Posted to rec.audio.pro
MTM

Default FS: Neumann LV60 Tube Amps...

Hello............NG
Anyone know anything about these.?
Neumann LV 60 Tube Power Amps....?
Any Idea what they are worth...?
Pix available...
Please let me know...

--
Thanks........Mike..........
814-450-7979-c

FS: Neumann LV60 Tube Amps...Pair?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

In article Se59g.166$a23.102@trndny01, MTM wrote:
Hello............NG
Anyone know anything about these.?
Neumann LV 60 Tube Power Amps....?
Any Idea what they are worth...?
Pix available...
Please let me know...

No idea what they are worth, but there should be some info on the Neumann
web site on them. Oliver Archut, who recently gave a really great talk
at the AES show last year, said he had written some stuff there.

They are basically intended as cutting head amplifiers, but they have
some additional windings on the transformer so they can drive speakers
as well.

As I recall, they don't have much low end at all and they get kind of
grainy at low levels. EL 156 output tubes. I don't recall what the
cutter feedback arrangement is, but I think you need external feedback
compensation and RIAA network modules to use these for cutting.

I think if I were looking for a tube cutting signal path, I'd look at
the RCA amps that use 7027 output tubes and have integral feedback control
before I'd look at the LV 60 units.

Then again, back when these were popular, a lot of folks were using
McIntosh 275 amplifiers to drive cutting heads. With a 600 ohm head
on the output, you'd think they'd ring a lot, but apparently the feedback
helped.

I don't know if the Neumanns have been "discovered" by the audiophile
crowd. They have nice output transformers and you could use them to
drive speakers, but I'd think you'd want to replace the output tubes
with something a bit more readily available. You might also want to
fiddle around with the bias and see if you can get the low level linearity
improved a little.