Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

Default Impulse responce

Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb. They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert .aiff files to split stereo .wav files?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/09/2020 8:29 am, cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb. They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert .aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

Sound Forge will on Windows, as will most other audio editors and DAWs.

Presumably the same in MacWorld, unless Apple is in denial of WAV .....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb. They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert .aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

If you don't have sox installed, install it. It makes life MUCH easier for
doing small conversion tasks like this.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 2:13:03 PM UTC-7, geoff wrote:
On 7/09/2020 8:29 am, cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb. They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert .aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

Sound Forge will on Windows, as will most other audio editors and DAWs.

Presumably the same in MacWorld, unless Apple is in denial of WAV .....

geoff

I'm on a Mac. I can convert to .wav just not "songL.wav" and "songR.wav."
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 2:19:36 PM UTC-7, Scott Dorsey wrote:
cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb. They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert .aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

If you don't have sox installed, install it. It makes life MUCH easier for
doing small conversion tasks like this.

I'll look for sox. Is it a Mac app too? Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/09/2020 11:09 am, cedricl wrote:
On Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 2:13:03 PM UTC-7, geoff wrote:
On 7/09/2020 8:29 am, cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb. They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert .aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

Sound Forge will on Windows, as will most other audio editors and DAWs.

Presumably the same in MacWorld, unless Apple is in denial of WAV .....

geoff

I'm on a Mac. I can convert to .wav just not "songL.wav" and "songR.wav."

If not to save directly to separated L&R files, surely whatever app you
are using the conv.reverb in can easily select one channel and copy to a
new channel/file/ event, save it, and then the same with the other channel ?

Or is this for an app that just uses the reverb and has no basic
editing functions ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

I trying to load impulse response files into Waves IR1. I get a message that says it wants to see two separate .wav files.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb. They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert .aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

If you don't have sox installed, install it. It makes life MUCH easier for
doing small conversion tasks like this.

Maybe I won't use sox. I'm pretty good with your basic DAW. Wasn't looking at learning command line language for converting audio.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 7/09/2020 11:38 am, cedricl wrote:
[...]

If you are using Waves IR1 plugin, presumably you have a DAW or audio
editor application hosting it. Creating two separate (L & R) mono files
from a stereo file should be a trivial exercise in even the lamest of
audio apps. Just a click to select the channel, a drag to a new
track/file, and a Save As for each. Should take about 20 seconds.

No need to go back to the Dark Ages by firing up a command line,
finding the correct syntax, and typing the relatively cryptic commands
into it.

What is your host application ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb. They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert .aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

If you don't have sox installed, install it. It makes life MUCH easier for
doing small conversion tasks like this.
--scott

Maybe I won't use sox. I'm pretty good with your basic DAW. Wasn't looking at learning command line language for converting audio.

Not wanting to sound mean, but anybody "pretty good with your basic DAW"
would have done this in 10 seconds already, and never needed to ask here
surely?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

cedricl wrote:
I'll look for sox. Is it a Mac app too? Thanks.

It's straight C with no clunky gui, so it builds on just about any system
including mac.

It's an absolute lifesaver. It will join, split, and do format conversions.
The sample rate converter is acceptable.

I recently had a couple hundred .wav files that were recorded with split
channels because that was the default on the Tascam recorder. One command
turns them all into stereo wav files. Another command creates normalized
mp3 encoded versions for bands to audition. So much easier than having
to do it all one at a time in the daw.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

cedricl wrote:
Maybe I won't use sox. I'm pretty good with your basic DAW. Wasn't looking at learning command line language for converting audio.

Well, do it in the daw, then, it should not be too difficult. But it's a lot
faster to do it on the command line, and if you don't know how to use the
command line you are missing out on 90% of the capability of the mac.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/09/2020 13:17, Scott Dorsey wrote:
cedricl wrote:
Maybe I won't use sox. I'm pretty good with your basic DAW. Wasn't looking at learning command line language for converting audio.

Well, do it in the daw, then, it should not be too difficult. But it's a lot
faster to do it on the command line, and if you don't know how to use the
command line you are missing out on 90% of the capability of the mac.
--scott

Which is ironic, bearing in mind that the Apple computers originally
only came to be in their position as leaders in the arts due to their
superior WIMP interface. IBM were stuck in text mode at the time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/09/2020 12:16 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
cedricl wrote:
I'll look for sox. Is it a Mac app too? Thanks.

It's straight C with no clunky gui, so it builds on just about any system
including mac.

It's an absolute lifesaver. It will join, split, and do format conversions.
The sample rate converter is acceptable.

I recently had a couple hundred .wav files that were recorded with split
channels because that was the default on the Tascam recorder. One command
turns them all into stereo wav files. Another command creates normalized
mp3 encoded versions for bands to audition. So much easier than having
to do it all one at a time in the daw.
--scott

About as easy as a script in Sound Forge then.\

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

cedriclÂ* wrote:
I'll look for sox. Is it a Mac app too? Thanks.

It's straight C with no clunky gui, so it builds on just about any system
including mac.

It's an absolute lifesaver.Â* It will join, split, and do format
conversions.
The sample rate converter is acceptable.

I recently had a couple hundred .wav files that were recorded with split
channels because that was the default on the Tascam recorder.Â* One
command
turns them all into stereo wav files.Â* Another command creates normalized
mp3 encoded versions for bands to audition.Â* So much easier than having
to do it all one at a time in the daw.
--scott

About as easy as a script in Sound Forge then.\

Beat me to it. Any good DAW has macro's/scripts/actions. Whatever you
are familiar with is often easiest. But I'd compare actual results
before choosing any method.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

cedricl wrote:
I'll look for sox. Is it a Mac app too? Thanks.

It's straight C with no clunky gui, so it builds on just about any system
including mac.

It's an absolute lifesaver. It will join, split, and do format conversions.
The sample rate converter is acceptable.

I recently had a couple hundred .wav files that were recorded with split
channels because that was the default on the Tascam recorder. One command
turns them all into stereo wav files. Another command creates normalized
mp3 encoded versions for bands to audition. So much easier than having
to do it all one at a time in the daw.

About as easy as a script in Sound Forge then.\

Pretty much the same, except not proprietary. A lot of DAWs have scripting
languages built into them because the underlying operating system has fallen
down on the job.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

cedricl wrote:
[...]

No. Scripting functions built into them in order to use the applications
own propriety functions using its own code, and that of hosted plugins.

Of course one could exit to an OS command line to do all sorts of things
if they were implemented, but if a dedicated fundamentalist and you
could do everything that way in the OS itself, what would be the point
of having applications ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
On 9/09/2020 12:29 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:

About as easy as a script in Sound Forge then.\

Pretty much the same, except not proprietary. A lot of DAWs have scripting
languages built into them because the underlying operating system has fallen
down on the job.

No. Scripting functions built into them in order to use the applications
own propriety functions using its own code, and that of hosted plugins.

Of course one could exit to an OS command line to do all sorts of things
if they were implemented, but if a dedicated fundamentalist and you
could do everything that way in the OS itself, what would be the point
of having applications ?

That's what sox is, it's an application that does simple tasks. The point
of the Software Tools environment is to have small applications that can
be chained together to do very powerful things.

Not all of those applications are part of the OS, many of them are things you
add and you run from the OS.

So you use sox -called by- a script in the operating system. You can actually
operate some all-in-one DAW packages that way too, although it feels like an
afterthought on most of them today.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 9/09/2020 11:03 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
[...]

Beats me as to *why* one would prefer that option for anything but the
simplest of one-off transactions n- unless blind and relying on a
text-to-speech (and vice-versa) interface.

And I grew up on command lines. And 6800 machine code before that.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_6_] James Price[_6_] is offline

On Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 3:29:27 PM UTC-5, cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb.
They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert
.aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

Reaper (a DAW that's available for Mac) has a fully functional free trial. Import
the .AIFF to a track in Reaper, pan the track to one side, render the track to mono,
then pan it to the other side and render it to mono.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 14/10/2020 12:49 pm, James Price wrote:
On Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 3:29:27 PM UTC-5, cedricl wrote:
Playing around with importing impulse response files into a convolution reverb.
They want to be split stereo .wav files. My files are .aiff files. What will convert
.aiff files to split stereo .wav files?

Reaper (a DAW that's available for Mac) has a fully functional free trial. Import
the .AIFF to a track in Reaper, pan the track to one side, render the track to mono,
then pan it to the other side and render it to mono.

'Switch' by NCH Software converts WAV to AIF . Dunno about AIFF or what
the difference is...

geoff

Impulse Removal Daily Planet Studios Pro Audio 4 January 25th 05 12:06 AM
Frequency Responce HDCD vs SACD vs DVDA Orville Phillips High End Audio 10 May 13th 04 03:06 AM
KICKER I5.2 impulse component set Rob K. Marketplace 4 November 9th 03 12:18 AM
L2 bass responce ron caser Pro Audio 8 August 18th 03 08:54 AM
What do I need to measure the frequency responce of my speakers? HONG KONGer Audio Opinions 8 August 2nd 03 08:41 PM