Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Neil Bradley Neil Bradley is offline

Default Looking for preamp recommendations

Greetings fellow enthusiasts,

I have an A/V system consisting of the following equipment:

* KEF 107 Mk II speakers
* KEF Center channel speaker (model unknown)
* Paradigm Servo-15 v2 subwoofer
* Mark Levinson No. 27 amplifier
* Denon AVR-4306
* Mitsubishi WD-73833 DLP TV

I am using the center channel amplifier on the AVR-4306 for my center
channel, but using the front pre-outs to go straight in to the No. 27.
The Denon switches between the computer (HDMI), Playstation 3 (HDMI),
XBOX-360 (HDMI), HD-DVR (HDMI), and Wii (component). The Denon acts as
my switcher for all components, except the PS3 which gives a blank
screen and is wired directly in to the TV (more on that in a second).
All aforementioned devices (except the Wii) have their sound connected
optically to the AVR-4306.

I am in the market for a new preamp, or a new A/V receiver, whichever is
suitable, that addresses the following two issues:

1) The AVR-4306 will *NOT* pass the PS3 signal to the TV at 1080p/24.
There is a fundamental incompatibility with the PS3 and the AVR-4306.
Obviously any receiver/preamp I'm considering must be able to switch a
PS3 at full resolution with no problems.

2) I am interested in adding a DEQX to the system. I want to get an
S/PDIF output from the front two speakers to be able to run through the
DEQX to the No. 27, so am looking for a preamp that has optical or
coaxial outputs for the front channel pair (in order to avoid going
D-A-D) The DEQX can't take an AC3 signal - it needs to be stereo S/PDIF.

3) Preamp must do all of the typical decoding of HT audio.

I am aware that I will need to get an additional amplifier for the
center channel if I get a preamp.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a preamp that's suitable? Or
perhaps an A/V receiver that's capable of this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have to offer.

--Neil
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On 23 Apr 2008 00:42:22 GMT, Neil Bradley
wrote:

2) I am interested in adding a DEQX to the system. I want to get an
S/PDIF output from the front two speakers to be able to run through the
DEQX to the No. 27, so am looking for a preamp that has optical or
coaxial outputs for the front channel pair (in order to avoid going
D-A-D) The DEQX can't take an AC3 signal - it needs to be stereo S/PDIF.

I do not know of any preamp that will do that but there are modifiers
who will add such outputs by tapping off at the input to the DACs.
Alternatively, you can add an a/d stage but that's counterproductive,
quality-wise.

Kal