Denman Maroney

Default Novice question: how transfer analog audio to digital?

I have some old reel-to-reel tapes that I want to transfer to digital before
they disintegrate (if they haven't already). The question is how. I assume I
need (1) an A/D converter and an audio editing program.

I have a Dell PC with a SoundMAX Digital Audio sound card. It has one input
jack, but I don't know what kind, and of course the documentation I have
doesn't say. The pin it takes I imagine is long and thin, like what you find
on a portable CD player.

I found an A/D converter at Radio Shack on clearance for $25 (I didn't buy
it yet). It has two RCA inputs and one PCM (coax) output. I could find no
adapter to get the PCM output into the sound card.

As for the audio editing program, I found a free program called Audacity; I
wonder if anyone has used it, and if so what they thought.

Help! Thanks.

George

"Denman Maroney" wrote:

I have some old reel-to-reel tapes that I want to transfer to digital before
they disintegrate (if they haven't already). The question is how. I assume I
need (1) an A/D converter and an audio editing program.

I have a Dell PC with a SoundMAX Digital Audio sound card. It has one input
jack, but I don't know what kind, and of course the documentation I have
doesn't say. The pin it takes I imagine is long and thin, like what you find
on a portable CD player.

I found an A/D converter at Radio Shack on clearance for $25 (I didn't buy
it yet). It has two RCA inputs and one PCM (coax) output. I could find no
adapter to get the PCM output into the sound card.

As for the audio editing program, I found a free program called Audacity; I
wonder if anyone has used it, and if so what they thought.

Help! Thanks.

your sound card can take direct analouge line in from the output of your
rtr or mixer
the a/d is done farther upstream