prit

Default CD recorder with Behringer mixer

Hi Everyone
I wanted to know the recommendations for a good CD recorder with a hard
drive. This is for a local church with a lecture style format in a 70
seater hall. We have Shure mikes and a behringer mixer. We are now
shopping for a CD recorder. The reason for the hard drive is that the
CDs on occasion have turned out to be bad. If we had a hard drive to
record on then we could eliminate the chance of missing the lecture
even if the CD is bad. If not we have a additional backup. For the next
lecture we could erase it and begin again.
We had short listed the TASCAM CDR-750. But the salesman had told us it
came with a Hard drive. When we went to pick it up, it turned out it
wasn't the case. So we are now in a delima to buy it or not. Could
someone please help me out with this?
Thanks in anticipation,
Prit
Harry Lavo

"prit" wrote in message
Hi Everyone
I wanted to know the recommendations for a good CD recorder with a hard
drive. This is for a local church with a lecture style format in a 70
seater hall. We have Shure mikes and a behringer mixer. We are now
shopping for a CD recorder. The reason for the hard drive is that the
CDs on occasion have turned out to be bad. If we had a hard drive to
record on then we could eliminate the chance of missing the lecture
even if the CD is bad. If not we have a additional backup. For the next
lecture we could erase it and begin again.
We had short listed the TASCAM CDR-750. But the salesman had told us it
came with a Hard drive. When we went to pick it up, it turned out it
wasn't the case. So we are now in a delima to buy it or not. Could
someone please help me out with this?
Thanks in anticipation,

Stop right now and find another dealer. Reason - the Tascam 750 is *not* a
hard disk recorder and any pro audio dealer who handles the line knows
that...your dealer obviously does not. The Tascam 750 is simply a
pro-quality hard disk recorder. My suggestion -- find a good high volume,
pro audio dealer online such as Swee****er (www.swee****er.com) and talk to
them about your needs. They handle all kinds of pro audio equipment, and
understand church requirements very well.

The only stereo hard disk recorder in widespread availability is the Alessis
Masterlink...which includes a 40gig hard drive as well as a cd burner.
Teac's only hard drive machine is a 24 track, $4000 recorder.

An alternative, if you have a computer savvy volunteer support staff, would
be to buy/build a small but powerful computer with both hard disk and dvd/cd
burner. You would probably get Nero or Roxio software along with the CD
burner, and once installed and set up by the more experienced computer
person, starting a recording would be as simple as staarting up the
computer, starting a program, and doing a simple mouse click. One advantage
to this would be you could install an external "storage" hard drive and
archive all the lectures for some period of time onto one drive.
Swee****er has several custom computers designed specifically for music
recording, as well as handling many, many linnes of pro-audio gear, so you
couldn't go wrong with them (btw, I have *no* affiliation with them).

Either the Alessis or the computer should run in the neighborhood of $800.

Hope this helps.

Russ Button

I've just started using a Xitel Inport A to D converter with a laptop PC.
You could use it with a desktop PC as well if you like. The laptop is
much more portable, but if this is a stationary church setup, then a
desktop box might be a better choice.

Since noise is an issue, you might want to consider one of the Mini-itx
machines that run at 800 Mhz. While this may seem rather slow, they
run without a CPU fan! Point your web browser at:

http://www.softwarey.com/scripts/pro...idproduct=1172

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_i...products_id/51

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/solutions/fanless.asp

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/silence.html

With a real PC, you can not only record to hard drive and then burn to
CD-R, you can also edit the sound file and add effects. It'll cost you less
than buying a special purpose gizmo that'll likely be obsolete in a couple
of years.

Russ