Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] its_peake@yahoo.com is offline

Default ADA STD-1 Analog Delay/Chorus Power Supply Fix Doc Uploaded

ADA Depot folks consider this sort of thing to be free-range; I'm not
sure about the copyright laws, but this is important information for
anyone who owns an STD-1 analog chorus/delay. I had purchased one on
ebay, knowing that it was broken, and this turned out to be the fix.

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1305600134&size=o

"Due to the high failure rate of the SG4501 voltage regulator (U26) in
the STD-1, current and future production units will be using a
Motorola MC1468 as a replacement.

Should you encounter a regulator problem in an STD-1, the quickest
procedure would be to call us for a replacement regulator and install
it in place of the old chip. However, it is also neccessary to make a
minor modification, as shown in the drawings below. Basically, just
clip out R199 and C111, and add a 20K 1/4watt resistor as shown."

Full schematics are he

http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/gear.../ADA-STD-1.htm

Also, a couple of items of interest...download the schemos if you're
interested.

The sweep range is factory set below the maximum "clean" range that is
possible from the unit. You can get wider modulation ranges without a
loss in audio quality or introducing clock noise, by slighly adjusting
the appropriate trimpot by hand. Mark the original position if you're
hesitant about such things.

Also, I'm reading for the first time that the LPFs in the unit are set
to 13.8KHz or so. I'm wondering and betting that this is a
conservative setting, like the sweep range, and am interested in how
the unit would sound with that moved up a bit... (JH notes in one of
his projects that the EH flangers might actually lack input and output
reconstruction filters, which would be why the Electric Mistress has
such a lovely sizzle.)

I'll probably drop a different cap into the clock circuit at some
point just to hear how mangled it would sound doing long delays. Might
be nice to hook up a switch to change the clock and filter freqs
simultaneously...

If you wanted to go nuts, the NE57x chips could be replaced by THAT
compansion...which I'm sure would sound better.