Kalle L.

Default Sennheiser MD421HL - problems

Hi people!

Once again, I need some advice from those more experienced with mics...

I bought these two old used Sennheiser MD421's. The previous owner says that
they are perhaps 25 years old. They are colored the same (grey/beige) but
otherwise are not alike. At least The Sennheiser logo in them is different.
I think they are both HL's although only one of them has it written on it.

Aaaanyway, the reason I'm writing is that the other (the one with the
writing) does not work properly. The sound in it is honky and doesn't seem
to have almost any bass. I believe it has something to do with the fact that
the 5-way S-M switch does not work properly: the switch turns 360 degrees
and doesn't click.

After some serious googling and searching through the postings in R.A.P. it
seems that the reason for the honky sound could be either

1. when the switch was broken, it got stuck to the "S" position (with the
high pass filter on). ...OR
2. There's something wrong with the wiring of the Tufnel - XLR
adapter...The mic does have the Tufnel connector, and to connect it to a
female XLR, I got a XLR adapter that apparently the previous owner had been
using too. So I would imagine that it would work.

Do any of you have any similar experiences with a broken switch in your
MD421? More importantly: do you have any suggestions how to fix it? I.e. is
there a way to change the position of the switch although it is broken? I
don't see any screws etc, that I could unscrew to get inside the mic...

I have took some photos of the mic in question, they might help with getting
the idea of the MD421 model that I'm talking about.
http://www.nic.fi/~luckyman/images/md421HL_1.jpg - overall image of the mic
http://www.nic.fi/~luckyman/images/md421HL_2.jpg - the logo in the mic
http://www.nic.fi/~luckyman/images/md421HL_3.jpg - the connector along with
the 10" Tufnel - XLR adapter that I got with the mic
http://www.nic.fi/~luckyman/images/md421HL_4.jpg - the plate/sticker that
tells the model of the mic

If you have any comments & suggestions, please let me know! Thanks!

Best regards,
Kalle

Ps.The other mic works great, and gives a very nice, smooth sound with
plenty of bass. It has a XLR connector, and its M-S seems to be fixed (with
glue) so that switching is not possible. That's why I cannot compare how the
mic would sound in a "S" position...

Preben Friis

"Kalle L." wrote in message
Hi people!

1. when the switch was broken, it got stuck to the "S" position (with the
high pass filter on). ...OR

That would explain the missing bass .. but not the "honyness"

2. There's something wrong with the wiring of the Tufnel - XLR
adapter...The mic does have the Tufnel connector, and to connect it to a
female XLR, I got a XLR adapter that apparently the previous owner had

been
using too. So I would imagine that it would work.

How is it wired?

Do any of you have any similar experiences with a broken switch in your
MD421? More importantly: do you have any suggestions how to fix it? I.e.

is
there a way to change the position of the switch although it is broken? I
don't see any screws etc, that I could unscrew to get inside the mic...

Remove the number-plate, remove the screw under it.

There should be a very small metal ball under the switch, that controls the
movement of the switch.

/Preben Friis

Preben Friis

"Kalle L." wrote in message
2. There's something wrong with the wiring of the Tufnel - XLR
adapter...The mic does have the Tufnel connector, and to connect it to a
female XLR, I got a XLR adapter that apparently the previous owner had

been
using too. So I would imagine that it would work.

The wiring for MD421-HL is in figure B of this picture.

http://hiq.homepage.dk/studio/421.jpg

/Preben Friis

Scott Dorsey

Kalle L. wrote:
Aaaanyway, the reason I'm writing is that the other (the one with the
writing) does not work properly. The sound in it is honky and doesn't seem
to have almost any bass.

Two things go wrong with these: the elements go bad, and the bass cut
assembly goes bad.

I believe it has something to do with the fact that
the 5-way S-M switch does not work properly: the switch turns 360 degrees
and doesn't click.

I think those old models didn't have 5-way switches. I want to say they
had only two positions.

After some serious googling and searching through the postings in R.A.P. it
seems that the reason for the honky sound could be either

1. when the switch was broken, it got stuck to the "S" position (with the
high pass filter on). ...OR
2. There's something wrong with the wiring of the Tufnel - XLR
adapter...The mic does have the Tufnel connector, and to connect it to a
female XLR, I got a XLR adapter that apparently the previous owner had been
using too. So I would imagine that it would work.

So, you got an ohmmeter? Tell me how your cable is wired.

Do any of you have any similar experiences with a broken switch in your
MD421? More importantly: do you have any suggestions how to fix it? I.e. is
there a way to change the position of the switch although it is broken? I
don't see any screws etc, that I could unscrew to get inside the mic...

The plate comes off the side, and the screw under the plate comes out.
This allows you to pull out the switch assembly from the rear. THEN you
get a long 7mm nutdriver and insert it into the hole you made in the rear,
and unbolt the front half of the mike.

I suspect you have damaged elements, but the Sennheiser guys still have
parts for all this stuff.

Ps.The other mic works great, and gives a very nice, smooth sound with
plenty of bass. It has a XLR connector, and its M-S seems to be fixed (with
glue) so that switching is not possible. That's why I cannot compare how the
mic would sound in a "S" position...

Some of those models had no bass cut at all.

Preben Friis

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Kalle L. wrote:
I think those old models didn't have 5-way switches. I want to say they
had only two positions.

No clicks ... but still continiously variable between M and S.

Some of those models had no bass cut at all.

I've got one of those; the MD521 .. - were there ever 421's without a
switch as well?

/Preben Friis

Patric D'Eimon

with unquestioned accuracy of thought, Kalle L. replied:

[...]

My 421 came from 1978. It also did the same thing you described. I wanted
Sennheiser to fix it but they would only swap it out for 300bucks or so.

So I took the ass end of the mic apart and found a disconnected wire. I
managed to mess up the switch in the process so now I have mine set
permanently on full range (M). You have to be careful and gentle. I
know....that goes for everything. Sheeeesh. The mic sounds great.

Be very careful about where the TINY detent ball goes when you take it
apart. Get a piece of tape and stick it on the tape. I lost mine and had
Sennheiser send me another. Patric

Kalle L.

Hello again!

...and thanks for all the answers!

Remove the number-plate, remove the screw under it.

There should be a very small metal ball under the switch, that controls

the
movement of the switch.

I did this & I found the screw, and drew the back (switch part) apart of the
mic. But then I found this weird sight: there was some black (duck) tape
inside, and it had been used to keep the wiring together. It seemed like
someone had already been there, doing ...something. I don't really know much
about wiring, but this seemed like self-made. The wires seemed to be
connected weirdly: I'll include some images here....

And I also could not find the ball under the switch., that I could adjust
manually. There just seemed to be empty space around where the wires go
to the Tufnel connector. Could it be that I'm missing something vital now...

I took some photos again, so you'll see what the situation is here right
now...

http://www.nic.fi/~luckyman/images/md421HL_5.jpg
http://www.nic.fi/~luckyman/images/md421HL_6.jpg
http://www.nic.fi/~luckyman/images/md421HL_7.jpg
http://www.nic.fi/~luckyman/images/md421HL_8.jpg (the inside of the back
part of the mic, where the switch is located).

Again, I would appreciate if anyone has the patience to give some advice to
where I could go from here.

Regards, Kalle

Kalle L.

Hi,

The mic does have the Tufnel connector

Is this the connector named for Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap?

Yeah it sure is ) Ok, so now its finally happened: I'm starting to mix
real life with that great movie! It would be cool if you'd always set me
straight when I start to babble about Dobly's and all that. Or maybe I
should start to teach myself the spelling of English/German words a little
more.. Thanks anyway Mike.

If
there's any reasonable signal level coming from the mic, the adapter
is almost certainly OK.

yeah, the levels seemed to be ok, the mic certainly isn't lacking those. In
the overall context of this mail I could say that they go up to eleven...

I may start to consider asking about it/sending it to Sennheiser. I just
hope that they have some kind of office/importer here in Finland.

Regards, Kalle

Peter Larsen

Preben Friis wrote:

Some of those models had no bass cut at all.

I've got one of those; the MD521 .. - were there ever 421's without a
switch as well?

The -2's didn't have it, the large Tüchel screws directly on to the
body.

There were 5 U's that didn't have the tone control, KinoVox custom
modded them for me based on my old -n's and an custom aluminium ring
that fitted between the -2 mounting thread and a XLR-3F. Moving those
rear ends to newer mics had been interesting, I would certainly like to
have them on the 421's in the mic drawer.

I have a -21 u. that someone had modded with that custom rear end from a
-21 n, it appears to have been a good idea. KinoVox probably no longer
are able to do such modifications after abandoning production and
moving.

Oh, just to make it clear in case it is overlooked: the -hl appears as
being in opposite polarity to the -n when a normally wired low impedance
cable is used. This is something that can cause grief.

When the membrane of a 421 goes bad with age, not all of them do it,
then it looses all bass and gets unbearably sharp, there may be other
explanations in this context - I haven't yead read the thread with any
great care - but that was what came first to mind as the explanation. I
have discarded one such second hand mike that came with some other stuff
at the same price some years ago.

/Preben Friis

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter Larsen

Mike Rivers wrote:

You're probably correct about that. The switch is a bass rolloff
switch, and without enough bass, you might call it "honky" (though
that usually refers to a boost in the 300-500 Hz range). The switch
should "click."

I seem to recall a stepless version with no clicks.

I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Preben Friis

"Kalle L." wrote in message
And I also could not find the ball under the switch., that I could adjust
manually. There just seemed to be empty space around where the wires go
to the Tufnel connector. Could it be that I'm missing something vital

now...

The ball is under the platic ring, but is only responsible for the two
clicks. Not very vital at all.
Try to unscrew the metal ring around the connector and carefully remove the
platic ring. The arm of the switch is the little white platic tab seen on
the picture. The tab goes into a notch in the platic ring. If you can turn
your switch 360 degrees, something has gone wrong in there.

http://hiq.homepage.dk/studio/421switch.jpg

/Preben Friis

Preben Friis

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Preben Friis wrote:

Some of those models had no bass cut at all.

I've got one of those; the MD521 .. - were there ever 421's without a
switch as well?

The -2's didn't have it, the large Tüchel screws directly on to the
body.

D'uh, yes. I've actually got one of those myself

/Preben Friis