Posted to rec.audio.opinion
gperkins151 gperkins151 is offline

Default CD player not functioning properly

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

George

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"gperkins151" wrote in message
oups.com
I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more
than 6 years old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs
and then started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the
disc plays fine on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

It already has, right?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:
"gperkins151" wrote in message
oups.com
I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more
than 6 years old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs
and then started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the
disc plays fine on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

It already has, right?

No, it plays some CD's, but with a few, it has either a lot of trouble
reading the info, or won't play at all.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article .com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

I don't know about soon, but the cause could be as simple as a worn
belt. It may be worth getting it looked at.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"gperkins151" wrote in message
ps.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
"gperkins151" wrote in message
oups.com
I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more
than 6 years old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of
discs and then started playing them from the middle of
the disk! These discs once played fine on my player and
yes, the disc plays fine on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

It already has, right?

No, it plays some CD's, but with a few, it has either a
lot of trouble reading the info, or won't play at all.

Let's review:

A functioning CD player will play any reasonable CD, right?

This player won't play some reasonable CDs, right?

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
gperkins151 gperkins151 is offline

MiNe 109 wrote:
In article .com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

I don't know about soon, but the cause could be as simple as a worn
belt. It may be worth getting it looked at.

Stephen

Thanks! What I don't understand is wouldn't I have this problem with
most of my disks, if it was a worn belt?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article om,
"gperkins151" wrote:

MiNe 109 wrote:
In article .com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

I don't know about soon, but the cause could be as simple as a worn
belt. It may be worth getting it looked at.

Thanks! What I don't understand is wouldn't I have this problem with
most of my disks, if it was a worn belt?

Some discs are easier to read than others. Another simple test would be
to copy the offending cd to see if the copy plays.

When my old player stopped reading discs all it needed was to have the
transport mechanism cleaned.

Okay, took another look: you have a changer. Check the discs for
scratches or smudges, a long shot but cheaper than a repair shop or
another player.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

MiNe 109 wrote:
Some discs are easier to read than others. Another simple test would be
to copy the offending cd to see if the copy plays.

I will try that now, thanks!

When my old player stopped reading discs all it needed was to have the
transport mechanism cleaned.

Yes, a friend suggested that I unplug the player and use a can of air
to spray of the insides.

Okay, took another look: you have a changer. Check the discs for
scratches or smudges, a long shot but cheaper than a repair shop or
another player.

Stephen

I've checked the disc, it looks fine and it plays fine on my portable
player. : (

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
gperkins151 gperkins151 is offline

MiNe 109 wrote:
In article om,
"gperkins151" wrote:

MiNe 109 wrote:
In article .com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

[...]

So I just burned a copy of the disk that wasn't working and the copy
played fine, so I thought 'problem solved.' Then I for the hell of it I
tried the original and that played fine too. Looks like I got some kind
of intermittent CD player problem.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
DaveW DaveW is offline

gperkins151 wrote:
MiNe 109 wrote:
In article om,
"gperkins151" wrote:

MiNe 109 wrote:
In article .com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

[...]

This sort of thing happens all the time with my CD jukebox machine. It
holds 200 CDs in a merry-go-round configuration. I think that over the
months (years) dust settles in the small trough in which each CD sits,
and when you go to play it, sometimes it gets in the way of the laser
reading the disk. Often, just switching to another disk and then back to
the offending one will solve the problem. You probably inadvertently
cleaned off the offending spot.

I suspect that the removal and inserting of the CD into its place knocks
the dust off. Occasionally, CDs will actually get a film on them, which
appears to be from airborne kitchen grease or something like that. Kind
of a white milky cloudy film like glassware that sits on a shelf for
years. It cleans off and everything is fine again for a year or two.

Regards,

DAve

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On 4 Jan 2007 19:15:27 -0800, "gperkins151"
wrote:

So I just burned a copy of the disk that wasn't working and the copy
played fine, so I thought 'problem solved.' Then I for the hell of it I
tried the original and that played fine too. Looks like I got some kind
of intermittent CD player problem.

Have you considered that 6 years is not a bad innings and that if you
bought a decent DVD player it would probably sound better than your
changer AND play movies? Of course you wouldn't get endless music, but
surely even at a party it isn't too much trouble to change discs every
75 minutes.

There you go. Problem solved. :-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
gperkins151 gperkins151 is offline

DaveW wrote:
gperkins151 wrote:
MiNe 109 wrote:
In article om,
"gperkins151" wrote:

MiNe 109 wrote:
In article .com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dave!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
.com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more
than 6 years old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of
discs and then started playing them from the middle of
the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the
disc plays fine on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

I don't know about soon, but the cause could be as simple
as a worn belt. It may be worth getting it looked at.

It's pretty obvious that this is a tracking problem. Usually, the only belt
in a CD transport is related to moving the disc tray in and out for loading
and unloading the disc. How could a belt be related to the stated problem?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
gperkins151 gperkins151 is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
.com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more
than 6 years old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of
discs and then started playing them from the middle of
the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the
disc plays fine on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

I don't know about soon, but the cause could be as simple
as a worn belt. It may be worth getting it looked at.

It's pretty obvious that this is a tracking problem. Usually, the only belt
in a CD transport is related to moving the disc tray in and out for loading
and unloading the disc. How could a belt be related to the stated problem?

If its a tracking problem, is it something that I can fix? If no, can
it be fixed by a professional? If so, what do they generally charge?
I'm in the NYC area, anyone suggest a place who could handle this if I
can't do it myself?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"gperkins151" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

If you try the cleaning advice given earlier, and you continue to have
problems...then most likely you have a problem in the servo system or the
logic chip. These are not uncommon problems with cd and dvd transports, and
can usually be handled by an authorized repair station or repairman.
Whether or not it is economical to have it repaired is a another question.
If it were me in that situation, I would not hesitate to buy a new player,
probably a Universal or SACD/CD player that also handled CD-Rs, CD-RW's,
MP3, and WMEs.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Harry Lavo wrote:
[...]

Yes, I paid $175 for the unit, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it
to service it. BTW, its a Yamaha CDC-585. I like the sound so it would
be nice to hold onto it if possible.

I am considering the Sony SCDCE-595, which gets good consumer reviews
except:
1. Hot/Bright high end. This worries me because my system is bass light
to begin with.
2. 20-25 seconds to read new discs. Is this true?
3. SACD's sound great but not as good for CD's. And I mostly play CD's.

I am therefore also considering the NAD C521BEE, but I've read that for
some users it has problems playing CD's. Someone recommends putting a
book on the player to remedy the problem. Unfortunately this player
costs almost 3X what the Sony costs.

My main concerns are price/sound quality/longevity. Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"gperkins151" wrote in message
ps.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
.com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

[...]

Do it the old fashion way. Look in the NYC Yellow Pages for a
Yamaha-Authorized Repair place, call them and ask. Alternatively, go
through the company's web sit and look for authorized repair stations. Then
email them or call the one most convenient for you for a quote. Nowadays,
many companies prefer the unit be shipped to a regional repair center, so
UPS or FedEX may be in your future.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Arny Krueger a scris:
"gperkins151" wrote in message
oups.com
I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more
than 6 years old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs
and then started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the
disc plays fine on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

It already has, right?

Arny has found a new boy in his debating trade sandbox.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

Arny Krueger a scris:

Let's review:

A functioning CD player will play any reasonable CD, right?

This player won't play some reasonable CDs, right?

;-)

Arny scores two points on the green rookie.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
.com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more
than 6 years old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of
discs and then started playing them from the middle of
the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the
disc plays fine on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

I don't know about soon, but the cause could be as simple
as a worn belt. It may be worth getting it looked at.

It's pretty obvious that this is a tracking problem. Usually, the only belt
in a CD transport is related to moving the disc tray in and out for loading
and unloading the disc. How could a belt be related to the stated problem?

Dunno. It's what a tech told me years ago in a similar case.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"gperkins151" wrote in message
ps.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
.com,
"gperkins151" wrote:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more
than 6 years old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of
discs and then started playing them from the middle of
the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the
disc plays fine on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

I don't know about soon, but the cause could be as
simple as a worn belt. It may be worth getting it
looked at.

It's pretty obvious that this is a tracking problem.
Usually, the only belt in a CD transport is related to
moving the disc tray in and out for loading and
unloading the disc. How could a belt be related to the
stated problem?

If its a tracking problem, is it something that I can
fix?

Have you tried to clean the lens?

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=14084681

If no, can it be fixed by a professional? If so,
what do they generally charge? I'm in the NYC area,
anyone suggest a place who could handle this if I can't
do it myself?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

"gperkins151" said:

I have a Yamaha CD player (CDC-585) that can't be more than 6 years
old.

Today it took longer than usual to read a couple of discs and then
started playing them from the middle of the disk!
These discs once played fine on my player and yes, the disc plays fine
on another player.

Does this mean my CD player will soon stop functioning?

In addition to what others already said:
It seems to me that the two rods where the laserhead is sliding over,
may be dirty and/or the grease has gone thick.
That way, the feed mechanism will "overshoot" and the player will
start playing somewhere in the middle, or it will skip after playing
for a minute or so.

Clean the 2 rods with Q-tips, and lubricate it (carefully) with
silicone grease or teflon spray.

Do not use too much of it.

Another possible cause can be a piece of sand grain that's stuck
between the cog wheels of the laser transport mechanism.
Use a tooth brush to clean the dirt out.
Take care not to scratch the lens surface of the laserhead!

BTW did you already clean the lens with a Q-tip, by slightly pressing
and turning it around on the surface?

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Sander deWaal wrote:

BTW did you already clean the lens with a Q-tip, by slightly pressing
and turning it around on the surface?

No, all I have done is use my TDK Laser Lens cleaner.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Harry Lavo wrote:
[...]

I don't know about the Sony CE-595, but I have owned (and still do) a CE-775
(the changer forerunner to the 595, I believe), a Sony C2000ES, and a Sony
C222ES. None would I characterize as excessively bright, and I use Thiel
speakers which do not dull the high end. You might look for a used CE-775.
They have good CD and SACD sound....not top tier, but very good especially
at their modest price. They are a favorite for modders because the main
upgrades that can improve the sound are all electronic...additional power
supply regulation, and capacitor/opamp substitutuions. These add
transparency and greater smoothness...but the basic sound of the original
unit is not bad to begin with. I use mine in my bedroom system and never
feel "deprived" from it not being my best player. The C2000ES is amazingly
transparent for its price point. The C222ES, also available used, is a
quite a bit "darker" and also a bit less transparent than the C2000ES... and
has better CD sound..it might make an excellent fit with your system and can
be had used for under $200.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Harry Lavo wrote:
[...]

Thanks Harry, I'll look into it!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"gperkins151" said:

BTW did you already clean the lens with a Q-tip, by slightly pressing
and turning it around on the surface?

No, all I have done is use my TDK Laser Lens cleaner.

Ouch.

They're notorious for scratching lens surfaces.

But try what I said about the cogwheels and laser guides first.

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy dizzy is offline

DaveW wrote:

Occasionally, CDs will actually get a film on them, which
appears to be from airborne kitchen grease or something like that. Kind
of a white milky cloudy film like glassware that sits on a shelf for
years.

Right-wing scum, maybe.

It cleans off and everything is fine again for a year or two.

Election years, you mean?

8)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett bassett is offline

wrote:

So I just burned a copy of the disk that wasn't working and the copy
played fine, so I thought 'problem solved.' Then I for the hell of it I
tried the original and that played fine too. Looks like I got some kind
of intermittent CD player problem.

Have you considered that 6 years is not a bad innings and that if you
bought a decent DVD player it would probably sound better than your
changer AND play movies? Of course you wouldn't get endless music, but
surely even at a party it isn't too much trouble to change discs every
75 minutes.

There you go. Problem solved. :-)

Sounds like the lazer lens is dirty,
They produce a special disc for cleaning the lazer lens,, it has small
brushes built into the disc.. get one of those or clean the lazer lens
with a small brush, end of problem..

Buying a DVD player for CD's,, more sound [sic] advice from Packer.
Can't really expect much more from a ****-wit.
bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

The Ozzie Hound yelped:

****-wit.

There's no hyphen in ****wit, nimrod.

--

Lionella loves the Krooborg from afar. With mud on top.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Sander deWaal wrote:
"gperkins151" said:

BTW did you already clean the lens with a Q-tip, by slightly pressing
and turning it around on the surface?

I just did that an hour ago. There was quite a bit of dust and other
gunk on the immediate area surrounding the lens. I also sprayed the
unit with air, closed it up and it seems to be fine now. I didn't
lubricate, because without a diagram, I wouldn't know the first thing
to do.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

[...]

So, you think a new Pioneer or Sony DVD player will sound significantly
worse than an old CD changer--is that it, bassett? The fact is, there
will be no loss of sound quality, possibly an improvement; there will
be greater reliability and the option of playing movies. And such
players can be had for AU$100. Where's the problem, except in your
addled "mind"?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

"bassett" barked:

Sounds like the lazer lens is dirty,

"Lazer"?

They produce a special disc for cleaning the lazer lens,, it has small
brushes built into the disc.. get one of those or clean the lazer lens
with a small brush, end of problem..

IOW a "cleaning disc".

Guaranteed to scratch the lens, and to leave dust and brush particles
in the mechanism.

"Sound" advice, indeed.

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:34:48 +0100, Sander deWaal
wrote:

"bassett" barked:

Sounds like the lazer lens is dirty,

"Lazer"?

They produce a special disc for cleaning the lazer lens,, it has small
brushes built into the disc.. get one of those or clean the lazer lens
with a small brush, end of problem..

IOW a "cleaning disc".

Guaranteed to scratch the lens, and to leave dust and brush particles
in the mechanism.

"Sound" advice, indeed.

You should have a browser like mine--bassett's post hasn't shown up at
all. I'm hoping the trend continues.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett bassett is offline

"paul packer" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

[...]

It really is quite simple, Most DVD players consentrate on the vidio
quality, and don't bother with the Audio quality, You get what you
get.
Any CD player, has a farly good DAC, The more you pay the better the
quality of the DAC, or you buy a seperate stand alone DAC.

Perhaps you should define the term "old CD Player" I,ve just obtained
an old , used , Mark Levinson CD Player. And very nice it is too.
As for Pioneer and Sony, I,ve never owned those products, or though I
did compair a Pioneer Plasma agains't a Fujitsu once.

Next question.
bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett bassett is offline

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:34:48 +0100, Sander deWaal

You should have a browser like mine--bassett's post hasn't shown up at
all. I'm hoping the trend continues.

Is that why you replied to an earler post Stupid... Never mind you'll
be back in Pre-school next week
bassett

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:50:28 +1100, "bassett"
wrote:

So, you think a new Pioneer or Sony DVD player will sound significantly
worse than an old CD changer--is that it, bassett? The fact is, there
will be no loss of sound quality, possibly an improvement; there will
be greater reliability and the option of playing movies. And such
players can be had for AU$100. Where's the problem, except in your
addled "mind"?

It really is quite simple, Most DVD players consentrate on the vidio
quality, and don't bother with the Audio quality, You get what you
get.

Rubbish. That was true 5 years ago. Where have you been since then?

Any CD player, has a farly good DAC,

In a budget changer? I don't think so. and budget is what we're
talking here.

The more you pay the better the
quality of the DAC, or you buy a seperate stand alone DAC.

Budget, Dumbo. Get it?

Perhaps you should define the term "old CD Player" I,ve just obtained
an old , used , Mark Levinson CD Player. And very nice it is too.

Budget.

As for Pioneer and Sony, I,ve never owned those products, or though I
did compair a Pioneer Plasma agains't a Fujitsu once.

Budget.

Next question.

What do you use for a brain?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:52:25 +1100, "bassett"
wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:34:48 +0100, Sander deWaal

You should have a browser like mine--bassett's post hasn't shown up at
all. I'm hoping the trend continues.

Is that why you replied to an earler post Stupid... Never mind you'll
be back in Pre-school next week
bassett

Now why did I know you'd say that? Never figured I'd read your post
in someone else's? Or visit Google Groups?

Wake up!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

paul packer said:

Any CD player, has a farly good DAC,

In a budget changer? I don't think so. and budget is what we're
talking here.

Serious question (I know it's still only January, but off I go): What is the
difference in cost between the DAC they put in a sub-$100 player and an
expensive one? It was my impression -- superficial, I admit -- that DACs are
now produced in such numbers that the cost difference should be quite small.

--

Krooscience: The antidote to education, experience, and excellence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

George M. Middius cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net
said:

Serious question (I know it's still only January, but off I go): What is the
difference in cost between the DAC they put in a sub-$100 player and an
expensive one? It was my impression -- superficial, I admit -- that DACs are
now produced in such numbers that the cost difference should be quite small.

It is, actually.

It's the surrounding (analogue, clock) electronics and power supply +
PCB routing where a difference can be made.

A difference, not necessarily an improvement, but you knew that.

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
wrote:

paul packer said:

Any CD player, has a farly good DAC,

In a budget changer? I don't think so. and budget is what we're
talking here.

Serious question (I know it's still only January, but off I go): What is the
difference in cost between the DAC they put in a sub-$100 player and an
expensive one? It was my impression -- superficial, I admit -- that DACs are
now produced in such numbers that the cost difference should be quite small.

High-end models sometime have multiple DACs. There's also been
discussion of the circuitry following the DAC as a possible contributor
to sound quality.

It does seem like a DAC can be a less important part of a chip designed
for other tasks.

Stephen