Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Postjudice

Postjudice is coming to conclusions about something based on its
characteristics after one has had experience with other items with
similar characteristics.

Everyone has a few postjudices. For example, I'm postjudiced against
Borg Warner automatic transmissions. They are fragile and expensive to
rebuild so I recommend replacing them where possible with
alternatives. I'm postjudiced against the neck pickup in Telecasters
because they are essentially useless and about any other pickup you
can come up with works better in there. I'm postjudiced against
Domino's Pizza because, although I have never tried to eat a used Stay-
Free Mini-Pad, it could hardly be less disgusting than the product
Domino's delivers in this and every other market I've been in that has
Domino's.

On the other hand I have prejudices too. For example, I have a friend
that recently bought a $6000 guitar because the guy in a geriatric New
Wave band he really likes has one. I have never seen, held or touched
this guitar, but I'm betting it's going to be a disappointment. It's
really difficult to pack six large worth of goodness into a solidbody
guitar. Another reason I have to doubt this guitar's ass-kick
quotient is that the only known user is this guy's hero, who actually
is a dreadful guitarist. (He did, however, have the sense to respond
to being dumped by the geriatric lead singer by marrying a pretty hot
young Italian broad and having a couple of kids with her,so he isn't
totally lame.) I'm going over this weekend to look at this thing,
though, and if it really is all that I'll give it props.

Another prejudice I have is against expensive, small two or three way
speakers. Now, I have heard a lot of them, including the Castles, the
Harbeths, and other Brit offerings, but I have not heard all of them,
so it is possible some are really a lot better than commodity or
homebrew/Madisound kit offerings of similar size and drastically lower
price. But I'm just not inclined to spend a hell of a lot of time
continually retesting that thesis when the time is better used in
listening to, selecting, and modifying BIG speakers which DO perform
lots better than a $300 Madisound pair or a pair of active monitors
from Guitar Center which save buying a power amp. Or, is this really
postjudice? Some judices are part pre and part post, I guess.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Oct 22, 11:10*am, Bret L wrote:
[...]

I find it unlikely that you would have heard a pair of Harbeths with
quality amplification without finding them to be much, much better
than a Madisound kit. So either you haven't heard a current model
Harbeth, or your hearing is suspect.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
Boon wrote:

So either you haven't heard a current model
Harbeth, or your hearing is suspect.

Domino's must be different from when I knew about it twenty-five years
ago, or another sense is suspect.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

..

[...]

Ah, the True Scotsman argument.

Impossible to win with that one!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Oct 22, 4:28*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,

*Boon wrote:
So either you haven't heard a current model
Harbeth, or your hearing is suspect.

Domino's must be different from when I knew about it twenty-five years
ago, or another sense is suspect.

That's funny...I was a manager for Domino's 25 years ago. And it was
better then.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

*Boon wrote:
So either you haven't heard a current model
Harbeth, or your hearing is suspect.

Domino's must be different from when I knew about it twenty-five years
ago, or another sense is suspect.

That's funny...I was a manager for Domino's 25 years ago. And it was
better then.

I have to admit I am prejudiced, in the true sense, because I hate
Tom Monaghan personally and with malice aforethought. He's a moron who
wrecked the old car hobby. I'll be happy when he goes to the big pizza
oven Nevertheless I can truthfully say Domino's went from not too
good to very very bad. Pizza Hut was once a pretty good product, that
has been **** for at least 20-plus years too. No national chain is
that great that I know of, we order ours at the office from Old
Chicago which is a nice sit down chain and is fairly good but not a
pizza joint per se. Locally we have a few places but none are up to
the old South Chicago standard, or even what you get in New York,
which is overrated, but better than the national chains.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

*Boon wrote:
So either you haven't heard a current model
Harbeth, or your hearing is suspect.

Domino's must be different from when I knew about it twenty-five years
ago, or another sense is suspect.

Blacks and hispanics have also diappointed Bratzi in virtually every
market he's been in. It just seems that nobody is selling them
*anywhere* any more.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Oct 22, 7:07*pm, Bret L wrote:

*I have to admit I am prejudiced, in the true sense, because I hate
Tom Monaghan personally and with malice aforethought. He's a moron who
wrecked the old car hobby.

Um, Bratzi? Any old car worth a damn is sold at auction. That means
Mr. Monaghan "wrecked" it by being just one bid better than the other
guy who was going to "wreck" it.

Unless you meant that he kept swooping in and buying up all of the
vintage cars at the thrift shops you frequent. LOL!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

*Boon wrote:
[...]

You can't get good pizza from a chain, that's for sure.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,

*Boon wrote:
So either you haven't heard a current model
Harbeth, or your hearing is suspect.

Domino's must be different from when I knew about it twenty-five years
ago, or another sense is suspect.

That's funny...I was a manager for Domino's 25 years ago. And it was
better then.

I remember fresh ingredients but I guess that's gone centralized.

Stephen