Michael Mossey

Default Arny's PCABX site

I played arond with PCABX. The training room was unavailable so I
proceeded to the easiest sample I could find, which was the Bryston
2BLP amplifier, reference versus 5-time pass through.

I played the "trumpet" clips. The sound was harsh, unlife-like, and
non-musical. None of the features in a signal that I normally use to
evaluate equipment were present... there was no beauty, there was no
beauty in the decay. There was no musical shape, no way to sense
dynamics, no ebb and flow, no meter, nothing to make the toe tap.

It was very hard to hear any difference in A and B but I thought A was
a tad brighter. I did 13 trials, really didn't feel sure I knew at all
what was going on. I did not have the clips repeat; I manually hit
stop before each clip was done. When the clips repeated the effect was
harsh and unmusical.

I basically listened to the clips once and paused a few seconds, then
listened to the next. The "instant-switch" feature was not instantly
switching; there was a long pause which interrupted the flow, and the
next clip came on abrubtly. My impression after switching like that
was always that the abrubt switch disturbed my ability to hear anything
significant. So I didn't do it that way.

I scored 10/13 or 7.5% probability of guessing. So I must have been
hearing something, although I was never sure what I was doing.

If this is representative of the industry's general science, no wonder
its conclusions seem to have little to do with sound quality in normal
listening. Even after I thought I could tell the difference between
those clips, I had absolutely no way to refer that to a normal
listening experience.

The objectivists sometimes say that we should use blind tests to tell
if there is a difference, then sighted tests to pick a preference. If
you do that, you definitely won't be picking your preference on the
basis of sound alone. What you heard in the blind test may not relate
in any way to what you hear in normal listening, or even be audible in
normal listening. It's kind of ironic that somebody would say you need
to know what something sounds like on the basis of sound alone, but
then decide what component to buy based on its looks.

-Mike

abrubt switch
Steven Sullivan

In article you wrote:
[...]

PCABX is one software ABX implementaion; there are others. See the list
at
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...16&mode=linear

Software abx is most commonly used for codec development, where it has
proven extremely useful. Explore hydrogenaudio.org for more details.
You can fairly easily set up your own tests using more 'musical' or
'natural' test material, if you like.

Btw, 10/13 translates to just a hair less than the p=0.05 value preferred
by most scientists; in fact if we round to two places it *is* 0.05.
Sixteen or more trials would give somewhat more robust statistics.

The objectivists sometimes say that we should use blind tests to tell
if there is a difference, then sighted tests to pick a preference. If
you do that, you definitely won't be picking your preference on the
basis of sound alone.

And any knowledgable objectivists knows that.
If you want to be sure you've established preferences on sound alone,
that's got to be a dbt too. That's how they do it with speakers at
Harman/JBL for example.

What you heard in the blind test may not relate
in any way to what you hear in normal listening, or even be audible in
normal listening. It's kind of ironic that somebody would say you need
to know what something sounds like on the basis of sound alone, but
then decide what component to buy based on its looks.

Not at all! If they are of the opinion that certain things are likely to
sound alike -- based on 'sound alone' tests like DBT as well as on
physical and engineering principles -- the it's *entirely* rational to
decide what to buy based on *looks*, price, etc.

And if ABX didn't relate to normal listening, then it would never reliably
'work'. THere would be no correlation between, say, magnitude of
difference and ability to discern it in ABX -- at any level. Yet there
is. "Training" for comparaitive listening involves identifying levels of
difference that pass an ABX, then decreasing the difference. Eventually a
threshold level is reached where the detection rate is no better than
chance. We don't see detection rate *increasing* as level difference goes
down, for example. If blind testing was so grossly inappropriate and
unreliable a way to test for audible difference, we would.

Whereas with sighted tests, we can of course rather easily influence the
listener to score 'differences' where *none* exist..or even to have them
report differences getting *larger* when they are in fact decreasing.
And we can rather easily reverse the bias of the responses too. The
by letting the listener 'know' what they are listening to by some means
*other than* just listening.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying

Stewart Pinkerton

On 7 Apr 2005 01:09:48 GMT, "Michael Mossey"
wrote:

The objectivists sometimes say that we should use blind tests to tell
if there is a difference, then sighted tests to pick a preference. If
you do that, you definitely won't be picking your preference on the
basis of sound alone.

No one ever suggested that a *buying* decision should be made *only*
on the basis of sound quality.

What you heard in the blind test may not relate
in any way to what you hear in normal listening, or even be audible in
normal listening. It's kind of ironic that somebody would say you need
to know what something sounds like on the basis of sound alone, but
then decide what component to buy based on its looks.

Nothing ironic about it. I'd love an Oracle CD player, but I seriously
doubt that it sounds any different than my Pioneer DV-575A. Now, if
blind testing had shown that it *did* sound different, and that in
fact it sounded *worse* (common enough in 'high end' gear), that would
be a different matter.

Michael Mossey

Steven Sullivan wrote:

In article you wrote:

[...]

Alright, I will concede you can buy based on anything you like.

And if ABX didn't relate to normal listening, then it would never

reliably
'work'. THere would be no correlation between, say, magnitude of
difference and ability to discern it in ABX -- at any level. Yet

there
is. "Training" for comparaitive listening involves identifying

levels of
difference that pass an ABX, then decreasing the difference.

Eventually a
threshold level is reached where the detection rate is no better than

chance. We don't see detection rate *increasing* as level difference

goes
down, for example. If blind testing was so grossly inappropriate and

unreliable a way to test for audible difference, we would.

I'm glad you are making an argument here and not just bashing my
original point. I don't quite follow you, however. It seems to me
that you are saying ABX provides data that is consistent with a model
of the ear, i.e. "greater signal in" provides "greater signal out."
However, anything I've suggested about normal listening is consistent
with that model.

Whereas with sighted tests, we can of course rather easily influence

the
listener to score 'differences' where *none* exist..or even to have

them
report differences getting *larger* when they are in fact decreasing.
And we can rather easily reverse the bias of the responses too. The

this
by letting the listener 'know' what they are listening to by some

means
*other than* just listening.

I don't put much faith in sighted listening nor have I ever.

-Mike
Ralph Heidecke

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

In article you wrote:
Btw, 10/13 translates to just a hair less than the p=0.05 value preferred
by most scientists;

this isn't quite the case 0.05 level of significance is not so much
preferred as a long established rule of thumb.

Recalling that the phrase "rule of thumb" describes Solomon's maximum
allowed diameter for the stick a husband could use to beat his wife the rule
of thumb may not make sense in a contemporary situation. In situations where
a "miss" may have high consequences the tolerance may be much tighter. Where
we are talking about relatively low risk like guiding a consumer purchase it
may be much lower. personally if the audio component wasn't overly expensive
I'd be thrilled to buy something where it met a .75 tolerance level.

BTW thanks for your interesting comments on the psychology of hearing.
There's nothing more refreshing than an open mind.

Steven Sullivan

Michael Mossey wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
levels of
difference that pass an ABX, then decreasing the difference.

Eventually a
threshold level is reached where the detection rate is no better than

chance. We don't see detection rate *increasing* as level difference

goes
down, for example. If blind testing was so grossly inappropriate and

unreliable a way to test for audible difference, we would.

I'm glad you are making an argument here and not just bashing my
original point. I don't quite follow you, however. It seems to me
that you are saying ABX provides data that is consistent with a model
of the ear, i.e. "greater signal in" provides "greater signal out."
However, anything I've suggested about normal listening is consistent
with that model.

Normal listening is consistent when differences of objectively 'gross' --
e.g., when two different songs are played.
But there comes a point for every listener where differences enter the
range where psychological noise competes with signal. At this point
'sighted' reports of difference start to become no more reliable than guessing.
To filter out the noise, we have to thwart the psychological sources of
the noise. THis is called double blind testing. You might have heard of
it.

Whereas with sighted tests, we can of course rather easily influence

the
listener to score 'differences' where *none* exist..or even to have

them
report differences getting *larger* when they are in fact decreasing.
And we can rather easily reverse the bias of the responses too. The

this
by letting the listener 'know' what they are listening to by some

means
*other than* just listening.

I don't put much faith in sighted listening nor have I ever.

Your skeptciism of blind testing is unsupported by anything *except*
sighted results.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
before the House Armed Services Committee
Michael Mossey

Steven Sullivan wrote:
Michael Mossey wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
[...]

Hang on-- double blind testing doesn't remove psychological noise. I
don't think that's the right way to say it. I think what you mean is
that it removes the *bias* from sighted results. In double-blind
tests, people still sometimes end up guessing randomly. The noise is
still there.

In fact, during my recent blind tests I observed that expectation can
form during blind testing. Expectation is a kind of psychological
noise.

In fact, I hypothesize that a double-blind test which reduces internal
"expecting" during the test would lead to a more accurate result.

Sighted reports are probably much *more* reliable than guessing. They
reliably tell you which component looks more impressive.

Whereas with sighted tests, we can of course rather easily

influence
the
listener to score 'differences' where *none* exist..or even to

have
them
report differences getting *larger* when they are in fact

decreasing.
And we can rather easily reverse the bias of the responses too.

The

do
this
by letting the listener 'know' what they are listening to by some

means
*other than* just listening.

I don't put much faith in sighted listening nor have I ever.

Your skeptciism of blind testing is unsupported by anything *except*
sighted results.

My skepticism is not about *blind* testing--it is about specific
techniques. The skepticism *originates* in intuition and introspection
about the experience of listening to something blind. Last I checked,
intuition was a fine place for skepticism to *originate*. Testing
comes next. If I win the lottery or something, I'll do all the
necessary tests.

-Mike
Steven Sullivan

Michael Mossey wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
Michael Mossey wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
[...]

Bias is a form of psychological noise.

If subjects are 'consciously' guessing randomly, then they should stop the test
right there. They are no longer hearing a difference, so what's there
to test?

In fact, during my recent blind tests I observed that expectation can
form during blind testing. Expectation is a kind of psychological
noise.
In fact, I hypothesize that a double-blind test which reduces internal
"expecting" during the test would lead to a more accurate result.

You can do that by randomizing the trials, and by not presenting
results until the end of the test.

Sighted reports are probably much *more* reliable than guessing. They
reliably tell you which component looks more impressive.

Sighted reports tend to be internally consistent, but for substantiation
of real difference, they tend to stink.

[...]

I'm skeptical of your intuition.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
before the House Armed Services Committee
Ed Seedhouse

On 10 Apr 2005 18:16:33 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Michael Mossey wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:

Bias is a form of psychological noise.

If subjects are 'consciously' guessing randomly, then they should stop the test
right there. They are no longer hearing a difference, so what's there
to test?

Well, it's always possible that they are deluding themselves into
believing they hear no difference and are merely guessing when in fact
they actually are hearing a difference and are not really guessing.
After all, people like me who believe that wires all sound the same
might still actually be hearing a difference but allowing our biases to
convince us that we weren't. I see no harm in continuing the test on
the admittedly slight possibility that this is the case.

We do have instances where people who were brain damaged so that they
could not consciously see one half of their visual field were
nevertheless highly accurate when asked to simply guess what the object
in question might be. They thought they were guessing, but the evidence
showed that they weren't.

Ed Seedhouse,
Victoria, B.C.