Charles Peterson

Default shipping Rode NT2000 in carrying case

I just got a new Rode NT2000, and I'm wondering whether the enormous
plastic case actually provides much protection for the microphone.
Cleverly, perhaps, the microphone sits upside down in the case.
(That's probably a good idea, because if the case happens to fall over,
the head barely moves.) But the mike sits only a tiny distance above
the bottom, and there's nothing but a few centimeters of
medium-hardness plastic underneath it. There's also a tiny bit of open
cell polyurethane foam on one side only. (Even that foam might
ultimately become a problem, such foam tends to deteriorate eventually.
Seems like headphones using that stuff deteriorate in about three
years.) Is that really enough? It was shipped to me, "new in box"
from an ebay "authorized dealer" with just the factory cardboard box
wrapped tightly around the plastic case. I would have expected another
outer box and padding for something as sensitive and expensive as this.
It weathered standard UPS handling without any obvious external
damage, but how would I know if there were some small damage to the
diaphram or internal shock mounts for the diaphram? Could there be
subtle damage that's not obvious in a quick audition?

How delicate are these things? I recall when I picked up an EV dynamic
30 years ago, the seller told me EV used to demonstrate how rugged they
were by using one to pound in a nail. At least it would be good for
something, if you couldn't find your hammer. I would guess that ribbons
are the delicate ones, and condensers would be somewhere in between.
Actually, from external appearances, this Rode looks and feels (it's
pretty heavy) strong enough to crack boulders.

My el-cheapo Behringer ECM-8000 has a much smaller case, but the thin
microphone itself is surrounded by an inch or more of foam on all
sides.

What are really impressive looking from pictures are the cases the
Neumann microphones come in. But then the prices are pretty impressive
too.

Charles

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Waht is an 'authorised dealer' anyway ? If the duistributor sell to you, I
guess one must be authorised !

Not necessarily. In most countries, there are authorized distribution
channels to (hopefully) assure that dealers know what they're selling
and can offer support to the customer, and so that the distributor
(who ultimately support the manufacturer's warranty) isn't bypassed,
so he's not getting paid up front for service he may have to provide.

"Gray market" products often find their way into the marketplace being
purchased from distributors in other countries, buying closeouts from
foreign dealers, and such. While there may be nothing inherently wrong
with the product (or the sale), you may find that your unit isn't
covered by a warranty in your country.

There was a fairly well known source for Neumann mics in Germany that
gave good service to the US, but you had to send your mic back there
for repairs. And while it's not really a gray market issue, right now
we have Oktava microphones in Russia vs. Otkava USA who sell a Chinese
version of the Russian mic in the US, perhaps exclusively through
Guitar Center. Definitely room for confusion and not getting what you
think you're getting.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )