Rob

Default Satellite radio in Alaska

Hello,

I know XM and Sirius satellite radio is not for sale in Alaska. But I
wonder if I buy my equipment in the lower 48 (and register for a
subscription with a lower 48 address), will I be able to receive
satellite radio here in Alaska? I guess I would like to know if these
satellites are covering Alaska anyhow? Any stories of people who tried
this?

All your help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Rob
thelizman

Rob wrote:
Hello,

I know XM and Sirius satellite radio is not for sale in Alaska. But I
wonder if I buy my equipment in the lower 48 (and register for a
subscription with a lower 48 address), will I be able to receive
satellite radio here in Alaska? I guess I would like to know if these
satellites are covering Alaska anyhow? Any stories of people who tried
this?

Depends. In lower parts of Alaska, you may pick up a signal, but not
likely, and you won't realize the benefits. The problem is not that
satellite radio companies don't want to sell to alaska. The problem is
that the satellites are positioned over the continental US in
geosynchronous orbit. This is the same reason you used to not be able to
get satellite TV (DSS/USSB/Dish Network/Sky Angel/etc) up yonder.

Don't fret, however. More cost effective digital radio solutions are
being deployed that deliver XM/Sirius style programming from
conventional towers.

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
Rob

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. That's too bad, guess I need to wait...

Rob