Posted to rec.audio.high-end
AL

Default Sand

Was advised o fill bottom of speaker with sand-any comments-what kind
ofsand etc
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

AL wrote:
Was advised o fill bottom of speaker with sand-any comments-what kind
ofsand etc

Where did you get this idea?

Don't.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"AL" wrote in message ...
Was advised o fill bottom of speaker with sand-any comments-what kind
ofsand etc

Fill the speaker or the speaker stand?

Putting sand inside a speaker is an incredibly bad idea.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chris Yates

I have filled my speaker STAND with sand but not the speaker. Why on earth
would you want to do that?? Reducing the volume of the speaker cabinet isn't
usually a great thing to do but what do I know.

"AL" wrote in message ...
Was advised o fill bottom of speaker with sand-any comments-what kind
ofsand etc

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
AL

From the manufacturer's (Vienna, Mzarts) booklet-to dampen--they are
floor-standing and there's a receptacle on bottom

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Hi, Al,

This is the reference from the Vienna Mozart owner's manual (I found it
on the Sumiko / Vienna web site):

OPTIONAL SANDFILLING

Some of our floorstanding models feature an additional hidden
chamber accessible through the base that may be sand filled
for the final touch in system tuning. Sand filling is an
easy and cheap way to improve the reproduction of the bass
range. It raises the weight and stability of the system and
quiets the enclosures throughout a remarkable damping
effect. To fill in the sand, put the speaker on the top on a
soft cloth to protect the cabinet. Then fill in the sand through
the central hole at the base until the chamber is completely
filled up and seal it with the black stubble.

!Do not use moist sand - it can damage the wooden cabinet!

Any clean, dry sand would work well. The idea is to simply add weight
and make the enclosure less resonant.

The sand needs to be dry enough that it flows through your fingers
smoothly, without sticking or clumping. If there is any doubt that the
sand is too moist, I would spread it out on newspapers in a dry area
and let it air dry a day or two.

There are a number of sources for sand, mostly companies that supply
building materials for construction, masonry, etc.

I would try the "Yellow Pages", and look under "Sand and Gravel" or
"Building Materials - Retail". You could probably find good sand at
Home Depot or Lowes. Retailers that sell sandboxes for kids usually
sell "play sand" to fill them. I would think
"play sand" would be nice and clean!

Good luck!

Ken
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
AL

Not inside the speaker-these are floor standing speakers-no
stands-about 37 inches high-with a hole in the botom and plug for
sand--will there be a noticeable difference ?
They are Vienna Mozart's
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Buster Mudd

Use playground sand, the kind for a kid's sandbox. Do *not* use the
kind designed for concrete mixing, it's much too fine and will ooze
dust through all but the most microscopically tight seams.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

I would like to second the recommendation to use playground sand
whether for speakers or speaker stands. To ensure that it is really dry
I further recommend purchasing one of those cheap aluminum foil baking
pans at your nearby supermarket and baking the sand in an oven until
steam no longer rises from it. Obviously the steam is rising from the
moisture that was already present in the sand. Allow it to cool before
filling your speaker/stand and then you can be sure that the sand is
both clean and completely dry.