Posted to rec.audio.pro
CoolWebs CoolWebs is offline

Default Best Production Stories?

I am looking for a list of the best "production stories" either in DVD
or written form. What I mean is, stories about the recording processes
used in producing the greatest songs of all time. Anecdotes of the
beatles in the studio, nirvana, etc... I watched a DVD on how
"Nevermind" was produced and it was amazing. I think it was part of a
DVD series. I also remember reading articles about how the first
Evanescence album was produced, recording a mesa and marshall
simultaneously and panning them, mic selection, a story about George
Harrison plugging straight into the mixing board when there was an amp
malfunction, cool stories like that. Any magazines I should subscribe
to? Video series to purchase? Thanks for the info.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 19 Apr 2011, CoolWebs wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I am looking for a list of the best "production stories" either in
DVD or written form. What I mean is, stories about the recording
processes used in producing the greatest songs of all time.

All those Classic Album videos that I've seen have been very
interesting. There are ones for "Dark Side of the Moon", "Who's Next",
"Electric Ladyland", etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Albums

Mix Magazine has a bunch of interesting Classic Tracks articles
archived:

http://mixonline.com/classic-tracks/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

CoolWebs wrote:
I am looking for a list of the best "production stories" either in DVD
or written form. What I mean is, stories about the recording processes
used in producing the greatest songs of all time. Anecdotes of the
beatles in the studio, nirvana, etc... I watched a DVD on how
"Nevermind" was produced and it was amazing. I think it was part of a
DVD series. I also remember reading articles about how the first
Evanescence album was produced, recording a mesa and marshall
simultaneously and panning them, mic selection, a story about George
Harrison plugging straight into the mixing board when there was an amp
malfunction, cool stories like that. Any magazines I should subscribe
to? Video series to purchase? Thanks for the info.

Go to the library, get the last 30 years of Mix magazine and however
many years of R/E/P magazine there used to be.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

CoolWebs wrote:
I am looking for a list of the best "production stories" either in DVD
or written form. What I mean is, stories about the recording processes
used in producing the greatest songs of all time. Anecdotes of the
beatles in the studio, nirvana, etc... I watched a DVD on how
"Nevermind" was produced and it was amazing. I think it was part of a
DVD series. I also remember reading articles about how the first
Evanescence album was produced, recording a mesa and marshall
simultaneously and panning them, mic selection, a story about George
Harrison plugging straight into the mixing board when there was an amp
malfunction, cool stories like that. Any magazines I should subscribe
to? Video series to purchase? Thanks for the info.

Go to the library, get the last 30 years of Mix magazine and however
many years of R/E/P magazine there used to be.
--scott

Start reading at Pro Recording Workshop, a relatively new forum, and pay
attention. Many stories also at Pro Sound Web. In either case one will
have to do some digging.

http://prorecordingworkshop.lefora.com/

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/

Good stuff buried at The Womb, too.

http://thewombforums.com/index.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
yrret yrret is offline

It doesn't fit the criteria you set but the "Mixer Man" saga is a fun read
if your interested in studio stories. I don't know if its still available
free online.