John L Rice

Default Help with XLR leads needed

"Karl" wrote in message
I am looking for help in making a microphone extension. I have two good
quality 5-pin XLR cable connectors. I need help & advice about the best
cable to buy and a wiring diagram for how to solder the cable to the
connectors. I would really appreciate any help with this.
Karl

Hi Karl,

I'm curious as to why you are using 5 pin XLR's instead of the standard 3
pin ones. I know 5 pin ones exist, I've just never had the need to use one.
Are you sure that's what you have or really need? And you do have one male
and one female, right?

In no particular order I'd say Belden, Mogami, Canare and Gepco all make
great quality raw audio cable. Do a www.google.com search on any of those
to find out more.

Check out this article on ProCo's site to get you started.
http://www.procosound.com/downloads/guides/htc_mic.pdf

Best of luck!

John L Rice

James Boyk

David Nobel wrote: ...Because it is OFC (oxygen free copper), you can use 24 AWG instead of 12.

Please say more about this! Why would one think of 12-ga. for mike cable? Why would using OFC allow using a far smaller gauge?

James Boyk
http://www.performancerecordings.com

John L Rice

"James Boyk" wrote in message
David Nobel wrote: ...Because it is OFC (oxygen free copper), you can use

24 AWG instead of 12.

Please say more about this! Why would one think of 12-ga. for mike cable?

Why would using OFC allow using a far smaller gauge?

James Boyk
http://www.performancerecordings.com

uuuuhhhhmmmmm . . . .maybe it's because all of that nasty air takes up
space. If you made an oxygen free Three Musketeers candy bar it would be
like . . the size of a pack of Rollos or something . . . .

Time for bed . . .

John L Rice

Graham Hinton

"Karl" wrote in message

I am looking for help in making a microphone extension. I have two good
quality 5-pin XLR cable connectors. I need help & advice about the best
cable to buy and a wiring diagram for how to solder the cable to the
connectors. I would really appreciate any help with this.

Karl, as you are in the UK the cable you are asking for would be Van Damme
Blue 2 core available from VDC Trading cut to length.
This is assuming that you have some sort of stereo microphone on 5 pin
XLRs. If you do pin 1 should be connected to the cable screens and the
others are not standardised so check the pinout of the cable you wish to
extend.

If you do have a 5 pin stereo output it may be more useful to make an
adapter to two standard 3 pin XLRMs and then use normal microphone cables.

Graham Hinton

In article ,
"Preben Friis" wrote:

It's my understanding that all copper used for cables are oxygen free
copper.

Yes. Try asking for 0.01% oxygen content and see how far you get...

I tried it on some SSL installation engineers noticing that all the cables
had "Solid State Logic Oxygen Free Copper" printed on them (at extra
expense and as if that was different from anybody elses'). I explained that
this was not specified because the studio owner had been using rusty
equipment since the sixties and would not get his vocal sound if it were
oxygen free. They did not realise that I was taking the ****. This is an
occupation hazard when you start believing your own marketing.

Scott Dorsey

Preben Friis wrote:
"David Nobel" wrote in message
. com...

Because it is OFC (oxygen free copper), you can use 24
AWG instead of 12. I am using their Flex 2001 for three-wire XLR mic
cables and patch cords.

It's my understanding that all copper used for cables are oxygen free
copper.

Not all of it, but most of it these days. It's easier to work with and
gives you better flexibility. Certainly in all of the reasonably well
made mike cables it's the case.
Richard Crowley

"Karl" wrote ...
I am looking for help in making a microphone extension.
I have two good quality 5-pin XLR cable connectors. I need
help & advice about the best cable to buy and a wiring
diagram for how to solder the cable to the connectors.
I would really appreciate any help with this.

Interesting thread about cable types.

But I haven't seen anyone pick up on the fact that
Karl said he is using FIVE-pin XLR connectors.

Either he has the wrong connectors, or he is looking
for TWO-PAIR cable? I asked for this clarification in
rec.audio.tech, but Karl has not responded.

Preben Friis

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
Interesting thread about cable types.

But I haven't seen anyone pick up on the fact that
Karl said he is using FIVE-pin XLR connectors.

You miss the posts by John L Rice and Graham Hinton?

/Preben Friis

Richard Crowley

"Preben Friis" wrote...
You miss the posts by John L Rice and Graham Hinton?

My news server hasn't offered them up to me yet
Usenet isn't an exact science. :-)

Richard Kuschel

I am looking for help in making a microphone extension. I have two good
quality 5-pin XLR cable connectors. I need help & advice about the best
cable to buy and a wiring diagram for how to solder the cable to the
connectors. I would really appreciate any help with this.
Karl

Switchcraft A5M and A5F will do nicely and are not expensive.

I have them in stock.

For cable, I use Horizon or Rapco Flex Quad which has color coded wires.

It is very flexible and only 0.25 inch diameter.

soft, compliant and well made.
Richard H. Kuschel
Twist Turner

It seems to me my AKG C61 has a 5 pin connnector, maybe he's trying to
make a cable for a tube mic, my other tube mic's have at least 5 pins as
well.

http://www.vintagemicsales.com

James Boyk

James Boyk wrote:
Please say more about this! Why would one think of 12-ga. for mike
cable? Why would using OFC allow using a far smaller gauge?

I'm still hoping for answers to these questions.

James Boyk
http://www.performancerecordings.com

Good 6.5 mid-bass needed Eric Desrochers Car Audio 0 March 14th 04 02:41 AM
Auto Leads Question Stevie R Car Audio 3 September 11th 03 04:11 AM
Info needed on Beveridge-type "Acoustical Lens" for ESLs Bernard H. Merems High End Audio 0 August 16th 03 10:29 PM
Advice needed: Drawmer 1960 in need of repair and upgrade jzb Pro Audio 3 July 28th 03 12:13 PM
Simple Crossover Network - Advice Needed Kalman Rubinson High End Audio 4 July 16th 03 03:07 AM