Posted to rec.audio.car
Kevin Van Sant Kevin Van Sant is offline

Default how much space for speakers

I've just installed some Infinity Reference 6012si speakers in the
doors of my civic. They fit into the existing space though it was
very tight. The magnet and possibly some of the speaker frame is
making firm contact with the plastic backing of the door. I had read
where some people who had installed these speakers into the same year
Civic had cut away some plastic in the opening to allow them to fit.
Since I was able to whether speaker performance is better off one way
or the other. Is it advisable to cut away some of the plastic (it
would be easy enough to do) to give the speakers more space in back?
....or not? Does it make any difference if there is contact with the
magnet and frame (certainly not interfering with the cone in any way)

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Kevin Van Sant" wrote in message
I've just installed some Infinity Reference 6012si speakers in the
doors of my civic. They fit into the existing space though it was
very tight. The magnet and possibly some of the speaker frame is
making firm contact with the plastic backing of the door. I had read
where some people who had installed these speakers into the same year
Civic had cut away some plastic in the opening to allow them to fit.
Since I was able to whether speaker performance is better off one way
or the other. Is it advisable to cut away some of the plastic (it
would be easy enough to do) to give the speakers more space in back?
...or not? Does it make any difference if there is contact with the
magnet and frame (certainly not interfering with the cone in any way)

Thanks.

It is ok to cut away that plastic in the back and the speaker will still
play ok.
The only thing you have to watch out for is when you roll the windows down.
if the speaker is to deep it may hit the window.
so be sure to roll the window up and down to make sure it clears before
putting the door panels back together

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kevin Van Sant Kevin Van Sant is offline

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:47:51 GMT, "e-nigma"
wrote in message :

"Kevin Van Sant" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for responding, however I already know it is OK to cut it, the
question is... is it BETTER to cut it? Which is better, considering
ONLY speaker performance? Fit is not a problem either way. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

news
wrote in message :

"Kevin Van Sant" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It makes no difference. The back of the plastic has many openings so it
doesn't act as an enclosure.
It is mainly so no water drips on the speaker

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kevin Van Sant Kevin Van Sant is offline

wrote in message :

[...]

I appreciate your answers, so let me try to clarify one last time.
Quoting from my original post: Does it make any difference if there is
CONTACT with the magnet and frame? Currently, as installed, the
speaker is wedged up against that plastic pretty firmly. It's that
contact that I wonder about, and whether it affects performance one
way or another or nil. Thanks again.

Posted to rec.audio.car

wrote in message :

"Kevin Van Sant" wrote in message
m...
[...]

As long as nothing touches the speaker cone when it moves, and the speaker
frame does not warp, bend or bind from being to tight, then it should not be
a problem. I have seen inexpensive speakers warp the frame from being to
tight and cause the voice ciol to rub the frame when moving, but those
Infinity's should be ok

Posted to rec.audio.car
FasDeth FasDeth is offline

Kevin Van Sant wrote:
They fit into the existing space though it was
very tight. The magnet and possibly some of the speaker frame is
making firm contact with the plastic backing of the door.
Thanks.

Try making a 1/8 - 1/4 spacer if the the door panels allow it.
I would keep cutting to a min. Like 'E said it prob keeps water off..
My doors are so narrow I have maybe a 1/16 clearance between the glass
and speaker....

FD