Sleepgolfer

Default KORG Poly800

any thoughts on this synth? I am thinking of buying a used one...I know
it's totally 80s stuff but I would like to know if you guys had any
experience with it...the guy is asking 130 euros and it's in good condition
studiorat

Sleepgolfer wrote:
any thoughts on this synth? I am thinking of buying a used one...I know
it's totally 80s stuff but I would like to know if you guys had any
experience with it...the guy is asking 130 euros and it's in good condition

IF you don't take it I will...

RD Jones

Sleepgolfer wrote:

any thoughts on this synth? I am thinking of buying a used one...I know
it's totally 80s stuff but I would like to know if you guys had any
experience with it...the guy is asking 130 euros and it's in good condition

One of the early MIDI capable 'cheap' synths.
Not bad for what it is, but doesn't have enough
keys to be played with both hands.
Has some cool sounds for lead lines, but
you are right - it is very dated.
If it were me I'd rather have a Roland
Juno 106 (I did have one back in those days)
Offer 100 if you really like it and everything
on it works.

good luck
rd

Gareth Magennis

"Sleepgolfer" wrote in message
any thoughts on this synth? I am thinking of buying a used one...I know
it's totally 80s stuff but I would like to know if you guys had any
experience with it...the guy is asking 130 euros and it's in good
condition

I used to have one, never really liked it very much but it was cheap and
useful as a second live keyboard at the time. Sounded cheap too.

The biggest problem is it only has one VCF rather than a VCF for each voice
which just about any other synth has. So polyphonic resonant sweep sounds
are somewhat limited.

You know I can't remember now if it is velocity sensitive or not - possibly
not.

Gareth.

George Jones IV

Sleepgolfer wrote:
any thoughts on this synth? I am thinking of buying a used one...I know
it's totally 80s stuff but I would like to know if you guys had any
experience with it...the guy is asking 130 euros and it's in good condition

I had a Poly 800 and a Poly800mkII. I loved them both and even modded my
800 with a filter knob
(http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...x800info2.html). Good
synth, I used mine for basses and stab type sounds.

George Jones IV

Sleepgolfer wrote:
any thoughts on this synth? I am thinking of buying a used one...I know
it's totally 80s stuff but I would like to know if you guys had any
experience with it...the guy is asking 130 euros and it's in good condition

just as a side note, 130 euro's seems a bit steep for one. I bought both
of mine for $100USD and sold 'em for $100USD.

Sleepgolfer wrote:
any thoughts on this synth? I am thinking of buying a used one...I know
it's totally 80s stuff but I would like to know if you guys had any
experience with it...the guy is asking 130 euros and it's in good condition

I had one and hated it, the sound was thin, the filter was nothing
special and it was not that easy to program, I had to get an update
chip so it would send and receive on other than omni or channel 1, and
I was stupid because I traded an 8 string bass for it.

I got lucky though because I sold it six months later for what the bass
would have sold for...

At the time I had a DW8000 (which I still have) and the DW stomps all
over the Poly800.

Given how cheap DW8000's are, I'd just buy one of those, they sound
great for what they are and only get $100 - $150 here in the US.

Analogeezer

The original Poly 800 is one of the first midi synths, and operated
only in OMNI
mode (affects/is affected by all channels). It also could run on D
batteries, and had guitar strap brads at either end so it could be
worn. It took about 10 years for rock keyboardists to realize how
stupid they looked trying to vamp like
a lead guitar player while wearing a plastic keyboard. Fortunately
that period of music is very over. The sound of the Poly 800 WAS kind
of thin, that was part of what charm it had. Also--no velocity
sensitivity, and a single (not very steep ) filter. With enough
reverb it sounded usable, and was one of the first affordable
polyphonic synths.

Philip Perkins