Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] yksmir@yahoo.com is offline

Default AR90 worth?

I have a couple of great shape AR90 speakers I want to sell. Foam has
been replaced. Is it better to do it on consignment at some local store
or is there some trade magazine I could put the info into? Idealy what
could I hope to get for the pair?

Thanks
Randy in L.A.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
I have a couple of great shape AR90 speakers I want to sell. Foam has
been replaced. Is it better to do it on consignment at some local store
or is there some trade magazine I could put the info into? Idealy what
could I hope to get for the pair?

Thanks
Randy in L.A.

AR90s verge on 'cult' status as the poor man's AR9. I would figure that
any buyer focused on _those_ speakers would not be concerned with the
condition of the foam as much as the originality of the drivers. They
would expect to do their own foam replacement (I certainly would) to
make sure that proper materials were installed correctly vs. some
get-it-in-to-sell generic surround.

But, all that being said, ~$400 +/- for the pair, higher if shipping is
not an issue, lower if it is a great issue, with the additional
measures of condition, condition and condition being a factor. In these
days of SET-based systems and "full-range single-driver horns" and
such-like, true nearly-full-range speakers at a reasonable price are
getting quite rare, and vintage speakers of that nature in good
condition even rarer. The 90 is a pig for power, but if that issue is
solved, they are quite elegant speakers with a very nice sound.

Question: Why are you selling them?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[...]

Just don't have the room anymore since they are quite large, plus I'm
getting older and my hearing isn't as good to appreciate these as
opposed to a satillite system with a subwoofer. They've probably been
fired up once or twice a year for the last 10 years so my use is
limited. Other than a little dust they pretty much look as good as when
I bought them in the 70's. I really don't want to ship them as they are
just too big for that. But your right about being power pigs! 4 ohms
and hooked up to my black racked Yamaha natural sound sytem, they have
served me well over the years.

Thanks you very much for your insight,

Randy

Kappa 8's..What are they worth? MGALUVR Marketplace 3 October 23rd 04 02:08 PM
how could I get an idea of what these items are worth? Bill Marketplace 1 October 15th 04 05:00 PM
How Much Are Old Direct To Disk Recordings Worth? DP7084106 Marketplace 1 August 27th 04 05:43 AM
What's it worth? WX Guy Marketplace 4 April 24th 04 03:04 PM
What's it worth? WX Guy Marketplace 0 April 23rd 04 11:32 AM