Mike

Default workshop cat

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg
cheers
scottp

Great picture. Cats are good luck for this
this type of work. Thanks for posting that!!!

Mike wrote:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg
cheers

Patrick Turner

Mike wrote:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg
cheers

My ancient cat which went to heaven last year,
She'd try to hang around the heater under my bench
in cold nights in the shed.
She continued despite a couple of "foot on tail"
incidents, and after 12pm would try to drag me away to retire,
where of course, she'd make herself comfy at the foot of the bed,
despite the occasional "foot kicks cat from under the blankets
incidents'.

She'd wake me up with meows, and with noddings of head towards the
kitchen,
and then towards the door.
Once outside, she'd prowl around, a sniff here, a spray there, and
perhaps a chase and a row
with any other cats.

When she wanted to come inside, she'd try to knock the door down, and
scratch the glass,
so there was only one thing to do, let her in.

I think that cat in your above picture is looking all smug with itself,
since it knows that the top of the CRO is a great place of warmth,
but it also knows the electronics in the box have no ventilation, and
they are cooking themselves
to death just to make snooze conditions just right.

I had an Electracompaniet solid state preamp brought to me by a customer

which cooked itself to a messy
ugly death after being slept on by a cat over a winter period.
Don't tell me cats don't know, since if they lie down on one of our
strange warm box things, it gets warmer .......

Patrick Turner.

Phil Witt

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:17:32 GMT, h (Mike)
wrote:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg
cheers

Here we go again with the cats. Maybe we can keep them in the
"workshop" environment this time!

http://www.mindspring.com/~kc4ktk/helper.jpg
Gregg

Behold, Mike signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg cheers M

Oh goodie - KITTIES! :-D

http://www.scorpiorising.ca/gallery.shtml

Starfire, the B+W one, is my little helper cat. Weather I am cleaning up
garbage, working on the bench, trying to code a script, or whipping up a
batch of panakoeken, he's there to offer a "paw" of assistance ;-)

(in the case of the kitchen work, he knows, "dump the bowl=tasty
treat", lol!)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Tim Williams

"Gregg" wrote in message
Oh goodie - KITTIES! :-D

http://www.scorpiorising.ca/gallery.shtml

But none of the pics show them wandering around your B+!

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

EC

Are cats *really* all that good for discharging capacitors??

EC (who has a dog)

"Tim Williams" wrote in
:

"Gregg" wrote in message
Oh goodie - KITTIES! :-D

http://www.scorpiorising.ca/gallery.shtml

But none of the pics show them wandering around your B+!

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

Robert Casey

But none of the pics show them wandering around your B+!

Seriously, I've heard that animals are more seseptial to shock than
humans are.
Likely because of their usually wet noses and paw pads making a good
conductive
path. Don't let 'em nose around equipment, particularly consoles
without backs
with B+ on tube top caps, etc.

Nothing40

h (Mike) wrote in message ...
Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg
cheers

My cat isn't a very good workshop cat,she brought another mouse inside
lastnight.She chased it behind the TV or something,went to get
something to capture it,and when I came back it was gone! She'll find
it again for me. :-)
But,I do have a couple of those old Fluke DMM's tho. ;-)
Nothing40

Gregg wrote in message news:tdmlb.26061$i92.602@clgrps13...
Behold, Mike signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg cheers M

Oh goodie - KITTIES! :-D

http://www.scorpiorising.ca/gallery.shtml

Starfire, the B+W one, is my little helper cat. Weather I am cleaning up
garbage, working on the bench, trying to code a script, or whipping up a
batch of panakoeken, he's there to offer a "paw" of assistance ;-)

(in the case of the kitchen work, he knows, "dump the bowl=tasty
treat", lol!)

Hehehe I love the "internet kitten" pic at the bottom..
Just think of all the poor helpless kittens! ;-)

Lord Valve

Mike wrote:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg
cheers

I have two workshop coonhounds. If there's a cat
anywhere within 100 yards of the workshop, they'll
be chewin' on it.

"YONDER! BLUE! GIT 'EM!"

Best cat repellent God ever made is a couple of
coondogs in full pursuit voice. Once the icky feline
critters hear 'em, they *never* come back.

Lord Valve
The Anti-Cat

Rich Andrews

Lord Valve wrote in news:3F96280A.EAAC882
@ix.netcom.com:

Mike wrote:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg
cheers

I have two workshop coonhounds. If there's a cat
anywhere within 100 yards of the workshop, they'll
be chewin' on it.

"YONDER! BLUE! GIT 'EM!"

Best cat repellent God ever made is a couple of
coondogs in full pursuit voice. Once the icky feline
critters hear 'em, they *never* come back.

Lord Valve
The Anti-Cat

Whatsa' matter LV? Don't like chinese food?

A cross between air raid sirens and tornados is what you have there.

(:)

Greg Pierce

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:36:03 +0000, the highly esteemed Lord Valve
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

Mike wrote:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg cheers

I have two workshop coonhounds. If there's a cat anywhere within 100
yards of the workshop, they'll be chewin' on it.

"YONDER! BLUE! GIT 'EM!"

Best cat repellent God ever made is a couple of coondogs in full pursuit
voice. Once the icky feline critters hear 'em, they *never* come back.

Hey LV, do you mind if I bring my kitty over? His name is "Fluffy". He's
a cute little bugger - I hope your dogs don't attack him. Here's his pic:

http://tinyurl.com/rv2z

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Gregg

Behold, Greg Pierce signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Hey LV, do you mind if I bring my kitty over? His name is "Fluffy". He's
a cute little bugger - I hope your dogs don't attack him. Here's his
pic:

http://tinyurl.com/rv2z

Hahahaha - go get 'em Fluffy :-D

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
GerryE123

No workshop cat, but look what happened the last time I had a JBL Olympus
speaker in the kitchen:

http://members.aol.com/gerrye123/jblschmo1.jpg

Gerry

Fred Nachbaur

Robert Casey wrote:

But none of the pics show them wandering around your B+!

Seriously, I've heard that animals are more seseptial to shock than
humans are.
Likely because of their usually wet noses and paw pads making a good
conductive
path. Don't let 'em nose around equipment, particularly consoles
without backs
with B+ on tube top caps, etc.

Plus, they're a lot smaller, so the current density will be a lot higher
for a given total current flow.

So as regards nosing around HT, No nose it good nose!

Cheers,
Fred
| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

Chuck Harris

My brother had a cute little bunny, Sam was his name. Sam was a one
bunny demolition team. He crawled into the vent tube on one of my
reflex speakers, and relieved it of all of its internal wiring...
crunch, crunch, crunch...

He went around the house relieving all the lamps and other floor borne
appliances of the insulation on the neutral (grounded) leads of
their power cords.

For some reason, he could tell that it wasn't a good idea to chew the
insulation off of the hot leads. He did it to so many cords, it
couldn't be just a coincidence (could it?).

And of course, he let fly his fair share of jelly beans here and there.

Sam was the last "free range" bunny my brother kept. He still has
a few "yard bunnies" that live in hutches, though.

-Chuck

Troglodite wrote:
Plus, they're a lot smaller, so the current density will be a lot higher
for a given total current flow.

We had a pet rabbit for a short while. It escaped from its cage in the basement
and chewed through the wiring on a freezer running on 220V. Several months
worth of food defrosted and spoiled. The bunny was unharmed by chewing through
220V wiring, but ended up cooked by other means.

Troglodite

For some reason, he could tell that it wasn't a good idea to chew the
insulation off of the hot leads. He did it to so many cords, it
couldn't be just a coincidence (could it?).

Perhaps he was related to the Energizer Bunny? This ability to determine the
neutral wire might be an interesting subject to investigate.

And of course, he let fly his fair share of jelly beans here and there.

I always thought they tasted more like raisins.

Lord Valve

Mike wrote:

Anyone else got a particularly good workshop cat ?
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/moby/xenawksp.jpg cheers

I have two workshop coonhounds. If there's a cat anywhere within 100
yards of the workshop, they'll be chewin' on it.

"YONDER! BLUE! GIT 'EM!"

Best cat repellent God ever made is a couple of coondogs in full pursuit
voice. Once the icky feline critters hear 'em, they *never* come back.

Hey LV, do you mind if I bring my kitty over? His name is "Fluffy". He's
a cute little bugger - I hope your dogs don't attack him. Here's his pic:

http://tinyurl.com/rv2z

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

You'd be surprised...in fact, there's a dude here in Colorado
who hunts mountain lions with only two Redbone hounds.
Hounds - like humans - are cursorial hunters, that is, they
will pursue and harry a selected prey animal until it (or they)
drop(s). Cats, on the other hand, only take one shot at a
prey animal, and, if they miss, let it go and then lie in wait
for the next. Cursorial hunters have a huge psychological
advantage in that they instill fear (and the consequent flight
response) in their prey. The hollering that Redbone hounds
do is just icing on the cake. ;-)

Lord Valve
Houndsman

Greg Pierce

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:09:02 +0000, the highly esteemed Lord Valve

Mike wrote:

[...]

I've seen how they hunt mountain lions. They use the dogs to tree the cat,
and then they double lung the cat with a .22. The cat will hang in the
tree until it bleeds to death, which sometimes takes hours. It is the most
****ing repulsive thing I have ever seen. If a hunter cannot finish the
animal quickly and cleanly then he needs to leave it alone. I have a VERY
low opinion of mountain lion hunters who use this tactic...

In any event, a tiger is very different from a mountain lion. It wouldn't
be much of a contest...

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Mike

Mike wrote:

[...]

I'm kind of astounded by how few steps it took for something which was
meant to be a lighthearted diversion from all the trolling around here
lately to become thoroughly repugnant - sigh.....
Greg Pierce

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:31:48 +0000, the highly esteemed Mike enlightened
us with these pearls of wisdom:

snip
[...]

lately to become thoroughly repugnant - sigh..... M

Sorry Mike. I just felt compelled to point how they use the dogs to corner
the cat, not to attack it (the dogs would lose unless they substantially
outnumbered the cat), and the subsequent inhumane method that is used
to kill the cat.

I take it back though - that style of cougar "hunting" isn't the MOST
repulsive thing that I have seen, but it is definitely up on the list
under the definition "cruel and inhumane treatment of animals".

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Lord Valve

Mike wrote:

[...]

Who is "they"?

From what I've heard, this dude takes 'em down with a 30.06.

It is the most
****ing repulsive thing I have ever seen. If a hunter cannot finish the
animal quickly and cleanly then he needs to leave it alone. I have a VERY
low opinion of mountain lion hunters who use this tactic...

In any event, a tiger is very different from a mountain lion. It wouldn't
be much of a contest...

Keep thinkin' that, son. ;-)

BTW - **** cats. So there.

Lord Valve
American

Greg Pierce

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:33:33 +0000, the highly esteemed Lord Valve
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

I've seen how they hunt mountain lions. They use the dogs to tree the
cat, and then they double lung the cat with a .22. The cat will hang in
the tree until it bleeds to death, which sometimes takes hours.

Who is "they"?

From what I've heard, this dude takes 'em down with a 30.06.

It is very common for many of these "hunters" to use a .22 the way I
described...
It is the most
****ing repulsive thing I have ever seen. If a hunter cannot finish the
animal quickly and cleanly then he needs to leave it alone. I have a
VERY low opinion of mountain lion hunters who use this tactic...

In any event, a tiger is very different from a mountain lion. It
wouldn't be much of a contest...

Keep thinkin' that, son. ;-)

Well, we can always take your dogs to a zoo that has a tiger. We can toss
em in right around feeding time. That should be an adequate object lesson.

BTW - **** cats. So there.

**** cats? Listen, just because they are called "pussy cats" doesn't mean
you should be having sexual relations with em. If beastiality is your
thing, perhaps sheep would be more to your liking? Phil seems to think
they're OK ;-)

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Chuck Harris

Greg Pierce wrote:

I've seen how they hunt mountain lions. They use the dogs to tree the
cat, and then they double lung the cat with a .22. The cat will hang in
the tree until it bleeds to death, which sometimes takes hours.

Who is "they"?

From what I've heard, this dude takes 'em down with a 30.06.

It is very common for many of these "hunters" to use a .22 the way I
described...

How do you know this Greg? I have known many hunters, and I have yet to
meet one that wants his prey to suffer needlessly.

I do know that the various groups like ASPCA and PETA do their damndest
to portray hunting in the worst possible light. Lying and distorting
"facts" as they see fit.

-Chuck Harris

Patrick Turner

Chuck Harris wrote:

Greg Pierce wrote:

I've seen how they hunt mountain lions. They use the dogs to tree the
cat, and then they double lung the cat with a .22. The cat will hang in
the tree until it bleeds to death, which sometimes takes hours.

Who is "they"?

From what I've heard, this dude takes 'em down with a 30.06.

It is very common for many of these "hunters" to use a .22 the way I
described...

How do you know this Greg? I have known many hunters, and I have yet to
meet one that wants his prey to suffer needlessly.

I do know that the various groups like ASPCA and PETA do their damndest
to portray hunting in the worst possible light. Lying and distorting
"facts" as they see fit.

-Chuck Harris

The licensed kangaroo shooters try to kill with as few bullets as possible.
But I am sure some animals die horridly painful deaths.
Its not like the abatoir, where animals are assembled in huddles, knowing in
an animal way
that the end is near, but at least its quick.

Animals must die sometime, like we will have to.
Nature designs them, and us, with survival urges and means, but sooner or
later,
they meet a situation where they are prey to another animal,
or man, or a disease, or parasite, and seldom do too many animals live to the
equivalent
of an 80 yr old man.
The death brought to a wilderbeast by a mauling lion, or a mob of hyeanas
isn't a pleasant sight to behold, and spare a thought for the thousands of
animals
burned alive in last summer's bushfires here in Oz.
I don't like fox hunting in England, or dog fighting for prizes,
or battery hens, or live sheep exporting to the middle east.
It belittles us all to be enthralled in blood sports, and to
tolerate terrible conditions of animals during the whole of their lives.
I don't like duck shooters either.
I value the native fauna.
But the roos sometimes need culling, because too many of them can breed up
in a given area, which has been fenced or altered by man.
Nature culls the animals in Oz. Many perish by starvation or thirst
in times of droughts. Its been like this for an enormously long stretch of
time.
The shooting of wild boar here in Oz is fine, because when you see what the
pigs
do in the wild, as an introduced pest, it isn't pretty.
But then we have wild horses, goats, camels, dogs, cats, foxes, rabbits,
hares,
just to mention a few of what nobody really wants out in the wild.
There are reports of puma, but nobody has videoed one.
There has been a huge number of species extinctions throughout Oz,
and its all quite tragic, and a symbol of what lies ahead for the planet.
I have not touched on what has happened to marine species.
But we continue to over fish.
The whales are coming back, but a lot of other things are in serious decline,
dying horribly when tangled in fishing nets.

I have only had one shot at a fox, from up a tree, with a 22 fitted with
telescopic sights.
I missed by a country mile, and the animal bounded away to freedom in a flash.

I really didn't mind.
I just don't like killing things, or caging them up.
If I was consistent, I'd be a vegetarian, but I is just a bloke.

Patrick Turner.

Greg Pierce

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:37:45 -0400, the highly esteemed Chuck Harris

Greg Pierce wrote:

I've seen how they hunt mountain lions. They use the dogs to tree the
cat, and then they double lung the cat with a .22. The cat will hang in
the tree until it bleeds to death, which sometimes takes hours.

Who is "they"?

From what I've heard, this dude takes 'em down with a 30.06.

It is very common for many of these "hunters" to use a .22 the way I
described...

How do you know this Greg? I have known many hunters, and I have yet to
meet one that wants his prey to suffer needlessly.

I do know that the various groups like ASPCA and PETA do their damndest to
portray hunting in the worst possible light. Lying and distorting "facts"
as they see fit.

-Chuck Harris

I first had reference to it in a book by Massad Ayoob (In the Gravest
Extreme). Since then, I have run into assorted articles on the topic of
using dogs in the hunting of mountain lions (which is considered very
unsporting). The more consciencous hunters will use larger calibers,
or at least a far more powerful caliber (i.e. .22 Swift or .223 Remington).
However, for a time (mainly in the 70s and 80s) many hunters were using
regular .22LR.

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Greg Pierce

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:54:43 +0000, the highly esteemed Lord Valve
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

Cats, of course, should be allowed to run free. If a dog does it, it's
bad. Sure.

Now, this I agree with. All cats I have ever owned have been indoor
cats. IMO, it is stupid and irresponsible to allow any pet free roam.
As shown by the fate that befell the previous posters cats, you aren't
doing them a favor by letting them run free. Indoor cats always live
longer, healthier lives.

The exception are cats used for rodent control in farming areas. The cats
should still be spayed/neutered, and expect to lose some occasionally
from infection, disease, accidents, etc.

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Chuck Harris

Greg Pierce wrote:
I first had reference to it in a book by Massad Ayoob (In the Gravest
Extreme). Since then, I have run into assorted articles on the topic of
using dogs in the hunting of mountain lions (which is considered very
unsporting). The more consciencous hunters will use larger calibers,
or at least a far more powerful caliber (i.e. .22 Swift or .223 Remington).
However, for a time (mainly in the 70s and 80s) many hunters were using
regular .22LR.

Hi Greg,

I'd be curious what Massad Ayoob had to say about cat hunting. Most of
what I have read about him says he is an expert in using guns for
defensive and offensive purposes against humans. I hadn't heard much
about his hunting prowess... I haven't read any of his books.

As far as what "most hunters" do, the only thing I have noticed that
"most hunters" do is hunt during the prescribed hunting seasons, using
the required calibers and techniques. Out here, there is a minimum and
maximum caliber/energy level for each prey.

I keep the hunters off my land, not because I am opposed to hunting, but
rather because they make such a mess, and don't offer anything up in
return for their being allowed to hunt.

-Chuck Harris

Greg Pierce

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:47:52 -0400, the highly esteemed Chuck Harris

Greg Pierce wrote:
I first had reference to it in a book by Massad Ayoob (In the Gravest
Extreme). Since then, I have run into assorted articles on the topic of
using dogs in the hunting of mountain lions (which is considered very
unsporting). The more consciencous hunters will use larger calibers, or
at least a far more powerful caliber (i.e. .22 Swift or .223 Remington).
However, for a time (mainly in the 70s and 80s) many hunters were using
regular .22LR.

Hi Greg,

I'd be curious what Massad Ayoob had to say about cat hunting. Most of
what I have read about him says he is an expert in using guns for
defensive and offensive purposes against humans. I hadn't heard much
about his hunting prowess... I haven't read any of his books.

Actually, the book I mentioned is about the defensive use of firearms. It
is not a "How to" book that teaches shooting technique, gun handling, etc.
Rather, it is a book about the legal and moral aspects of using deadly
force (particularly a firearm) to defend youself from someone trying to
kill or severly injure you. Anyway, he mentions it under the "What caliber
for self-defense" chapter, where he states "Small-caliber advocates will
tell you that most cougar hunters use .22 pistols. They neglect to mention
that the usual procedure is to tree the cougar, shoot him through the
lungs, and let him bleed to death as he clings to the tree limb". Now,
this book is dated 1980. By the 90's, this practice has largely, but not
completely, been abandoned, probably due to pressure and bad press
from various activists groups. However, as recently as a couple years ago
I have known of instances of cougars being taken this way (using a .22).
I am sure more consciencous hunters use more powerful weapons, but
you always have those un-consciencous ones that dont care.

As far as what "most hunters" do, the only thing I have noticed that
"most hunters" do is hunt during the prescribed hunting seasons, using
the required calibers and techniques. Out here, there is a minimum and
maximum caliber/energy level for each prey.

I don't think Arizona has any legally required minimum calibers for most
game. Certain waterfowl hunting areas require the use of steel shot, but
I have not heard of caliber requirements. Since I do not hunt, I am not on
top of such information, of course. Obviously, common sense tells you
that you don't hunt elk with a .223, but I do not believe it is against
the law (better get a head shot if you want it to drop before it runs a
couple miles and loses you).

I keep the hunters off my land, not because I am opposed to hunting, but
rather because they make such a mess, and don't offer anything up in
return for their being allowed to hunt.

I can understand that.

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Lord Valve

Greg Pierce wrote:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:33:33 +0000, the highly esteemed Lord Valve
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

I've seen how they hunt mountain lions. They use the dogs to tree the
cat, and then they double lung the cat with a .22. The cat will hang in
the tree until it bleeds to death, which sometimes takes hours.

Who is "they"?

From what I've heard, this dude takes 'em down with a 30.06.

It is very common for many of these "hunters" to use a .22 the way I
described...
It is the most
****ing repulsive thing I have ever seen. If a hunter cannot finish the
animal quickly and cleanly then he needs to leave it alone. I have a
VERY low opinion of mountain lion hunters who use this tactic...

In any event, a tiger is very different from a mountain lion. It
wouldn't be much of a contest...

Keep thinkin' that, son. ;-)

Well, we can always take your dogs to a zoo that has a tiger. We can toss
em in right around feeding time. That should be an adequate object lesson.

Two dogs vs. a 500-pound tiger on the tiger's home turf?

That's only a lesson on how to stack the deck. You want
a bet? Try this: 500 pounds of Redbone hounds vs.
500 pounds of tiger, any open-field terrain in the world.

My money's on the dogs.

Lord Valve
Houndsman

Chuck Harris

Hi Greg,

kill or severly injure you. Anyway, he mentions it under the "What caliber
for self-defense" chapter, where he states "Small-caliber advocates will
tell you that most cougar hunters use .22 pistols. They neglect to mention
that the usual procedure is to tree the cougar, shoot him through the
lungs, and let him bleed to death as he clings to the tree limb". Now,
this book is dated 1980. By the 90's, this practice has largely, but not
completely, been abandoned, probably due to pressure and bad press
from various activists groups. However, as recently as a couple years ago
I have known of instances of cougars being taken this way (using a .22).
I am sure more consciencous hunters use more powerful weapons, but
you always have those un-consciencous ones that dont care.

There is one thing I notice about hunters, and that is there are about
4 different kinds.

1) hunts for food.
2) hunts to eliminate nuisance animals. (eg. chicken farmers kill foxes,
all farmers kill groundhogs, ranchers kill cougars...)
3) hunts for trophies.
4) kills because it is there.

1 and 2 are the only acceptable reasons to my mind. #2 hunters have a
job to do, and usually don't care too much about how they achieve it.

... Out here, there is a minimum and
maximum caliber/energy level for each prey.

I don't think Arizona has any legally required minimum calibers for most
game.

I would be most extremely surprised to find out that Arizona didn't have
caliber restrictions. But I have no experience with hunting
regulations in that state.

-Chuck Harris

John Templeton

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Greg Pierce wrote:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:33:33 +0000, the highly esteemed Lord Valve
enlightened us with these pearls of wisdom:

I've seen how they hunt mountain lions. They use the dogs to tree the
cat, and then they double lung the cat with a .22. The cat will hang

in
the tree until it bleeds to death, which sometimes takes hours.

Who is "they"?

From what I've heard, this dude takes 'em down with a 30.06.

[...]

Okay LV, I surely respect those hounds but I'll put $50 on the tiger. Ya
think we should cal sigfreid and Roy for a loaner. I hear that there's one
they want to get rid of.

--
John
::::::::::

Jon Yaeger

I hunt for sport. I don't usually eat what I kill, but I make sure that it
goes to someone who will. Is that category 5?

Greg Pierce

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:17:43 -0400, the highly esteemed Chuck Harris
[...]

Indeed they may, but as I said I do not hunt, so I am not up on all the
regulations. It would seem reasonable to have them, lest some yayhoo
decides to go hunting elk with an AR15...

--
Greg

--The software said it requires Win2000 or better, so I installed Linux.

Chuck Harris

Hi Jon,

I would class it more as catagory 1. There is nothing unusual about
sharing the gains of the hunt. It has been going on for as long as
humans have formed communities. If it wasn't for the sport, I suspect
that most hunters would just as soon go to the market for their meat.

Jon Yaeger wrote:
I hunt for sport. I don't usually eat what I kill, but I make sure that it
goes to someone who will. Is that category 5?

I think we've dragged this as far from tubes as we ought to. It's
funny, though, lately the off topic, topics seem to draw more responses
than the on topic ones.

-Chuck Harris

Richard S. McCown

Since then, I have run into assorted articles on the topic of using dogs
in the hunting of mountain lions (which is considered very unsporting).
----------
It's hardly sporting when a lion snags a child or jogger either.
Dogs are effective, that's the whole point.
You have a choice, lions in town, or effective control.
Outlaw hunting with dogs and you're playing with fire.
Then throw in the cost from the *You didn't say they were dangerous loud
enough* lawsuit.
Young lions will be shredded if caught in another lion's territory, it
would be a good thing if they learned the sound of dogs and people are
big trouble, so they might know town is not a good idea either.
Guys tracking without dogs are more likely being followed by a bemused
lion if it's not sick or starving.
The "self-taught bear expert from Santa Monica" got caught napping.
Waiting to shoot lions in town is just stupid.

Patrick Turner

"Richard S. McCown" wrote:

[...]

Real big lions in Africa look set to dissapear from the earth within
100 years, along with maybe half the known species of all other wild
animals.
Maybe in 50 years.

Conditions are changing real fast for them.

The sabre tooth tiger and mammoths also couldn't survive the changes after
the last ice age,
and became extinct, but that wasn't man's fault, it was nature's way.

Patrick Turner.