How to play CDs in new cars...

Old June 10th 21, 04:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Fishrrman

Default How to play CDs in new cars...

I have a lot of CDs. Many hundreds of them. Thousands of them.

My 2013 Toyota RAV4 has a CD player as a part of the audio
system. No problems there.

But I looked at the new RAV4's, and they no longer have a CD
player available at all in any configuration.

Well, ok, my 2013 also has a USB port (suitable for a
flashdrive with mp3 files on it), along with a 3.5mm analog
input to get music in that way from any device with analog
out via the headphone jack.

But... the new RAVs have only a USB port. There's no 3.5mm
jack, so I couldn't even plug in a small portable CD player
(which I have).

That leaves no practical way to get CD-based audio into the
car's sound system.

I've heard that there are a few portable CD players with
bluetooth, but doesn't BT degrade sound quality "in the
transmission"?

Question:
Are there any small portable CD music players that have
DIGITAL OUT (via USB) as well as analog out? Although I'm
not sure how that would interface with the car's audio
system, which is probably programmed to look for mp3 files
with tagged metadata.

Looks like the only way to take your CDs along with new
cars, is to do what I used to do in the old days: Take the
portable player along with some headphones, and listen that
way...
Old June 10th 21, 06:31 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/06/2021 3:18 pm, Fishrrman wrote:
> I have a lot of CDs. Many hundreds of them. Thousands of them.
>
> My 2013 Toyota RAV4 has a CD player as a part of the audio system. No
> problems there.
>
> But I looked at the new RAV4's, and they no longer have a CD player
> available at all in any configuration.
>
> Well, ok, my 2013 also has a USB port (suitable for a flashdrive with
> mp3 files on it), along with a 3.5mm analog input to get music in that
> way from any device with analog out via the headphone jack.
>
> But... the new RAVs have only a USB port. There's no 3.5mm jack, so I
> couldn't even plug in a small portable CD player (which I have).
>
> That leaves no practical way to get CD-based audio into the car's sound
> system.
>
> I've heard that there are a few portable CD players with bluetooth, but
> doesn't BT degrade sound quality "in the transmission"?

Not as much as being in a car does !

> Question:
> Are there any small portable CD music players that have DIGITAL OUT (via
> USB) as well as analog out? Although I'm not sure how that would
> interface with the car's audio system, which is probably programmed to
> look for mp3 files with tagged metadata.

It wouldn't. That's not what the car's USB port accepts. It expects a
memory stick with folders and files - not a 'live' streamed digital signal.

> Looks like the only way to take your CDs along with new cars, is to do
> what I used to do in the old days: Take the portable player along with
> some headphones, and listen that way...

Dangerous, and not at all the only way.

If you must use actual CDs, then get a FM transmitter dongle for your
portable player and listen on the car radio function.

Or the RAV system may play directly from an iPad.Or suck some or all
your CDs onto an iPad (lossless if you like). And/or copy them onto a
USB stick. Either way it is playing as files from a storage device.

Old June 10th 21, 02:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:31:18 +1200, geoff > wrote:

>On 10/06/2021 3:18 pm, Fishrrman wrote:
>> I have a lot of CDs. Many hundreds of them. Thousands of them.
>>
>> My 2013 Toyota RAV4 has a CD player as a part of the audio system. No
>> problems there.
>>
>> But I looked at the new RAV4's, and they no longer have a CD player
>> available at all in any configuration.
>>
>> Well, ok, my 2013 also has a USB port (suitable for a flashdrive with
>> mp3 files on it), along with a 3.5mm analog input to get music in that
>> way from any device with analog out via the headphone jack.
>>
>> But... the new RAVs have only a USB port. There's no 3.5mm jack, so I
>> couldn't even plug in a small portable CD player (which I have).
>>
>> That leaves no practical way to get CD-based audio into the car's sound
>> system.
>>
>> I've heard that there are a few portable CD players with bluetooth, but
>> doesn't BT degrade sound quality "in the transmission"?

>Not as much as being in a car does !
>

>> Question:
>> Are there any small portable CD music players that have DIGITAL OUT (via
>> USB) as well as analog out? Although I'm not sure how that would
>> interface with the car's audio system, which is probably programmed to
>> look for mp3 files with tagged metadata.

>It wouldn't. That's not what the car's USB port accepts. It expects a
>memory stick with folders and files - not a 'live' streamed digital signal.
>

>> Looks like the only way to take your CDs along with new cars, is to do
>> what I used to do in the old days: Take the portable player along with
>> some headphones, and listen that way...

>Dangerous, and not at all the only way.
>
>If you must use actual CDs, then get a FM transmitter dongle for your
>portable player and listen on the car radio function.
>
>Or the RAV system may play directly from an iPad.Or suck some or all
>your CDs onto an iPad (lossless if you like). And/or copy them onto a
>USB stick. Either way it is playing as files from a storage device.

I have a CD player as well as a USB input in my car. I listen to music and audiobooks. It is so much
easier using a USB flash drive I would never go back to CDs in the car. Each CD has it's own folder
and the radio controls let you easily choose albums and/or songs to play, plus it's safer than screwing
around with CDs while driving. You just push a button, cd changed.

You can use lossless formats, but the car is not a hifi listening room, so mp3s sound great in a car and I
suggest you go that way. The mp3s have more content than your car speakers can ever manage.

Best would be an 8G flash drive, or 16G if necessary. Many car radios and older Toyota systems in particular were slow in

Here is a good portable CD to mp3 ripper. The program is contained in one folder, it doesn't install or change the registry.

https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/cdex_portable
Old June 10th 21, 03:22 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 6/9/2021 11:18 PM, Fishrrman wrote:
> I have a lot of CDs. Many hundreds of them. Thousands of them.
>
> My 2013 Toyota RAV4 has a CD player as a part of the audio system. No
> problems there.
>
> But I looked at the new RAV4's, and they no longer have a CD player
> available at all in any configuration.
>
> Well, ok, my 2013 also has a USB port (suitable for a flashdrive with
> mp3 files on it), along with a 3.5mm analog input to get music in that
> way from any device with analog out via the headphone jack.
>
> But... the new RAVs have only a USB port. There's no 3.5mm jack, so I
> couldn't even plug in a small portable CD player (which I have).

Welcome to the world of pre-obsolete technology. My 2003 car has both a
CD and Cassette player, and I use an adapter that goes into the cassette
slot to plug my phone (and before that, a portable MP3 player) into the
car's audio system.

No need to sweat degradation of audio quality through Bluetooth - road
noise does a better job of that.

There are a number of Bluetooth adapters designed to be used in cars,
most of which also include an FM transmitter for cars (like mine) that
don't have bluetooth.

Here's one for $13. Take a gamble on it, learn from it, use it if it's
OK, return it if it isn't good enough for you.

https://tinyurl.com/3nph4hkn (a link to Amazon.com)

Old June 10th 21, 05:23 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah[_6_]

On 6/10/21 7:22 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
> On 6/9/2021 11:18 PM, Fishrrman wrote:
>> I have a lot of CDs. Many hundreds of them. Thousands of them.

It's definitely time to drop the CD's. There is really no need
for mechanical storage anymore. I would suggest that you start
ripping them to .flac, but I seriously think that the way to go
now is to just have a paid Spotify account. It's worth well more
than $10/month to have access to a massive library (probably
encompassing everything you have on CD) without the need to
manage and back up the music. You can download as much as you
like to your device for offline listening.

Old June 10th 21, 09:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:18:52 PM UTC-4, Fishrrman wrote:
> I have a lot of CDs. Many hundreds of them. Thousands of them.
>
> My 2013 Toyota RAV4 has a CD player as a part of the audio
> system. No problems there.
>
> But I looked at the new RAV4's, and they no longer have a CD
> player available at all in any configuration.
>
> Well, ok, my 2013 also has a USB port (suitable for a
> flashdrive with mp3 files on it), along with a 3.5mm analog
> input to get music in that way from any device with analog
> out via the headphone jack.
>
> But... the new RAVs have only a USB port. There's no 3.5mm
> jack, so I couldn't even plug in a small portable CD player
> (which I have).
>
> That leaves no practical way to get CD-based audio into the
> car's sound system.
>
> I've heard that there are a few portable CD players with
> bluetooth, but doesn't BT degrade sound quality "in the
> transmission"?
>
> Question:
> Are there any small portable CD music players that have
> DIGITAL OUT (via USB) as well as analog out? Although I'm
> not sure how that would interface with the car's audio
> system, which is probably programmed to look for mp3 files
> with tagged metadata.
>
> Looks like the only way to take your CDs along with new
> cars, is to do what I used to do in the old days: Take the
> portable player along with some headphones, and listen that
> way...

__________
How to play CDs in a new car? I don't!...

Last year I just CarGuru'd the exact car I wanted - a 2010 Honda with
exactly the features I wanted(a moonroof, Aux jack, none of the
nonsense asscoiated with electric power steering, just good old
conventional/hyadraulic), and naturally, a CD changer was
standard on the trim level I sought. I scored a great car with well
under 100,000miles on it - about to kiss 80,000mi this month.

Rivers, with his 2003 whatever he drives is even MORE future-proof
(cassette and CD), and provided he keeps on top of whatever
maintenance is needed at his mileage segment

For me, CDs represent roughly 40% of my driving soundtrack, with the
smartphone taking up the remainder - TuneIn podcasts, and of course
much of the music I ripped from my CD collection.

I don't believe in streaming, Spotify, as I cannot control the
edition or issue of the albums I listen to, either from CD or
ripped to the phone. Most of my CDs(of everything from 'Please
Please Me' to 'Nevermind' to 'Future Nostalgia'), are original issue,
and few if any 'remastered' issues. I like it that way, as I control
the sound wuality of what I play in the car - or at home.
Old June 10th 21, 11:36 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/06/2021 4:23 am, Tobiah wrote:
> On 6/10/21 7:22 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> On 6/9/2021 11:18 PM, Fishrrman wrote:
>>> I have a lot of CDs. Many hundreds of them. Thousands of them.

> It's definitely time to drop the CD's.* There is really no need
> for mechanical storage anymore.* I would suggest that you start
> ripping them to .flac, but I seriously think that the way to go
> now is to just have a paid Spotify account.* It's worth well more
> than $10/month to have access to a massive library (probably
> encompassing everything you have on CD) without the need to
> manage and back up the music.* You can download as much as you
> like to your device for offline listening.

Not as lot of use if you are driving beyond interweb coverage.

Old June 11th 21, 01:58 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 6/10/2021 12:23 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> It's definitely time to drop the CD's.* There is really no need
> for mechanical storage anymore.

Sure there is. You can take it with you and you know where it is. Take
care of your CDs and they'll last the rest of your life. No need to
access the Internet to put data there and then take it out.

Copy 100 hours of music files to your phone and you'll be entertained
for a long, but without a good data base you won't be able to find a
specific song if you want it. That's easier to do with CDs. And, as
someone else said, if you use cloud storage for your music, you need a
reliable Internet connection, and depending on what kind of data plan
you have, the meter might be running while you're groovin'.

Old June 11th 21, 03:50 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Fishrrman

On 6/10/21 12:23 PM, Tobiah wrote:
> I seriously think that the way to go
> now is to just have a paid Spotify account.* It's worth well
> more
> than $10/month to have access to a massive library

A good portion of the stuff I have isn't going to be found
on Spotify. You'll have to trust me on that. I'm not going
to pay $10 a month for music in the car anyway. That's why I
have an astounding bluegrass music collection on CD's.
Old June 11th 21, 04:04 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/06/2021 2:50 pm, Fishrrman wrote:
> On 6/10/21 12:23 PM, Tobiah wrote:
>> I seriously think that the way to go
>> now is to just have a paid Spotify account.* It's worth well more
>> than $10/month to have access to a massive library

> A good portion of the stuff I have isn't going to be found on Spotify.
> You'll have to trust me on that. I'm not going to pay $10 a month for
> music in the car anyway. That's why I have an astounding bluegrass music
> collection on CD's.

So select what you are likely to want to listen to in your card, extract
the CDs to your phone or a memory-stick, and you'll have 2 or 3 methods
of getting the music played.

Use a reasonably high rate MP3 or Apple-whatever, or FLAC or ALAC if you
want to use these files for actual hi-fi listening.

New vs Old Cars Bret L Audio Opinions 24 May 6th 10 06:25 AM
HOT CARS jianbabygail Car Audio 2 March 7th 08 05:55 PM
Best cars! Christian ranftl Car Audio 1 May 11th 04 03:30 PM
will mp3 made on NTFS file system play in mp3 players for cars??? CapnGimp Car Audio 1 July 17th 03 05:00 PM
will mp3 made on NTFS file system play in mp3 players for cars??? CapnGimp Car Audio 2 July 14th 03 01:34 AM