Wenslauw

Default Thoughts on Magneplanar MGIIB Speakers?

"Nicholas Currie Schmuck" wrote in message
Hi, I have a chance to purchase a set of ~20 year old Magneplanar MGIIBs
that are in good condition. What is a fair price for these
speakers? Does anyone have any experience with these speakers - are they
good? The reviews of the current day speakers are very good, but I havent
found anything about MGIIBs - thanks!

My first question would be why you would even consider buying 20 year old
speakers you don't know anything about?
With old Maggies there can be tears in the membrane from wear. And the wires
on the membrane can have gotten loose. At least that's what I think could be
the case. I'm really looking in to Magnepan as I am thinking of buying the
1.6 model. hm, not thinking anymore, just thinking of when the right time
is.

Wenslauw

Joseph Oberlander

You might look at a pair of new MMGs - not too bad and definately
the right price at $550(IIRC) a pair.
Jason Kau

Nicholas Currie Schmuck wrote:
The speakers are my bosses that he used for his home stereo. About 5
years ago he put them into storage and hasnt used them since. He said
when he put them in storage they were in perfect working condition. So i
do know something about them, sorry, i should have made that apparant. He
said they would be really cheap if I wanted them, provided they arent
damaged, of course. Ill take your advice into consideration though when
examining for damage though, thanks.

My dad had a pair of MG-IIA's he bought in 1979 I believe. It required
two rebuilds--one the late 80s and one in the late 90s (he gave them away
this year to a friend).

IMO, they could fail at any moment given their age, even if they weren't
used much over their lifetime.

--
Jason Kau
http://www.cnd.gatech.edu/~jkau
Uptown Audio

They will in all probability need new membranes and that would off-set
their cost. They would therefore need to be very affordable, say
$50.00. It will likely cost a few hundred to get them back together
and the total bill of $350.00 for a renewed set would be acceptable if
it's planars that you fancy. They also behave differently from regular
(dynamic) loudspeakers and you may find them not to be as cool as the
initial thought once all is said and done. As if that wasn't enough,
buy them from your boss? What are you thinking?! I can't think any any
good scenarios arising from a problem with the transaction. All that
considered, I would pass.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Wenslauw wrote:

[...]

Uptown Audio

They will in all probability need new membranes and that would off-set
their cost. They would therefore need to be very affordable, say
$50.00. It will likely cost a few hundred to get them back together
and the total bill of $350.00 for a renewed set would be acceptable if
it's planars that you fancy. They also behave differently from regular
(dynamic) loudspeakers and you may find them not to be as cool as the
initial thought once all is said and done. As if that wasn't enough,
buy them from your boss? What are you thinking?! I can't think any any
good scenarios arising from a problem with the transaction. All that
considered, I would pass. On the other hand, you may like the look and
sound, and you may not care if there is a problem and would never
complain if there were, and the cost means nothing to you as it is
just for kicks, and your boss is "cool".
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

[...]

Harry Lavo

"Nicholas Currie Schmuck" wrote in message
Hi, I have a chance to purchase a set of ~20 year old Magneplanar MGIIBs
that are in good condition. What is a fair price for these
speakers? Does anyone have any experience with these speakers - are they
good? The reviews of the current day speakers are very good, but I havent
found anything about MGIIBs - thanks!

They are fine speakers, with a lucid midrange. They are not as extended or
neutral or airy on top as current models. They are fully "planar" and have
no ribbon tweeter. They produce bass effectively down to about 50hz. Like
all Maggies, placement is important. The pair I had was driven solid state
at the time and could deliver 3d magical imaging when set up toed in about
30deg and set apart about eight feet, about two feet from the rear wall.
The demand to be played moderately loud to loud to sound their best, and are
best for jazz, instrumental/vocal, and chamber music.

Hope this helps.

Harry

4seasonphoto

When new, those were very decent speakers but sound their best well away
from the back or side walls, and always did sound kind of rolled-off in
the upper frequencies, though with use and aclimatization, you get used
to it. Later variations of the MGII incorporated ribbon tweeters, but I
didn't like these at all, as I thought they weren't a good sonic match.
If you want a ribbon tweeter, the MGIII is much better.

Maintenance issues, yes there's the potential for that! A fairly handy
owner can perform a surprisingly big rebuild, but it's labor-intensive.
The trick to very quickly determining if something is wrong is to play
some music with heavy bass notes (reggae ought to work fine): If you
hear odd buzzes, that's a sign of loose wires (not to be confused with
the sound of a Maggie bottoming out at high listening levels). And of
course if it REALLY sounds rolled of, it's time to lay down some new
tweeter wires 'cause the aluminum wire used doesn't last forever.

Nicholas Currie Schmuck wrote:
Hi, I have a chance to purchase a set of ~20 year old Magneplanar MGIIBs
that are in good condition. What is a fair price for these
speakers? Does anyone have any experience with these speakers - are they
good? The reviews of the current day speakers are very good, but I havent
found anything about MGIIBs - thanks!

WWCASE

I had a pair...love/hate. Okay on acoustic, low-dynamics. But those thin
little wires on the membranes are vulnerable to corrosion breaks when old. The
1.6's sound much better to me.