Bob Hedberg

Default eBay: Mystery laser unit, looks like a special sensor

I work with laser imaging stuff. It looks like a piece from some
imaging device, possibly an old laser printer or film imager.
The collimating mirrors look like they spread the laser into a scan
line, probably for film or something similar.
There are hundreds of laser film imaging devices around, built for the
last 25 years at least. Most are trashed now, and contain a wealth of
optics and laser stuff for someone interested.

I recently trashed a nice motor coupled multifaced spinning mirror
assembly from a film imager, as ebay usually fetches a whopping 5
bucks or so for such expensive precision devices.

Bob H.

"Patrick" wrote:

Patrick

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)

Wbittle

This looks like the raster image processing part of either a small laser
printer or possibly a sacnner. The bottom line is that it is not a HeNe
gas tube laser. It is a laser diode and really not worth that much or of
that much use if you plan to screw around with a laser light show or the
like.

Patrick wrote:

Patrick

Bob Hedberg

HeNe lasers are actually something to avoid with commercial imaging
equipment, as it can exceed the 5mw minimum rating for a class 1 laser
device, and is (used to be) more expensive. We only have safety
stickers for these devices.
As soon as it goes to a class 2 device, it's considered hazardous to
human eyes, and some sort of shielding and interlocks are necessary.
The 5mw laserdiode revolutionized the imaging industry.

I wouldn't ignore laserdiodes, though. I work around multi-watt laser
diodes, grouped together to make in excess of 20 watt devices, and
they contain all sorts of extra stuff because of the class 5 rating if
opened. And this is only for imaging. I'm sure powerful laser diodes
are around in junk equipment. Beware; these can trash your eyes.

Bob