SF

Default Is Mitsui Gold CD-R really any better than Silver?

I prefer branded blanks (just because the printed lines are handy) but
it seems to be getting harder to find Mitsui branded gold discs.

As a result, I'm probably going to move to either unbranded gold discs
or to branded silver blanks. How much difference is there between
these media? Mitsui claims a 300-year lifespan for gold vs. 100 years
for silver, but since both use the same phthalocyanine base how are
they truly different? Is gold less susceptible to laser rot than
silver? Has anyone ever had a silver Mitsui disc go bad?

Please respond to the group instead of to my spam bucket e-mail
address.
Charles Van Winkle

At the Indiana University School of Music we probably go through about 5000
mitsui golds a year (about 1500 performances). They are our main format for
archives now. My understanding is that the gold is less succeptable to
breaking down due to sunlight. I'm sure there are other reasons. There are
many books out there that discuss CD construction. I haven't heard of any
problems from them, but its kinda too soon to tell. Check back in a century
or so :-)

www.cvanwinkle.com

"SF" wrote in message
om...
I prefer branded blanks (just because the printed lines are handy) but
it seems to be getting harder to find Mitsui branded gold discs.

As a result, I'm probably going to move to either unbranded gold discs
or to branded silver blanks. How much difference is there between
these media? Mitsui claims a 300-year lifespan for gold vs. 100 years
for silver, but since both use the same phthalocyanine base how are
they truly different? Is gold less susceptible to laser rot than
silver? Has anyone ever had a silver Mitsui disc go bad?

Please respond to the group instead of to my spam bucket e-mail
address.

Troy

These measurments of time on a cd are under perfect conditions also.Meaning
its never touched or played.In the real world I don't think they will last
this long.But in 100 years it won't mater as there will be some new format
long before then.The silvers will be fine.

SF wrote in message
om...
I prefer branded blanks (just because the printed lines are handy) but
it seems to be getting harder to find Mitsui branded gold discs.

As a result, I'm probably going to move to either unbranded gold discs
or to branded silver blanks. How much difference is there between
these media? Mitsui claims a 300-year lifespan for gold vs. 100 years
for silver, but since both use the same phthalocyanine base how are
they truly different? Is gold less susceptible to laser rot than
silver? Has anyone ever had a silver Mitsui disc go bad?

Please respond to the group instead of to my spam bucket e-mail
address.

Garthrr

In article , "Charles Van Winkle"
writes:

At the Indiana University School of Music we probably go through about 5000
mitsui golds a year (about 1500 performances). They are our main format for
archives now. My understanding is that the gold is less succeptable to
breaking down due to sunlight.

Sunlight? When does sunlight ever contact a CD?
Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
Charles Van Winkle

I should have said ultraviolet light. Sunlight was too ambiguous. The golds
also resist the effects of oxygen, moisture and solvents when compared to
the silver.

But the silver has a higher reflectivity.

writes:

At the Indiana University School of Music we probably go through about

5000
mitsui golds a year (about 1500 performances). They are our main format

for
archives now. My understanding is that the gold is less succeptable to
breaking down due to sunlight.

Sunlight? When does sunlight ever contact a CD?
Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney

Carey Carlan

"Troy" wrote in
. ca:

These measurments of time on a cd are under perfect conditions
also.Meaning its never touched or played.In the real world I don't
think they will last this long.But in 100 years it won't mater as
there will be some new format long before then.The silvers will be
fine.

On a different slant, I don't like the Mitsui golds because the label side
is not as smooth as it is on the silver CD's. I can't print as nice a
label on the golds.
Roger W. Norman

Hey, I just had that come up with a client. She had the only existing CD-Rs
of her festival recordings (I don't archive them all) and the one she
supplied me wasn't but 6 months old but the Silver top (I know, it's not the
substrate, but bare with me) had turned gold from sitting on a window ledge
that only got marginal direct sunlight. The thing is, the stupid "pits" had
deformed enough to cause crackling just like vinyl and made that disc,
although transferrable, unusable for the live CD we were compiling.

So, regardless, they do see some sunlight sometimes. Remember, with clients
anything is possible, from extraordinary performances to some of the
stupidest things you can think of. Putting your only master reference CD-R
in harm's way is one of the stupid things.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

writes:

At the Indiana University School of Music we probably go through about

5000
mitsui golds a year (about 1500 performances). They are our main format

for
archives now. My understanding is that the gold is less succeptable to
breaking down due to sunlight.

Sunlight? When does sunlight ever contact a CD?
Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney

Garthrr

In article , "Roger W. Norman"
writes:

So, regardless, they do see some sunlight sometimes. Remember, with clients
anything is possible, from extraordinary performances to some of the
stupidest things you can think of.

Yeah now that you mention it I suppose that does happen. I had a client bring
in a CDR of a mix we had done and it looked like he had been sanding it with
coarse sandpaper. I cant even imagine how it got that scratched. Needless to
say, it didnt play well.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
EggHd

Try using a thumbpick.

They make a nice washboard for smooth jazz.

---------------------------------------
LeBaron & Alrich

EggHd wrote:

Try using a thumbpick.

They make a nice washboard for smooth jazz.

Man, now you've invented a whole new gen Jacuzzi Jugband Jazz.

Let's call Bill Bored!

--
ha
EggHd

Man, now you've invented a whole new gen Jacuzzi Jugband Jazz.

If that combo can't put you to sleep, nothing will.

---------------------------------------
LeBaron & Alrich

EggHd wrote:

Man, now you've invented a whole new gen Jacuzzi Jugband Jazz.

If that combo can't put you to sleep, nothing will.

But it's all in the marketing, right? With their first few selections
they get a free minidonut neckwrap lifepreserver, so they don't wind up
like the "too many martinis in the 105 degree tub" club members.

--
ha

EggHd

But it's all in the marketing, right? With their first few selections
they get a free minidonut neckwrap lifepreserver, so they don't wind up
like the "too many martinis in the 105 degree tub" club members.

Free? This is upper demo.

LeBaron & Alrich

EggHd wrote:

But it's all in the marketing, right? With their first few selections
they get a free minidonut neckwrap lifepreserver, so they don't wind up
like the "too many martinis in the 105 degree tub" club members.

Free? This is upper demo.

We will need a theme for the repubs, too. And not free...

--
ha