Posted to rec.audio.car
Calab Calab is offline

Default What is the procedure for checking A/T Fluid

'Do you know how long you have been here?'
'I don't know. Days, weeks, months -- I think it is months.'
'And why do you imagine that we bring people to this place?'
'To make them confess.'
'No, that is not the reason. Try again.'
'To punish them.'
'No!' exclaimed O'Brien. His voice had changed extraordinarily, and
his face had suddenly become both stern and animated. 'No! Not merely to
extract your confession, not to punish you. Shall I tell you why we have
brought you here? To cure you! To make you sane! Will you understand,
Winston, that no one whom we bring to this place ever leaves our hands
uncured? We are not interested in those stupid crimes that you have
committed. The Party is not interested in the overt act: the thought is all
we care about. We do not merely destroy our enemies, we change them. Do you
understand what I mean by that?'
He was bending over Winston. His face looked enormous because of its
nearness, and hideously ugly because it was seen from below. Moreover it
was filled with a sort of exaltation, a lunatic intensity. Again Winston's
heart shrank. If it had been possible he would have cowered deeper into the
bed. He felt certain that O'Brien was about to twist the dial out of sheer
wantonness. At this moment, however, O'Brien turned away. He took a pace or
two up and down. Then he continued less vehemently:
'The first thing for you to understand is that in this place there are
no martyrdoms. You have read of the religious persecutions of the past. In
the Middle Ages th