curtis mathewson

Default A/D interface compatible with pro tools

(OWENS) wrote in message . com...
I'm relatively new to computer based recording. I currently have a 24
track ADAT studio, and what I would like to do is get a device(s) with
at least 16 channels of A/D I/O so that I can use my analog mixer and
preamps that I already have to record to pro-tools...and be able to
send the tracks back to the ADAT's so I can have a permanent storage
medium for the multitrack masters.

I do a lot of live recording, so I would need something that can
handle 16 tracks of streaming real time audio, and I need to keep cost
under $2000 (preferably well under $2000). Can anyone recommend a no
frills, yet quality basic A/D interface that would suit my purposes
and is compatible with pro-tools?

Hello.Let me first say that Im not new to computer recording but Im
not a protools expert either.I'll try to help as best as I
can.......This not a rant by the way.
You can buy a basic a to d interface but you must have protools
hardware to run protools software unless you are importing audio files
from another daw platform or recorder such as a tascam mx- 2424.Even
then,you still need a protools capatable interface such as an 888 or
001/002 to lauch pt.Protools automaticly looks for its hardware and
will not launch with out it. If you are just looking for something
that will record audiofiles that will later be transfered to pt then
you have other options besides the following.
Protools is an Island onto itself and is not hardware cross capatible
and the most expensive of all the daw platforms when it comes to the
signal flow layout you seek.Digidesign(the acountants behind
protools)make their hardware only for their software only and keep
everyone elses hardware out or not capatable for the most part(except
apogee for a while).If you wish to dive into protools at that 2k price
point and have 16 discreet ins and outs, your choices are thin at
best.You will need a little more money.Im assuming you have a kick ass
computer....#1.Buy an older mix or mix plus core card for an older g4
mac running 9.2..Then add 2 adat light pipe interfaces(I forgot the
model name)that connect to that core.Then you will need 16 channels of
a to d conversion(remember you will be stuck at 16/24 bit....44.1/48.k
as you sampling rate.You could later max this out I belive to 32 total
ins/outs of litepipe or ad two more 888 interfaces.If you are limited
in money for the converters you can use a couple of adats as your
front end at 16 bit and the ones you already have you will playback
through.Last but not least you will need to word clock these to one
source.CAN YOU SAY PAIN IN THE BUTT?At least you're up and
running.....ohh...(dont forget how a company like digi loves to
support older systems if you have a problem)

#2Buy the Digi 002.Add the new 8 ch apogee rosetta outbord
converter(not sure on price) or buy a new or used set of swissonic 8
ch.ad/da converters.Half digital/half analog will be the resulting
signal flow as there is only one adat light pipe on the 002 along with
8 bal trs 1/4 inch ins and outs on the other sidebut at least you will
have 16 separate channels.Not perfect but it would get the job
done.The outboard a to d /d to a converters alone can be a buget
killer so shop around.

#3..If you are in a time capsule and like recycling old computers you
can for pennys on the dollar look for an old mac quadra 950 and piece
together a nubuss protools system with a maxed out I/O of 16 channels
and no lightpipe I believe.I think Peter Gabrial still has his at real
world collecting dust.It worked for parts of his" last temptation of
christ soundtrack" in 1989-91

#4Ask yourself if you really need protools.There are other
platforms.An alesis 24 track hd recorder is about 2k or less and has
enough basic editing to do everything.In addition to 24 inputs and
outputs of analog I/O, it also has 24 ch of lightpipe you can send to
your stack of adats for back up if you wish.If you are doing
microscope editing or want the plug-ins a daw provides then this is
probably not the best route to take.

#5 If it has to be protools and only protools.Just hang out as the
migration from 888 to protools hd makes buying an older 888 system
more affordable.

Best of luck
curtis