Luther Blisset

Default Some questions on how humans hear different frequencies

hi ppl,
i hope this is the right place to ask some questions and please
forgive me, when i don't really know what exactly to ask for, i'm not
too much into audio normally and my english is quite bad.
basically i'm writing a little program which takes a little piece of
music and tries to find another piece of audio of the same length
which sounds similar.
i've started comparing those different pieces of music by their
spectrogram.
now i need some information on how good humans can hear different
frequencies (i've already found some treshhold curves) and how good
humans can hear differencies of loudness and/or volume of different
frequency bands.
the problem for me is that i don't really what to search for, ofcourse
i know how to use google...
thanks in advance for any urls pointing me into the right direction.

frq.

I looked in my audio related bookmarks, these have some information which
you might find useful:

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/contents.htm

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~wareing/3daudio.htm

http://www.parmly.luc.edu/parmly/audio_demos.html

One source I could not find speaks directly to your idea of "bands" in
hearing perception. You have already found the perception curves produced
comparing
amplitude and frequency and how it changes with amplitude. There is
another frequency related factor. Over the range we hear the brain tends
to divide the spectrum into bands in terms of being able to percieve
changes in them. Not surprising, in the regions where speech is concerned
the brain divides the spectrum into many small bands, in other regions it
tends to divide it into larger 1/3 octive bands where grosser changes are
percieved. Also, the perception of direction of sound sources dependes on
the frequency band in which it resides. I hope the links I provided above
will lead you into these areas by the materials they provide as