Paul in Redland

Default Converting file types - Slightly OT

Please bare with me here, I'm quite new to this.
I'm need a program (I think) that will convert audio files downloaded from
Audible.com ( .aa files ) into .mp3 files.
I also need to be able to break the resulting file which, would likely be
about 600 mb, into many, many small sequential files.
My need is so that I can listen to the books I buy from Audible on the mp3
capable player in my truck. Some of the books run 20 to 30 hours long ( read
~25 cds ). I want to reduce the number of cds I need from dozens per book to
a couple ( the reason for going to mp3's ) and be able to return to where I
stopped listening when I reinsert the cd ( the reason for making the large
mp3 into many smaller files ).
Can you suggest suitable software to do this? Or is there a better way to
achieve my desired results?
TIA

Paul

Elvis

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message ...
[...]

You should try Goldwave at Goldwave.com, it will load an Audible file
as long as you have the Audible software installed. You can then use
the Cue points feature to break the one file into many and save them
to mp3. I did it once for the same reason you want to do it and it
worked but it is time consuming. Remember to use low sample rates
since it is mostly voice, that way you can keep your files as small as
possible. Good Luck.

Mucho...

Elvis

"Paul in Redland" wrote in message ...

I think that would take hardware modifications so I don't see that
happening anytime soon. I have an AUX in jack in my car stereo so I
could actually hookup my Audible Otis to the stereo with a cable from
Radio Shack. I think It should also work if you have one of those
cassete tape adapters if you have a tape player in your stereo. Other
than that your SOL.

Mucho...

Is there a way to get a cd/mp3 player to play the .aa files directly. That
would really be sweet

Paul

om...

AUDIO FILE EDIT: HELP PLS! DL General 2 February 22nd 04 12:05 AM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 General 122 January 27th 04 01:58 AM
cue file Desert Fox General 0 November 18th 03 03:45 PM
unknown audio file format M.Laymon General 1 October 31st 03 04:25 PM
cd music file burning technique question Jimbo General 0 September 2nd 03 08:08 AM