Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Pinaki Pinaki is offline

Default Arcam integrated

I am looking to replace my aging NAD 314 integrated amp. Not really
looking for an upgrade - the NAD is starting to get flaky. I am
considering
Arcam as a replacement. There seems to be a few A65's available
in audiogon for around $375. Is that a good choice? I definitely need
a phono stage. The other thing I am looking for is durability.
Frankly,
I had expected the NAD to last a few more years. How is Arcam
in this regard? Other choices? I'd like to stay this side of $500,
preferably sub-$400. There is also a Marantz PM 7200 that looks
pretty impressive. Any opinions on that?

TIA,
Pinaki.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz Norman M. Schwartz is offline

"Pinaki" wrote in message
I am looking to replace my aging NAD 314 integrated amp. Not really
looking for an upgrade - the NAD is starting to get flaky. I am
considering
Arcam as a replacement. There seems to be a few A65's available
in audiogon for around $375. Is that a good choice? I definitely need
a phono stage. The other thing I am looking for is durability.
Frankly,
I had expected the NAD to last a few more years. How is Arcam
in this regard? Other choices? I'd like to stay this side of $500,
preferably sub-$400. There is also a Marantz PM 7200 that looks
pretty impressive. Any opinions on that?

The Marantz 7001 is said to be an improvement over the 7200, but of coruse
is more costly:
http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...ku=AMARAPM7001

TIA,
Pinaki.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Mar 2, 6:07 pm, "Pinaki" wrote:
I am looking to replace my aging NAD 314 integrated amp. Not really
looking for an upgrade - the NAD is starting to get flaky. I am
considering
Arcam as a replacement. There seems to be a few A65's available
in audiogon for around $375. Is that a good choice? I definitely need
a phono stage. The other thing I am looking for is durability.
Frankly,
I had expected the NAD to last a few more years. How is Arcam
in this regard? Other choices? I'd like to stay this side of $500,
preferably sub-$400. There is also a Marantz PM 7200 that looks
pretty impressive. Any opinions on that?

Rotel and Yamaha have also made integrateds in the mid-hundreds. I
think there was a Denon around for a while, too, and even a Pioneer.
Not sure they all had phono stages, but you can always pick up one of
those separately. Any of these brands should offer better reliability
than NAD. Rotel seems to have a particularly good reputation for
reliability.

Of the two you've mentioned, I'd lean toward the more powerful
Marantz.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"bob" wrote in message
On Mar 2, 6:07 pm, "Pinaki" wrote:
[...]

Onkyo made a 100wpc integrated back in the early-mid '90's, the A-RV401. It
features tuner, auxilliary, phono, two tape loops, and both front and rear
composite av inputs. It has excellent, transparent sound, a good headphone
outlet, and can be bought used on eBay when available (not all that
frequently) for under $200.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
erich erich is offline

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 23:07:09 +0000, Pinaki wrote:

I am looking to replace my aging NAD 314 integrated amp. Not really
looking for an upgrade - the NAD is starting to get flaky. I am
considering
Arcam as a replacement. There seems to be a few A65's available
in audiogon for around $375. Is that a good choice? I definitely need
a phono stage. The other thing I am looking for is durability.

I just bought a Onkyo's A-9555 after considering several models. It is a
very very nice 85W integrated Class D amp for $600. You can get refurbs
for $500:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-...em/ONKA9555SLV

Check out the buzz on it, I think you will be impressed.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DW DW is offline

Hello Pinaki,

The Arcam is a good choice as an upgrade over the NAD. I've had several NAD
products (i.e. amps and CD players) over the past 10 years or so, and the
performance has been good in some cases and fair in others, but I've had
reliability issues with all but the 515 changer. I've had Arcam gear for 5
or so years and have only had pristine performance, very good build quality,
and last, but not least, no reliability issues whatsoever.

There are other good choices from Music Hall, Creek, and Cambridge Audio if
you can find them on the used market in your price range. I'm not too
impressed of the performance (they look well-built however) of the newer
Marantz gear -professional reveiws included.

Happy Listening!

Best regards,

-DW