Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Ted Van Norman

Default Newbie question: system upgrade

I am fairly dissatified with my music system right now. While in
college, I put an DVD home theater system together ad-hoc, over time,
and I've come to the realization that it just doesn't sound right when
I listen to music (can you say "living in denial"?). I guess that the
DVD sound of things blowing up and the overwhelming bass covered up
the musical flaws. Here's what the system consists of:

Perhaps I should think about throwing all of the above (except for the
playstation) in the trash and start over. I am not looking to spend a
bundle, probably $2,000 to $2,500. I just want a decent system that
plays *music* that's nice to the ear. So I did some research
tonight...

You are a good candidate for a good ol' old fashioned two channel
audiophile stereo system. They play music. I assume your existing
system is multi-channel which are good for sound effects and movies.

Keep multi-channel system for movies.

Start anew with 2 channel hi-end stereo components for music. Choose
carefully with the idea that you will be constantly upgrading
individual components as your budget allows in the future. I am
reading between the lines of your post but think I am correct in
saying that you are most interested in the best quality playback of
recorded music. That means two channel to a lot of us. Who the heck
can watch that much of TV and Hollywood anyway. You will find that
the better your music playback system gets, the less video you will
watch. I watch the local and National news, that about does it. The
rest of the time it's recorded music.

Connect with a reputable hi-end dealer who will let you bring
components home to audition in YOUR living / listening space before
you make the commitment to buy. If you are lucky, your reputable
hi-end dealer will have used trade-ins of quality components that his
customers have sold back to him as they upgrade. If you are doubly
lucky, your dealer will have lots of doctor / lawyer / professional
type audiophiles with money to burn and constant upgrade fever. The
odds are good that you will find well kept excellent sounding pieces
less the depreciation of buying new. Audiophiles are an anal lot for
the most part and take good care of their equipment. I have had very
good service out of used ARC tube equipment.

Forget the hype and marketing of the audio industry. Recorded sound
does not make giant leaps every year with the introduction of each new
piece of technical wizardery. But they want you to believe that in
order to sell more boxes of course. Hi end components from 10 years
ago can and do sound better than much of the audio industry's
outpourings of 2003. Try out a well maintained 10 year old tube ARC
pre / amplifier and decent turntable / cartridge. The giant strides
of recorded sound claimed by the audio industry (especially the mass
marketers) are dubious at best and more like the tiny inching forward
if at all when you start buying truly high quality stereo equipment.
Don't turn up your nose at that 6 year old Wadia transport. It may
just have better sound than 98% of the 2003 transport offerings. And
the 2% of the year 2003 transport offerings that do sound better will
probably cost more than most peoples cars.

And in case you haven't got my message, GET a great used tube amp and
a top of the line turntable / cartridge (used is fine set up by a
knowledgeable dealer,) That should stir this place up.

Regards,
Ted