Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

Default Microphone gain during campain speeches

Why is it that the mic gain always seems to be set way too high during
campain speeches? Is this a production effect that actually has a positive
influence on voters?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

David Grant wrote:

Why is it that the mic gain always seems to be set way too high during
campain speeches? Is this a production effect that actually has a positive
influence on voters?

I think it's a reflection of the level of stupidity that is endemic to
most live sound these days.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
tmaki tmaki is offline

David Grant wrote:
Why is it that the mic gain always seems to be set way too high during
campain speeches? Is this a production effect that actually has a positive
influence on voters?

Although in a slightly different context, both Scott and
Arny said it pretty succinctly:

"The general principle is that there are people with X years
of experience, and there are people with 1 year of
experience X times, and so on." - Arny

"You would be AMAZED at how amateur some of the folks in
that situation are." - Scott

Add to the "mix" the often expressed live sound/recording
maxim "Match the gain to the source" and you get a pretty
consistent technique. The source, in this case, being the
rather "high gain" of the political puffery, promises, and
rhetoric characteristic of the political season.

As we contemplate the outcome of the election(s), don't
forget the basic principles of good audio: Make sure your
source is as distortion-free as possible, maximize your
signal-to-noise ratio as early as possible, have a good
monitoring environment.

Vote early, and vote often...

TM
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

David Grant wrote:
Why is it that the mic gain always seems to be set way too high during
campain speeches? Is this a production effect that actually has a positive
influence on voters?

What do you observe that leads you think the mic gain is too high? Is it
that you're hearing clipping or other forms of distortion? Too much
background noise?

Many of these recordings are made by inexperienced people or with
equipment that doesn't allow the operator to adjust the record level
(such as a video camera with automatic gain control, or a cell phone, or
a pocket recorder) so that's the way the audio comes in to the
production room.

Audio that just sounds loud (at any listening volume) or distorted often
sounds exciting - think fuzzy electric guitars - and does tend to excite
the listeners, some of whom may be potential voters.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dale Farmer Dale Farmer is offline

On 2008-09-10
(ScottDorsey) said:
even if the guy doing the sr doesn't understand gainstaging
that the broadcast is taking a split from the microphone.
Maybe the op there doesn't have any more clue than the sr
system op.

Sound ops? In broadcast? You must be joking.... the TV camera op
just plugs his wireless head into the press box and lets the AGC set
the levels. The radio guys are even worse... they send a reporter
to plug the thing in.

Yah I"ve seen that with the TV guys when I was doing live sr
for an event. I'd give him an aux send from the mixer, with
a method of monitoring it so that I could adjust the level
so that his agc wasn't having to do all level control.
sUrprised the camera op too g.

AS for the radio guys, you'd think if a reporter is gonna
work in radio he or she would at least bother to learn about
setting levels and gain staging, but then ... what do I
know? Even if the management doesn't teach 'em you'd think
they'd have that much ionterest in getting a good product to
their listeners.

You misunderstand what the product is with radio. It is not an audio
signal sent over the airwaves. The product of radio is our ears,
listening to the commercials. Similar to television where the product
is the viewers eyeballs watching the commercials.

--Dale
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

DAle wrote:

AS for the radio guys, you'd think if a reporter is gonna
work in radio he or she would at least bother to learn about
setting levels and gain staging, but then ... what do I
know? Even if the management doesn't teach 'em you'd think
they'd have that much ionterest in getting a good product to
their listeners.

You misunderstand what the product is with radio. It is not an
audio signal sent over the airwaves. The product of radio is our
ears, listening to the commercials. Similar to television where
the product is the viewers eyeballs watching the commercials.

NOt that part I misunderstand at all. I figure that earst
that tune away, or eyes that turn away aren't giving
attention to your commercials. i know if it sucks I usually
spin the dial g. If all that's available sucks, I hit the
big off switch. This means I'm *not* listening to, or
viewing the commercials g.

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken Winokur Ken Winokur is offline

On Sep 15, 8:35*am, wrote:
DAle wrote:

[...]

And why oh why are they still using those small condensers on
goosenecks (Shure?) for all the congressional meetings and
investigative hearings? Invariably the speaker leans into the mic,
pops his "P's" and sends shockwaves into the tv speakers of millions
of Americans. Somebody should have noticed this on day one and said
"this mic just doesn't work for this application" and sent them back.
Can't they at least afford bigger wind screens? Perhaps they could
sell off an extra F-16 jet, and buy up a bunchy of SM57's (battle
tested and impossible to kill).

Ken

Mic to record speeches ian Tech 1 December 19th 05 12:40 AM
recording several long speeches bayydogg Pro Audio 8 October 28th 04 07:12 PM
line level input gain control vs console pre-amp gain? saturation question. perry Pro Audio 2 June 21st 04 10:30 PM
Microphone Preamps that go over 60dB of gain. Peter B. Pro Audio 15 December 16th 03 04:55 PM
PA CONUNDRUM: AMP GAIN KNOBS vs MIXER GAIN SETTINGS Richard Kuschel Pro Audio 7 September 22nd 03 08:30 PM