Sam Carleton

Default Eclipse CD8053 to VW Monsoon system?

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 at 17:55 GMT, Steve Grauman wrote:
Can Eclipse's ampless top-of-the-line CD8053 be mated up to an
otherwise stock VW Monsoon system? I've got a 2002 GTi and am
looking for a new headunit that will eventually (when I have more
money) direct the "flow" of an all-new sound system. In the
meantime, i need a deck with an amp that can drive my speakers, or
an ampless deck that can be hooked up to the factory-supplied amp
that came with my Monsoon system. Will this work with the 8053?

I own a 2002 TDI New Beetle with the Monsoon. What I have learned
is that the Monsoon amp takes an amplified input, not preamp. I
have heard that folks have hooked theAlpine head units with the
60W x 4 V-Drive amplifer to the Monsoon amp and it sounded great.

I believe I read somewhere that the Monsoon headunit puts a very low
wattage, like 4 or something.

My bug is wired a bit different then your car, I have a three way
system in the front and then just one set of midranges in the back.
Because of this, I am first installing new speakers and use the
Monsoon amop to drive them for the time being. After I have the
money saved up, I am going to add both the amp and headunit at the
same time.

I am working on the speaker install right now. Just got in the
first 6.5" in the door last night, hoping to install the other one
today. The tweeter and 4" are going to have a fiberglass pod made
that fits on the a-piller. Hopefully I will be doing that next
week!

Sam

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
Sam Carleton

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 at 20:15 GMT, Steve Grauman wrote:

I have no idea if the output signal from the Monsoon deck is
pre-amplified or not. All I know is that I want to install Eclipse's
CD8053 into an otherwise stock Monsoon system, but the Eclipse doesn't
have it's own amp, and I need to know if the Eclipse will mate up to
the Monsoon amp with a wiring adapter.

I guess I did a bad job of explain things. The output of the CD8053 is
not amplifed. It is my understanding that the Monsoon headunit does
have a SMALL amplifer on it, too small to power speakers effectively,
but enough to drive the amp. This is to say that it is my understanding
that the Monsoon amp requires noticably more amplification then the
output of any preamp outputs would give from any any headunit.

It is my understanding that it if you where to hook the preamp output of
the CD8053 to the Monsoon amp, the volume would be far too low to be
exceptable.

I don't work for Monsoon, so my understanding can be completely wrong!
I have not tried to hook a preamp single to the Monsoon amp, so I don't
know for sure.

Have you tried asking Monsoon? http://www.monsoonaudio.com

Sam

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
make this engine more powerful global resource.
http://www.miltonstreet.com/scarleton/links/
Steve Grauman

I guess I did a bad job of explain things.

Maybe I just did a bad job of understanding. =)

The output of the CD8053 is
not amplifed.

This much, I'm aware of.

It is my understanding that the Monsoon headunit does
have a SMALL amplifer on it

The Monsoon system has a 200 watt (peak power) amp, which can be found in a
compartment at the rear of the car, which it shares with the CD changer.
Monsoon's website says that the speakers are each amplified as well. It's
certainly possible that the headunit and speakers both have amps independant of
the 200 watt unit, but I don't understand why that would be neccesary.

It is my understanding that it if you where to hook the preamp output of
the CD8053 to the Monsoon amp, the volume would be far too low to be
exceptable.

I know that a few people have hooked up Alpine decks to otherwise stock Monsoon
systems, but I have to believe that in those cases, the factory amp is being
bypassed so that the headunit's internal amp can power the Monsoon speakers on
it's own. It seems like this is the way to go. I was tempted by Alpine's
CDA9815 because of it's Bass Engine Pro EQ system and high (by headunit-amp
standards) power output. But I hate the Alpine's user interface, and I found
that 9 times out of 10, the equivalent Eclipse deck sounds as good or better.
Not to mention the fact that Al and Ed's wants $499 for the 8053 and $550+ for
the 9815.

Have you tried asking Monsoon

Twice. They won't tell me anything, except to point out that they don't give
out copies of their wiring diagrams. I'm thinking about getting an 8443 instead
of the 8053. The only thing I loose are the avaliable (with an add-on adapter)
16V outputs (the 8443 has 8v units). But the 8443 has a built in 50x4 amp that
can drive my speakers if I bypass the Monsoon amp.
Sam Carleton

Ok, I did a search on newbeetle.org and found this thread that might be
of value:

http://tinyurl.com/j5t8

One replier stated: "In my research i found that the monsoon amp will
need about 2-4 watts to run cleanly." Where some after market amps have
both preamp input and amplified inputs, I interpret the above quote to
mean that the Monsoon amp only has amplified inputs. Where some
aftermarket amps lack the amplified inputs and you would need a high-low
level converter to convert from amplified signal to a preamp signal, you
would need a low-high level converter for the CD8053, in other words, an
amp.

You are welcome to bypass the Monsoon amp all together, but keep in mind
that you will have to come up with crossovers to separate the highs from
the lows for the component speakers. I looked for a 3-way crossover for
my bug (3-way component in the front and midrange in the rear), but was
only able to find 2-way systems. You will only need a 2-way crossover
for your car, though. I also believe you will have to deal with running
speaker wires because I would be willing to bet that you will have a
hard time finding space for the crossovers anywhere close to the
speakers, especially up front.

Sam

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
make this engine more powerful global resource.
http://www.miltonstreet.com/scarleton/links/
Steve Grauman

I did some research of my own and found that between the CD8053 and CD8443, the
only differences are the 8053s "avaliable" 16v outputs (or the 8443s
lackthereof) and the fact that the 8443 has a 50x4 built in amp. I wonder, how
much work and hardware would be required to get the 8443 to run the Monsoon
speakers from it's internal 50x4 amp?

Sam Carleton

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 at 03:29 GMT, Steve Grauman wrote:

I did some research of my own and found that between the CD8053
and CD8443, the only differences are the 8053s "avaliable" 16v
outputs (or the 8443s lackthereof) and the fact that the 8443 has
a 50x4 built in amp.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but doesn't the CD8053 also have
a digital input and output? I don't know exactly what one would use
them for, but I do believe the CD8443 does not have them

I wonder, how much work and hardware would be required to get the
8443 to run the Monsoon speakers from it's internal 50x4 amp?

Not much. If I am not mistaken all you will have to do is locate
the correct 2-way crossovers to split up the signal to go to the
woofers and tweeters in the GTI, Golf, and Jetta. My Bug has a
3-way system in the front and I would have to locate a 3-way
crossover.

Sam

FS: Eclipse 5303 Gellert17 Car Audio 0 July 29th 03 01:03 AM
Recommend Audio System for 93 Acura Legend LS? Name Car Audio 1 July 25th 03 01:23 PM
Tech. Doc. needed JBL system in Peugeot 406 Coupe Okkie Car Audio 0 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM
Help me design my system Jay Car Audio 1 July 20th 03 12:56 PM
Help choosing a system The Lizard Car Audio 19 July 3rd 03 10:22 PM