVM because Jaguar didn't like it, but my Belkin
F5U100 USB hub works fine for *most* things. I still have an old
Imation SuperDisk drive that won't work unless it's plugged directly
into my G4's back panel port. Let's just say that Jaguar is very picky
about making sure that USB ports play precisely to what it thinks are
USB standards.

GrapeApe wrote:
This is my initial time trying to do anything with the audio midi setup in
Jaguar (its rather hidden) and am trying to trouble shoot why the Oxygen 8
keyboard controller is not seen.

I am borrowing the Oxgen 8 from a friend, to see how plug and play it actually
is, to try it out before I buy ( I have been wary of USB and MIDI support since
OS 8.6, but apparently things are about to work again in the OS.

I am using it in USB powered mode. The LED on the Oxygen shows power is being
received. The mac does not seem to see it

I am using OS X Jaguar 10.2.1

I have download the latest drivers from MidiMan M-Audio good with OS 10.1.5 and
newer

I find the M-Audio USB support plug in 3.1 in the Midi Drivers folder

I ran Midi Audio set up... it showed no devices on any ports, but allowed me to
create one.

I reinstalled the Intuem Try out, hoping it might see the Oxygen. (it looks for
a controller or any Midi device on installation.

I am using the USB port on my keyboard, which is a macAlly iKey, which works as
well or better than the apple keyboard it replaced that came with my g4.

I think I might be experiencing some sort of USB voodoo... I may try one of the
USB ports on the back of the tower, but I doubt it would make any difference.

I have restarted the mac with the device attached in hopes that the driver
would be loaded and the oxygen 8 would be seen. I can 'create' a device in Midi
Setup, but its virtual PLUS I don't know what to route it to... I want it to
play quicktime instruments.

I want to use the Oxygen 8 as a controller to play Quicktime Instruments
(quicktime pro 6.2) into the sequencer Intuem (which is fully functional for
the next 20-30 days) so I can evaluate them for purchase (glad I tried to see
if they would work first)

Am I missing something obvious?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks