Rasmus Schwenger

Default Passive mult - sound quality issues?

Hello all - question for you.

In my studio I use both an analog board and a digital board for different
projects (Digi=post, analog=music). To eliminate patching all the time I
would love to have my U-87 going into both boards at the same time: thru my
Fairman TRC pre-amp to the analog board, and to the built-in mic pres on the
digital (DM-24).
If I patch the mic to a passive mult in my patchbay and from there go to
both the preamp and digital board (getting 48V from either source) will that
cause a signal degradation?

I know patching is easy and that's why we have patchbays in the first place,
but I have engineers working on different projects, and they are not all up
to speed on the patchbay.

Thanks

Rasmus Schwenger

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

In my studio I use both an analog board and a digital board for different
projects (Digi=post, analog=music). To eliminate patching all the time I
would love to have my U-87 going into both boards at the same time: thru my
Fairman TRC pre-amp to the analog board, and to the built-in mic pres on the
digital (DM-24).

It's not a problem to put a couple of loads on a line level output,
but loading your mic with both the Fairman and console preamp will
almost certainly change the sound of the mic. Why not leave the mic
connected permanently to the outboard preamp then send its output to
line inputs on the analog and digital consoles? Unless the DM-24 has
some amazing kind of preamp that the U87 loves, you'll probably like
the sound better that way anyway.

I know patching is easy and that's why we have patchbays in the first place,
but I have engineers working on different projects, and they are not all up
to speed on the patchbay.

Well, then get them up to speed or show them the door. This is so
basic that anyone who calls himself an engineer (or someone else calls
him that) should be able to figure it out. But I don't recommend
patching mic level signals anyway, unless you really have to do it.
Lazines and ignorance should not be accepted as excuses.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
WillStG

(Mike Rivers)

It's not a problem to put a couple of loads on a line level output,
but loading your mic with both the Fairman and console preamp will
almost certainly change the sound of the mic

Not to mention when one mic is multed mic level to two consoles turning
phantom power on on both mixers could cause a problem.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Steely Dan The Absolute Sound Steven Sullivan High End Audio 585 August 26th 04 02:17 AM
audio coax cable JYC High End Audio 239 January 18th 04 09:12 PM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM
Speaker Wire & Sound Quality Question Nousaine High End Audio 3 September 16th 03 03:43 PM
Speaker Wire & Sound Quality Question CajunUSA High End Audio 2 September 1st 03 06:51 AM