Posted to rec.audio.pro
yrret yrret is offline

Default Can anyone ID this mic?

It looks like something that would come with the computer. Giving the
computer maker would probably lead to the answer.

"muzician21" wrote in message
Not a "studio mic" but it sounds surprisingly good. Better than the
typical cheapie computer electret mic I'm used to hearing.

Thanks.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...ystery_mic.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Frank is offline

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 03:19:36 -0500, in 'rec.audio.pro',
in article Can anyone ID this mic?,
"yrret" wrote:

It looks like something that would come with the computer. Giving the
computer maker would probably lead to the answer.

"muzician21" wrote in message
Not a "studio mic" but it sounds surprisingly good. Better than the
typical cheapie computer electret mic I'm used to hearing.

Thanks.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...ystery_mic.jpg

I own two computer mics that look exactly like the one pictured, but
as I no longer use them, they're in storage upstate right now and I
can't confirm the make or model, but I believe that they were made by
Altec-Lansing.

They may have been included with a (very good sounding) three-piece
set of Altec-Lansing computer speakers (left, right, and sub) that I
purchased perhaps 15 years ago, but which I discarded about 1-1/2
years ago, or they may have been a separate purchase; I can't recall.

As I remember, they were surprisingly good microphones. I used them
quite effectively with Microsoft's NetMeeting video conferencing
software for a few years.

I believe that Logitech and/or Radio Shack used to sell a computer
microphone with a somewhat similar physical design, but if I had to
bet, I would guess that the mic pictured is the Altec-Lansing.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]
Posted to rec.audio.pro
yrret yrret is offline

Would the quality of these electrets be improved if the computer delievered
it with power closer to phantom level?

"yrret" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Frank is offline

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 23:27:43 -0500, in 'rec.audio.pro',
"yrret" wrote:

Would the quality of these electrets be improved if the computer delievered
it with power closer to phantom level?

48 volts? My guess is that that would destroy the mic (or mike, if you
prefer, as I know that some here do).

Regards,

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV at http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/
[also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX].
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , yrret wrote:
Would the quality of these electrets be improved if the computer delievered
it with power closer to phantom level?

No. And they would be damaged.