Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bruce C. Miller Bruce C. Miller is offline

Default Actual audio question

Is audio still on topic here?

I'm wondering about energy efficiency in regards to components,
especially amplification. I have a Class A/B transistor amplifier (At
least, I think it is. It's an Audio Research D200.) and since it's
hooked up to my computer, I just leave it on most of the time. I only
turn off my PC and this amp when I plan to be away from it for more
than a day, which isn't very often.

So, seems to me like it's probably slurping up massive amounts of
power. Even when it's doing nothing, I can put my hand on the beefy
heatsink fins and they're quite warm. I've gone through the trouble of
making an extra energy efficient PC that only draws about 45W or so
when idle, but I suspect my amp is negating any real benefit, and no
doubt making my electricity bill much higher.

I know there's another class of amplifiers that are much more energy
efficient (class D ones perhaps?), and would like some options.
Obviously, sound quality won't be as great, but I can live with that.
Any recommendations on specific amps (integrated or not) to look into?
The main consideration is that it does need to be powerful enough to
drive my Spendor s6e speakers, and preferably is within a price range
that if I wanted to get one, I could sell my current amp (and maybe
preamp) to pay for at least most of it.

Thanks for any help.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Bruce C. Miller" wrote in message
Is audio still on topic here?

**Certainly.

I'm wondering about energy efficiency in regards to components,
especially amplification. I have a Class A/B transistor amplifier (At
least, I think it is. It's an Audio Research D200.) and since it's
hooked up to my computer, I just leave it on most of the time. I only
turn off my PC and this amp when I plan to be away from it for more
than a day, which isn't very often.

**The D200 was a Class A/B amp.

So, seems to me like it's probably slurping up massive amounts of
power. Even when it's doing nothing, I can put my hand on the beefy
heatsink fins and they're quite warm. I've gone through the trouble of
making an extra energy efficient PC that only draws about 45W or so
when idle, but I suspect my amp is negating any real benefit, and no
doubt making my electricity bill much higher.

**I wouldn't characterise it as "much higher". The D200 consumes a little
over 100 Watts at idle. Unless you play it quite loud, then you can just
assume that it is consuming around 1kWhr/day. Dunno what the tarif is in
your locale, but where I am that amounts to around US$0.07c per day. So,
though I don't like to see needles waste of electricity, I doubt that your
amp is a major contributor to your power bill. Heaters, air-conditioners,
pool filters, electric stoves and ovens and, most particularly, plasma TV
sets are far worse culprits.

I know there's another class of amplifiers that are much more energy
efficient (class D ones perhaps?), and would like some options.
Obviously, sound quality won't be as great, but I can live with that.
Any recommendations on specific amps (integrated or not) to look into?
The main consideration is that it does need to be powerful enough to
drive my Spendor s6e speakers, and preferably is within a price range
that if I wanted to get one, I could sell my current amp (and maybe
preamp) to pay for at least most of it.

**A Class D amp will consume considerably less power at idle. Figure on less
than 20 Watts for a typical example, which uses a switch mode (SWPS) power
supply. For those that use linear power supplies, the figure will be almost
as high as your D200. Probably nearer 50 - 70 Watts, depending on design.

Thanks for any help.

**You're welcome.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
"Bruce C. Miller" wrote:

[...]

The Onkyo A-9555 is available at Amazon for under $500. Standby power
consumption is listed at .3 W.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 4 Noi, 22:12, "Bruce C. Miller" wrote:
[...]

__________
I I
I ON I
I _ I
I I I I
I I_I I
I I
I OFF I
I__________I

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Bruce C. Miller" wrote in message

Is audio still on topic here?

I'm wondering about energy efficiency in regards to
components, especially amplification. I have a Class A/B
transistor amplifier (At least, I think it is. It's an
Audio Research D200.) and since it's hooked up to my
computer, I just leave it on most of the time. I only
turn off my PC and this amp when I plan to be away from
it for more than a day, which isn't very often.

So, seems to me like it's probably slurping up massive
amounts of power. Even when it's doing nothing, I can put
my hand on the beefy heatsink fins and they're quite
warm. I've gone through the trouble of making an extra
energy efficient PC that only draws about 45W or so when
idle, but I suspect my amp is negating any real benefit,
and no doubt making my electricity bill much higher.

Good call.

The easiest move would be to learn how to operate the power switch on the
D200 more often. ;-)

I know there's another class of amplifiers that are much
more energy efficient (class D ones perhaps?), and would
like some options.

The D200 being high end probably runs hot because the bias current flowing
through the output stage is exceptionally high. Just picking a more humble
amp (that probably sounds just as good if you can't see the name plate)
would probably save you some bucks. Even more true if the D200 were put up
on eBay.

Also, it is probable that the D200 is vastly overpowered compared to how you
use it. All things being equal, a lower-powered amp draws less current while
idling.

Obviously, sound quality won't be as great,

True as long as you can see the name plate. ;-)

but I can live with that. Any recommendations on
specific amps (integrated or not) to look into? The main
consideration is that it does need to be powerful enough
to drive my Spendor s6e speakers,

It's the old question, drive your Spendors doing what?

it would help if you could do some measurements on the kinds of power levels
that you are actually using.

and preferably is
within a price range that if I wanted to get one, I could
sell my current amp (and maybe preamp) to pay for at
least most of it.

My generic amp recommendation is the Behringer A500. It is relatively
small, somewhat low in cost, and sounds great.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

The Onkyo A-9555 is available at Amazon for under $500.
Standby power consumption is listed at .3 W.

If you actually *look* at the amp (what a concept!), "Standby" is a
manually-selected mode. The OP has already eliminated that sort of thing as
an energy-saving alternative.

While I can't see any trace of one in the manufacturer's page, the controls
and features (such as a motorized volume control) pretty much scream "Remote
Control".

http://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/907onk/ confirms that the unit
has a remote control.

Note to OP - this sort of shallow thinking is typical of what you get when
you end up relying on a high school music teacher as a technical expert
:-(

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bruce C. Miller Bruce C. Miller is offline

On Nov 5, 7:58 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Bruce C. Miller" wrote in

[...]

A valid point. I guess I'm just in the habit of getting up and walking
off. I don't turn it off for the same reason most people leave their
computers on all the time: laziness.

I know there's another class of amplifiers that are much
more energy efficient (class D ones perhaps?), and would
like some options.

The D200 being high end probably runs hot because the bias current flowing
through the output stage is exceptionally high. Just picking a more humble
amp (that probably sounds just as good if you can't see the name plate)
would probably save you some bucks. Even more true if the D200 were put up
on eBay.

Also, it is probable that the D200 is vastly overpowered compared to how you
use it. All things being equal, a lower-powered amp draws less current while
idling.

It does nothing most of the time, even when I'm at the computer. It
plays sound effects from video games and computer beeps more than it
plays music. I've considered selling off the stereo since I'm
obviously not stereo hobbyist material, but I do appreciate its
presence when watching a movie or in the rare case I play a CD or
record.

Obviously, sound quality won't be as great,

True as long as you can see the name plate. ;-)

Another valid point. I doubt the amplification would even have a
noticeable effect if I could switch over to a cheap amp of comparable
stats. The ARC products do look great, and when I bought them years
ago, I admit I did so for vain reasons. I don't regret doing this much
since when/if I ever do sell them, I can get most or even all of my
money back as I originally bought them used on eBay.

I'm still debating my course of action, but after pondering my
situation, interest, and the advice here, I'm leaning towards just
leaving it off most of the time, and using my cheap, crappy 5W PC
speakers. This means the stereo would be completely off and save me
the hassle of having to buy/swap components. It does do a great job
though, so I'll keep it around and swap the output plug to it when
it's movie time (I use the computer for that too). Since that rarely
occurs, this is much less work than turning off the amp and linestage
a couple times a day.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 5 Noi, 08:06, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

Note to OP - this sort of shallow thinking is typical of what you get when
you end up *relying on a high school music teacher as a technical expert
:-(

Its better to take the advice of an expert ashtray designer.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

Note to OP - this sort of shallow thinking is typical of what you get when
you end up *relying on a high school music teacher as a technical expert

Its better to take the advice of an expert ashtray designer.

Funny you should bring that up. Are you aware that Arnii was fired from
Chrysler because of his obsession with designing an ashtray that could
flush turds?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 5 Noi, 21:10, George M. Middius wrote:
Clyde Slick said:

Note to OP - this sort of shallow thinking is typical of what you get when
you end up *relying on a high school music teacher as a technical expert

Its better to take the advice of an expert ashtray designer.

Funny you should bring that up. Are you aware that Arnii was fired from
Chrysler because of his obsession with designing an ashtray that could
flush turds?

obviously a rear ashtray.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 5 Noi, 08:06, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

Note to OP - this sort of shallow thinking is typical
of what you get when you end up relying on a high school
music teacher as a technical expert :-(

Its better to take the advice of an expert ashtray
designer.

Who might that be? Not me!

I have to tell the truth - I never designed any ashtrays or other interior
pieces. I was into chassis design. Do you even know what a car chassis is?
No, I didn't think so. LOL!

Say Art, is there a name for the voice in your head that makes you say
stupid things like this, perchance Middiot? ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Arnii Krooger vs. Reality, part 7,552

LeadenConcreteBorg tries to tell a joke. The result is what you'd expect.

I have to tell the truth

Arnii, I'm impressed. You actually remembered a word from Pastor Matt's
sermon on Sunday.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote
in message

Good luck with your new President, my American friends. I
trust that Obama lives up to his promise. Most of the
planet was hoping for this result.

Wow, how young and naive does one have to be to expect that a politician
will actually live up to his promises?

**Dubya did. He was PRECISELY as incompetent and corrupt as I predicted he
would be. Idiots like you voted for him in droves, just because he claimed
to be a Christian. You were comprehensively fooled. Almost 5,000 US service
personel have paid the ultimate price for that stupidity. And make no
mistake: It is the responsibility of every US citizen who voted for Dubya,
despite the clear warnings, for the mess that the US finds itself in today.

Especially true when many of those promises are the economic equivalent of
perpetual motion.

**I agree that the financial mess that Dubya has driven the nation into is
likely to take a decade or more to reverse. If at all. At least now, the rot
can be stopped.

I also want to cough and gag when people call Obama an African American.
The words apply, strictly speaking. As the name of a cultural experience
in the US, they don't.

**Are you attempting to suggest that Obama did not suffer much of the
problems suffered by many people in the US, just due to the fact that they
don't have white skin?

Oh, well Trevor also believes in cable magic.

**Do I? Care to cite some evidence for that assertion? Please be precise in
your answer.

BTW: Whilst you are at it, how about YOU provide some evidence to support
your nonsensical supernatural beliefs?

I'll wait.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote in message

Good luck with your new President, my American friends.
I trust that Obama lives up to his promise. Most of the
planet was hoping for this result.

Wow, how young and naive does one have to be to expect
that a politician will actually live up to his promises?

rant about several other irrelevant issues clipped

Especially true when many of those promises are the
economic equivalent of perpetual motion.

rant about several other irrelevant issues clipped

I also want to cough and gag when people call Obama an
African American. The words apply, strictly speaking. As
the name of a cultural experience in the US, they don't.

**Are you attempting to suggest that Obama did not suffer
much of the problems suffered by many people in the US,
just due to the fact that they don't have white skin?

If he did, they were quite fleeting as compared to real African americans
who must deal with them for life.

Oh, well Trevor also believes in cable magic.

**Do I? Care to cite some evidence for that assertion?

No need to - I still remember the last time you tried to double-talk and
dissemble your way out of your Usenet record for this sort of thing.

rant about several other irrelevant issues clipped

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Nov 6, 1:53*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Trevor Wilson" wrote

**Are you attempting to suggest that Obama did not suffer
much of the problems suffered by many people in the US,
just due to the fact that they don't have white skin?

If he did, they were quite fleeting as compared to real African americans
who must deal with them for life.

GOIA, a quick question:

Do you feel that Obama is a credit to his race?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote in message

Good luck with your new President, my American friends.
I trust that Obama lives up to his promise. Most of the
planet was hoping for this result.

Wow, how young and naive does one have to be to expect
that a politician will actually live up to his promises?

rant about several other irrelevant issues clipped

**Not really irrelevant. You were happy to comment on those issues
previously. When I showed your foolishness for supporting that lying scumbag
of a President (Dubya), you elected to snip my words. You COULD admit that
you were foolish for supporting him. You COULD admit that the needless
deaths of nearly 5,000 US service people are on the hands of those who voted
for Dubya.

Especially true when many of those promises are the
economic equivalent of perpetual motion.

rant about several other irrelevant issues clipped

I also want to cough and gag when people call Obama an
African American. The words apply, strictly speaking. As
the name of a cultural experience in the US, they don't.

**Are you attempting to suggest that Obama did not suffer
much of the problems suffered by many people in the US,
just due to the fact that they don't have white skin?

If he did, they were quite fleeting as compared to real African americans
who must deal with them for life.

**He suffered more than some and less than others. Either way, Obama KNOWS
the real world, rather than living a life of isolation like Dubya has.

Oh, well Trevor also believes in cable magic.

**Do I? Care to cite some evidence for that assertion?

No need to

**Yeah, you do. That you cannot, merely demonstrates the depths of your
lies. You COULD admit that you lied.

- I still remember the last time you tried to double-talk and
dissemble your way out of your Usenet record for this sort of thing.

**Lack of evidence duly noted. It is hardly surprising that you embrace
nonsensical religious claptrap. You embrace something which defies
common-sense, logic and the laws of science. That you accuse me of a similar
thing, WITH ZERO EVIDENCE, is SOP for a religious moron.

Present your evidence or admit your lies.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 6 Noi, 07:46, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

Its better to take the advice of an expert ashtray
designer.

Who might that be? *Not me!

Well maybe your skills have atrophied
in your retirement, but you used to be an expert at it.

I have to tell the truth - I never designed any ashtrays or other interior
pieces. I was into chassis design. Do you even know what a car chassis is?
No, I didn't think so. LOL!

was this fancy grille your idea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...xicab_1982.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"ScottW" wrote in message
On Nov 6, 1:41 pm, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Trevor Wilson" wrote
in
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
om...
"Trevor Wilson"
wrote in

Good luck with your new President, my American friends.
I trust that Obama lives up to his promise. Most of the
planet was hoping for this result.

Wow, how young and naive does one have to be to expect
that a politician will actually live up to his promises?

rant about several other irrelevant issues clipped

**Not really irrelevant. You were happy to comment on those issues
previously. When I showed your foolishness for supporting that lying
scumbag
of a President (Dubya), you elected to snip my words. You COULD admit that
you were foolish for supporting him. You COULD admit that the needless
deaths of nearly 5,000 US service people are on the hands of those who
voted
for Dubya.

Trevor, I am wondering if you're going to spend the rest of your
life ranting about Bush?

**Let me remind you of a few things:

* Bush is STILL the President. He STILL has the nuclear codes (amongst other
things).
* Bush is responsible how the rest of the planet views the US.
* Bush is responsible for blowing TRILLIONS of taxpayer Dollars on a stupid
war.
* Bush is responsible for lying to the US public.
* Bush is partly responsible for the financial mess that the US (and the
rest of the world) finds itself in today.
* Almost 50% of the US voting population was prepared to see a continuation
of the Bush doctrine (of stupidity).

So, yes, I will remind Bush voters of their stupidity for a long time to
come. They need to be reminded of their stupidty, UNTIL they acknowledge
that they were stupid.

It's kind of interesting that Bush has reached out and touched you
with a fate worse than death.

**Non-sequitur.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

It's kind of interesting that Bush has reached out and touched you
with a fate worse than death.

ScottW-

Bush convinced Arny to spend a week at trevor's house.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Nov 6, 4:09*pm, ScottW wrote:
On Nov 6, 1:41*pm, "Trevor Wilson"

wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

m...

"Trevor Wilson" wrote
in
[...]

2pid, you remind me of a character from a Monty Python skit.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote in message

On Nov 6, 1:53 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"
wrote

**Are you attempting to suggest that Obama did not
suffer much of the problems suffered by many people in
the US, just due to the fact that they don't have white
skin?

If he did, they were quite fleeting as compared to real
African americans who must deal with them for life.

GOIA, a quick question:

Do you feel that Obama is a credit to his race?

Yes, the human race.

****R, its too bad that you lack the prerequisites for joining.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 7 Noi, 02:57, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Nov 6, 4:09*pm, ScottW wrote:

On Nov 6, 1:41*pm, "Trevor Wilson"

wrote:
[...]

Not really, I have never seen Scott wear a funny hat nor ask for
odd cheeses.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Nov 7, 6:46*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote in

On Nov 6, 1:53 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"
wrote

**Are you attempting to suggest that Obama did not
suffer much of the problems suffered by many people in
the US, just due to the fact that they don't have white
skin?

If he did, they were quite fleeting as compared to real
African americans who must deal with them for life.

GOIA, a quick question:

Do you feel that Obama is a credit to his race?

Yes, the human race.

****R, its too bad that you lack the prerequisites for joining.

Are you a good Christian, GOIA?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Shhhh! said:

Are you a good Christian, GOIA?

He is if you include all his "brown" points.