Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default SPL definition

Les Cargill writes:

Randy Yates wrote:
Les Cargill writes:

They're baaaaaaack. http://www.mellotron.com

Who'd want one now when you can have a sampler with 24 bits / 120 dB
SNR?

Why do people spend $1500 for a Victoria tweed
Deluxe?

Because it's a Mellotron. It's a musical
instrument with its own sound.

Yeah, I can certainly relate to that. It's the same reason I want (some
day) to get another B3 even though they have VK7s and X3 (isn't
it?). And I do currently own a 1969 122 Leslie.

I'm with you, though - I own a ROMpler with a scattering of sampled
Mellotron patches, and those oughta get somebody an awful long way.

We are on the same wavelength.

By the way, didn't Rick Wakeman make extensive use of mellotrons in his
"Six Wives of Henry VIII"?
--
% Randy Yates % "I met someone who looks alot like you,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % she does the things you do,
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message
There's nothing incorrect about using dBs for voltage.

Sure, as long as you know what you are specifying, and how.

Indeed since audio no longer uses matched impedance working (and hasn't

fro many
decades), using dBm is not only pointless and irrelevant but wholly WRONG.

Why should dBm be any more wrong than dBu or dBv ?
If you don't understand it, simply don't use it.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

There's nothing incorrect about using dBs for voltage.

Sure, as long as you know what you are specifying, and how.

Indeed since audio no longer uses matched impedance working (and hasn't

fro many
decades), using dBm is not only pointless and irrelevant but wholly WRONG.

Why should dBm be any more wrong than dBu or dBv ?
If you don't understand it, simply don't use it.

I understand it perfectly but I haven't met any real 600 ohm matched working
equipment in over 30 years. THAT is what makes dBm in audio an irrelevance. To
use dBm correctly, the equipment MUST have 600 ohm outputs and 600 ohm inputs.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

In rec.audio.tech Randy Yates wrote:
Les Cargill writes:

They're baaaaaaack. http://www.mellotron.com

Who'd want one now when you can have a sampler
with 24 bits / 120 dB SNR?

Q: What were the fundamental differences between the Mellotron and
Birotron?

Rick Wakeman: The mellotron was a great sounding instrument that was a
nightmare to play, never stayed in tune, broke down all the time
and the notes only played for 8 seconds. The birotron was a great
sounding instrument that was a nightmare to play, never stayed in
tune, broke down all the time but the notes played for 8 minutes.

:-)

Andrew.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Les Cargill writes:

They're baaaaaaack. http://www.mellotron.com

Who'd want one now when you can have a sampler
with 24 bits / 120 dB SNR?

Q: What were the fundamental differences between the Mellotron and
Birotron?

Rick Wakeman: The mellotron was a great sounding instrument that was a
nightmare to play, never stayed in tune, broke down all the time
and the notes only played for 8 seconds. The birotron was a great
sounding instrument that was a nightmare to play, never stayed in
tune, broke down all the time but the notes played for 8 minutes.

:-)

I'd never heard that one.
--
% Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % things were so uncomplicated?"

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message
Indeed since audio no longer uses matched impedance working (and

hasn't
fro many
decades), using dBm is not only pointless and irrelevant but wholly

WRONG.

Why should dBm be any more wrong than dBu or dBv ?
If you don't understand it, simply don't use it.

I understand it perfectly but I haven't met any real 600 ohm matched

working
equipment in over 30 years. THAT is what makes dBm in audio an

irrelevance.

Irrelevant to you maybe, but still not wrong when used correctly.

MrT.