Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Value of KLH speakers?

"thanatoid" wrote in message
Hell I've never heard a pair of speakers that I'd be happy
with for that price, and the frequency response above 15kHz
is NOT a real consideration for me any more. BUT distortion
levels and bass response sure are. However for those who
are happy with their little systems, good luck to them,
they sure save a lot of money, but don't pretend they are
just as good.

And IF you are a musician, I'll bet you wouldn't be happy
playing in a venue with a $1500 sound system!

Take off all the gold necklaces affecting your brain operation
and you MAY realize that an amplifier (etc) for stage use is NOT
quite the same as a hi-fi amplifier in the house.

Maybe IF you could actually read I specifically mentioned speakers, NOT
amplifiers (which CAN be had for little money these days, both HiFi and
pro-sound)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
No question.....It certainly has little to do with the money they
make

No argument there!

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

Ah,

You'd know all about looking the fool, Kooger.

AZ's "It doesn't and you won't." wasn't a logical argument, and it
deserved none in response.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Bill Graham wrote:

"dizzy" wrote in message
news
Bill Graham wrote:

"dizzy" wrote:

Bill Graham wrote:

Also, the highest note on a piano is only around 8 Kilohertz, so
it's pretty much a waste of time to buy devices that operate much above
that, either, but that's a whole different argument, and I probably
shouldn't open up that can of worms.....

You're right, you shouldn't. The are audible harmonics above 8 kHz,
no matter what the fundamental frequency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonics

Yes.....Barely audible, at least to me....I do notice that when I was
younger, I had little or no trouble being able to tell the difference
between real sounds, and sounds that came from some electronic
reproductive
device, but in recent years (I am 75)

Doesn't excuse the above silly statement you made:

And what silly statement was that?

Also, the highest note on a piano is only around 8 Kilohertz, so
it's pretty much a waste of time to buy devices that operate much above
that

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

"dizzy" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:

"dizzy" wrote in message
news
Bill Graham wrote:

"dizzy" wrote:

Bill Graham wrote:

[...]

Well, how silly that is depends on your (or my) definition of, "much". But I
will concede that three times the fundamental is a reasonable starting
point.
4x the fundamental is definitely overkill, in my opinion, and there isn't
much music that goes more than about 4 KHz, (which is one octave below the
highest note on the piano)

In any case, it's a matter of opinion.....Just having the range without
considering what's in that range is another question altogether.....Perhaps
the music might sound better without all the harmonics above 4 or 5 times
the fundamental. It's kind of like wine tasting.....Just because you can
taste the difference between wine from two different vineyards doesn't mean
that the most expensive one is going to taste better. A reasonable person
might like a cheap wine better than a very expensive one. In a similar vein,
music without all the higher harmonics may not be necessarily worse.....Some
of those harmonics might ruin the sound to those who can actually hear them.
A purist will probably like the harmonics, but there are a lot of people who
like what I call "pseudo-stereo", or artificially manufactured stereo which
is unlike what you actually hear when you go to the concert and sit front
and center. They prefer, (and are willing to pay a premium for) the gimics,
or the sounds manufactured by sound mixers playing some kind of game at the
mixing boards.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in
u:

snip

You said:

And IF you are a musician, I'll bet you wouldn't be happy
playing in a venue with a $1500 sound system!

OK, if "sound system" means speakers, so be it.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I get on the Internet."
- a 21st Century Moron
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"thanatoid" wrote in message
Maybe IF you could actually read I specifically mentioned
speakers, NOT amplifiers (which CAN be had for little money
these days, both HiFi and pro-sound)

You said:

Only total ******s need to do that to try and prove some stupid point.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"thanatoid" wrote in message
**** off and die.

Ditto

Plonk.

I'm SO heartbroken! :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Bill Graham wrote:

music without all the higher harmonics may not be necessarily worse.....Some
of those harmonics might ruin the sound to those who can actually hear them.

There's nothing more to discuss, silly person.

Sheesh.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"dizzy" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:

music without all the higher harmonics may not be necessarily
worse.....Some
of those harmonics might ruin the sound to those who can actually hear
them.

There's nothing more to discuss, silly person.

Sheesh.

I'll go even further than that....Some of the modern music would be better
if there were no sounds at all......How many times have I said, "Thank God
for the mute button...."

Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_2_] ~misfit~[_2_] is offline

Somewhere on teh intarwebs GregS wrote:
In article , David
Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/5/2010 10:02 PM Eeyore spake thus:

[snip]
My point was that the floor the speakers is placed on *could* easily
be carpeted. Certainly not my choice of floor covering here, but it
exists
in many places out there in the wild.

And yes, I certainly wouldn't expect to see carpet in a studio
control room.

I would say carpeting is mandatory in my view in any audio room. So
is wall treatments, and ceiling treatments.

Ahh! I fondly remember the days of gluing egg-trays to the ceiling of the
lounge until it was completely covered from wall to wall.

Those were the days, when aesthetics took a back-seat to sound quality.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/5/2010 10:02 PM Eeyore spake thus:

[snip]
My point was that the floor the speakers is placed on *could* easily
be carpeted. Certainly not my choice of floor covering here, but it
exists
in many places out there in the wild.

And yes, I certainly wouldn't expect to see carpet in a studio
control room.

I would say carpeting is mandatory in my view in any audio room. So
is wall treatments, and ceiling treatments.

Ahh! I fondly remember the days of gluing egg-trays to the ceiling of the
lounge until it was completely covered from wall to wall.

Those were the days, when aesthetics took a back-seat to sound quality.

I think you mean those were the days when aesthetics and sound quality
took a back seat to urban myth.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"~misfit~" wrote in
message
,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/5/2010 10:02 PM Eeyore spake thus:

[snip]
My point was that the floor the speakers is placed on
*could* easily be carpeted. Certainly not my choice of
floor covering here, but it exists
in many places out there in the wild.

And yes, I certainly wouldn't expect to see carpet in a
studio control room.

I would say carpeting is mandatory in my view in any
audio room. So is wall treatments, and ceiling
treatments.

Ahh! I fondly remember the days of gluing egg-trays to
the ceiling of the lounge until it was completely covered
from wall to wall.
Those were the days, when aesthetics took a back-seat to
sound quality.

At university, my room was fairly small and some really neat egg trays were
available in large volumes from the dumpster behind the residence hall
kitchen. I obtained a large number of them, painted them tasteful colors,
fastened them together into large panels with stiff wire, and literally
covered the walls of my room with them.

They had virtually no beneficial acoustical effects, which measurements bear
out.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_2_] ~misfit~[_2_] is offline

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Arny Krueger wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in
message
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I don't think our egg trays did anything either. Still, it was a
talking point. :-)

I actually have one on the side of the 100+ year-old solid timber
chest-of-drawers in my bedroom right now. There is a downward-firing Klipsch
12" sub next to it with the port only around 120mm away and aimed right at
the side. I don't know if that does anything either but I didn't like the
idea of a big port like that breathing so close to a large flat (potentially
resonant) surface.
--
Cheers,