Posted to rec.audio.tech
finalcut

Default Tascam US122 USB audio/midi interface

Tascam US122 USB audio/midi interface

I'm thinking about picking one of these up tomorrow. Has anyone had any
experience with this device? Any opinions?

Thanks

~Kane

Posted to rec.audio.tech
stern

It's a reliable and durable little device, and operates very
intuitively. Compared to some of the M-audio and pro-tools hardware
interfaces out there, the user interface is intuitive and operates
well. And it powers itself off the USB, so you don't have to much with
a power adapter -- very handy and means that you can record in a middle
of a field with your laptop, if you want to.

The downside is that for some applications, you may need an external
preamp to get decent levels on the XLR inputs, but not always. And
it's my impression that the sound I get through the same pair of
microphones compared to running them through some mid-quality PreSonus
preamps into a Digi002 isn't as good with the Tascam. But it's only
$200, so that's to be expected.

I find it's very handy for small, mobile gigs and has been quite
reliable. I'm glad I have it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Urz

finalcut wrote:

Tascam US122 USB audio/midi interface

I'm thinking about picking one of these up tomorrow. Has anyone had any
experience with this device? Any opinions?

Thanks

~Kane

Im happy with mine.

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.tech
finalcut

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and got it. I had some problems
getting decent levels on the XLR inputs as you had mentioned. I had to
amplify all the waves 500% after the fact just to get decent levels and I
was pricing preamps when I went to record today and now the levels are fine.
Weird.

~S~

"stern" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a reliable and durable little device, and operates very
intuitively. Compared to some of the M-audio and pro-tools hardware
interfaces out there, the user interface is intuitive and operates
well. And it powers itself off the USB, so you don't have to much with
a power adapter -- very handy and means that you can record in a middle
of a field with your laptop, if you want to.

The downside is that for some applications, you may need an external
preamp to get decent levels on the XLR inputs, but not always. And
it's my impression that the sound I get through the same pair of
microphones compared to running them through some mid-quality PreSonus
preamps into a Digi002 isn't as good with the Tascam. But it's only
$200, so that's to be expected.

I find it's very handy for small, mobile gigs and has been quite
reliable. I'm glad I have it.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
stern

That *is* is a little odd, if you were using all the same equipment
with the same settings. Same mic, cable, phantom power (or not), knob
positions, etc. I'm assuming that's what you mean. the only other
thing I can think of in that regard is whether the subject was the same
distance from the microphone or the pickup volume of the instrument (if
you're going line-in) was set to the same level. Wierd.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Urz

stern wrote:
That *is* is a little odd, if you were using all the same equipment
with the same settings. Same mic, cable, phantom power (or not), knob
positions, etc. I'm assuming that's what you mean. the only other
thing I can think of in that regard is whether the subject was the same
distance from the microphone or the pickup volume of the instrument (if
you're going line-in) was set to the same level. Wierd.

Keep in mind your dealing with TWO separate volume controls in the
windows mixer applet. There is one for playback, as well as one for
record which is on a sub menu. These levels have to be hot as well
as the level control on the US122.

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.tech
kane

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

stern wrote:
That *is* is a little odd, if you were using all the same equipment
with the same settings. Same mic, cable, phantom power (or not), knob
positions, etc. I'm assuming that's what you mean. the only other
thing I can think of in that regard is whether the subject was the same
distance from the microphone or the pickup volume of the instrument (if
you're going line-in) was set to the same level. Wierd.

Keep in mind your dealing with TWO separate volume controls in the
windows mixer applet. There is one for playback, as well as one for
record which is on a sub menu. These levels have to be hot as well
as the level control on the US122.

Bob

Yeah, all that checked out. I swear nothing changed AFAIK, it just started
working properly.
I guess the Gremlins went on to bigger and better things.

Thanks for the input guys!

~Kane (finalcut)