hank alrich

Mark wrote:

My favorites are those little teflon sticks being sold to audiofools to
support speaker cables up off and away from the lossy dielectric
plastic fibers in your carpet.

Actually, those are just to make it easier to vacuum clean the carpet.

--
ha
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"hank alrich" wrote in message .. .
Mark wrote:

My favorites are those little teflon sticks being sold to audiofools to
support speaker cables up off and away from the lossy dielectric
plastic fibers in your carpet.

Actually, those are just to make it easier to vacuum clean the carpet.

NO.... You can't vacuum the carpet! The motor in the vacuum cleaner
creates an electromagnetic field that will cause you to have to go out and
spend $100,000 on little miracle devices to clean that horrible magnetic
mess off of your entire stereo system.... if the salesman doesn't convince
you first that you have to just replace the whole thing. You've 'exposed'
the electrons to confusion and they're... um... well, confused!

Ricky Hunt

"Mike Diack" wrote in message
.. .

And the winner is.....
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me.../merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=V OLUME&Product_Count=2

Man, you beat me to it.

Ricky Hunt

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

I think that site wins. I especially like this about the "intelligent chip":

"If left on top of the player, the Chip will not function until the next
disc to be upgraded is inserted in the player and played. If you attempt to
upgrade a disc that has already been upgraded, the Chip will "sense" that
the disc is already upgraded and spend no energy on it, thus avoiding using
the Chip unnecessarily. Always store the Chip in its protective case, well
away from the player."

Robert Morein

"OFFICIAL RAM BLUEBOOK VALUATION" wrote in message
.. .

Bull****.

Bruce Burke

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:44:27 -0500, Boris Mohar
wrote:

On 3 Mar 2005 05:43:04 -0800, "Agent_C"
wrote:

I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Here is my partial collection. About 0.01% of what is out there.

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...380&sku=AAQEV8
http://gallery.consumerreview.com/au...es/opus-mm.asp
http://www.bybeetech.com/

** Ahhh yes, those infamous Bybee Filters that use cooper pairs in a
room temperature supercondutctor that know the bad electrons from the
good electrons......

You can to the list, anything by Jon Risch.
Regards,

Bruce
Hitting reply is futile, use the following:
).
Mark

Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
dt king wrote:

In theory, a patented invention must be "useful", "novel", and
"non-obvious". Most would say that "useful" requires that it

actually
work, at least to some extent. It used to be the case, long ago,

that
you had to actually build at least a working model and be able to
demonstrate that the device worked.

They say one of the simplest patents ever granted was for the number

1.65.
It was granted to Phillip H. Smith as the optimum diameter ratio for

coaxial transmission line.

Neat - that's the ratio which gives the lowest loss per weight/cost
of materials given standard (WW II) dielectrics, right?

It is a common mis-conception, but dielectric loss is not significant
for most coax cables at frequencies below a few GHz. The copper losses
are by far dominant. Teflon dielectric reduces cable loss because it
allows the use of a thicker center conductor which reduces copper loss.

http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/Coaxloss.cfm

Mark

Bill Van Dyk

There was a guy who wanted to spend $350 billion dollars getting rid of
WMD's somewhere. I heard he did very well. Lately, he's offering to
improve everyone's pension plans!

Jerry G. wrote:
A number of years ago, I have seen something called a "CD Demagnetizer".
Yet, there is nothing magnetic about an optical CD. The seller of this,
really did some fancy explanations about this one.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Steven SullivanTweako amp designer Mark Levinson has been touting
those 'results' for some
years now...most recently in a published
'roundtable' in The Absolute Sound. The polite silence from the other
members
of the roundtable was rather telling...even TAS has its limits. "

I don't think Mark Levinson actually designs I think he's a marketer.
I know he's famous for a sex manual he wrote with wife Kim Cattrall. I
should say ex-wife... who buys a sex manual from a married couple who
broke up??

You might find this interesting, relevant and perhaps even a little
explanitory:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...roduct-details

"Anyways, yes the movie is entitled LIVE NUDE GIRLS, and yes all the leading
ladies in this movie ARE in fact nude in this movie. Men, especially myself
find this movie very compelling to watch as it has the unbelieveably HOT
Dana Delany in it, as sexy as ever. It also includes the equally hot Kim
Catrall."

Somehow references to this flick don't seem to show up at:

http://www.danadelany.com/news.htm

...but maybe I'm missing something.

Colin B.

In rec.audio.tech Mr.T MrT@home wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
know he's famous for a sex manual he wrote with wife Kim Cattrall. I
should say ex-wife... who buys a sex manual from a married couple who
broke up??

Even worse is buying a relationship manual like "Women are from Mars, Men
are from Venus" (or is it vice versa?) from someone who is divorced :-)

And got his PhD from a degree mill. And gives new meaning to the word
misogyny.

Jerry G.

That looks like one of the ones I saw! I know of someone who bought one for
$20. Naturally he found no difference, other than that it looked impressive
on his phone. Everyone was asking him what it was. After a lengthy
explanation we were all laughing all the time.

One thing of interest is that he met his wife with it, because it made for a
good conversation at a local bar. He bought her one while they were dating.
It was funny to see that.

There was also one that looked like a little lady-bug. The women went for
that one.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Jerry G." wrote ...
There is another little gadget that I have not seen for a while. This one

is
the cell phone bug. It is supposed to reduce dangerous radiation, and give
better reception. It looks like a little bug that the user sticks on to

his
or her phone, located near to the antenna. I wonder if this one was pulled
from the market.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi....cgi?item=PA-5

Jerry G.

That sounds interesting. I assume that antenna does not matter with this
gadget! In fact where the speaker is, the radiation is of the least. It is
at the antenna where most of the radiation comes from. Obstructing the
antenna in any way will worsen the performance of the phone.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"play on" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:28:09 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Jerry G." wrote ...
There is another little gadget that I have not seen for a while. This one

is
the cell phone bug. It is supposed to reduce dangerous radiation, and
give
better reception. It looks like a little bug that the user sticks on to

his
or her phone, located near to the antenna. I wonder if this one was
pulled
from the market.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi....cgi?item=PA-5

Yeah that's the antenna, but there is another product that you would
stick over the little speaker that was supposed to protect your brain
waves from the cell phone waves.

Al

Jerry G.

You have to be careful with such jokes. Some scammer may find it interesting
and use it!

--

Jerry G.
=====

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is one I made up once:

WAVE ENHANCE is an antispurious ion wave charged aerosol spray to
improve the
acoustic wave transmission in any normal listening room. Just spray
this
special aerosol formula before any intense listening session and you
won't
believe the improvement in sound wave transmission. Deeper lows,
smoother mids
and oh such sweet highs that give you the tingles. Many high end
speaker
manufacturers were spraying their listening rooms with our spray at the
last
CES.

Only $12.99 per 12 oz can.

OK, this was JUST A JOKE for all you guys who debate speaker wire and
cable
sound! Hope you enjoyed it.

Now for some SERIOUS used audio deals please visit:

http://members.aol.com/KDresch/audio.net.html

Alex Rodriguez

says...

Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Some of my favorite snake oil products have come from the Shakti company:
http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm
They not only improve your audio, but the same technology will make your
car run better!
http://www.shakti-innovations.com/automotive.htm
And here's their latest innovation:
http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

Gee those folks at shakti are stupid. On their web site they show acceleration
times of Cheby Tahoe. The before time is 10.83. The after time is 11.16 . So
it clearly shows their snake oil stones makes things worse.
------------
Alex

Dave Platt

In article .com,
Mark wrote:

Neat - that's the ratio which gives the lowest loss per weight/cost
of materials given standard (WW II) dielectrics, right?

It is a common mis-conception, but dielectric loss is not significant
for most coax cables at frequencies below a few GHz. The copper losses
are by far dominant. Teflon dielectric reduces cable loss because it
allows the use of a thicker center conductor which reduces copper loss.

http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/Coaxloss.cfm

Understood! However, the decreased losses come at a significant cost
disadvantage - the Teflon dielectric is more expensive, and the
thicker center conductor uses more metal and is thus both heavier and
more expensive.

My recollection is that the 1.56 diameter ratio (and a 52-ohm
characteristic impedance) were selected because this placed the cable
design in a "sweet spot" in the "RF loss per dollar spent making the
cables" curve. Again if I recall properly (possibly not) this
occurred during World War II, when the wartime economy required
producing the military equipment as cost-efficiently as possible.

Lower losses are certainly possible, using different characteristic
impedances and different dielectrics, but (if I understand the story
right) the materials and prices available back in the era in question
were such that the lower-loss coaxial cable designs were restricted in
their application.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/ele...of_50_ohms.htm

There are probably lots of stories about how 50 Ohms came to be. The
one I am most familiar goes like this. In the early days of microwaves
- around World War II, impedances were chosen depending on the
application. For maximum power handling, somewhere between 30 and 44
Ohms was used. On the other hand, lowest attenuation for an air filled
line was around 93 Ohms. In those days, there were no flexible cables,
at least for higher frequencies, only rigid tubes with air dielectric.
Semi-rigid cable came about in the early 50's, while real microwave
flex cable was approximately 10 years later.

Somewhere along the way it was decided to standardize on a given
impedance so that economy and convenience could be brought into the
equation. In the US, 50 Ohms was chosen as a compromise. There was a
group known as JAN, which stood for Joint Army and Navy who took on
these matters. They later became DESC, for Defense Electronic Supply
Center, where the MIL specs evolved. Europe chose 60 Ohms. In reality,
in the US, since most of the "tubes" were actually existing materials
consisting of standard rods and water pipes, 51.5 Ohms was quite
common. It was amazing to see and use adapter/converters to go from 50
to 51.5 Ohms. Eventually, 50 won out, and special tubing was created
(or maybe the plumbers allowed their pipes to change dimension
slightly).

Further along, the Europeans were forced to change because of the
influence of companies such as Hewlett-Packard which dominated the
world scene. 75 Ohms is the telecommunications standard, because in a
dielectric filled line, somewhere around 77 Ohms gives the lowest loss.
(Cable TV) 93 Ohms is still used for short runs such as the connection
between computers and their monitors because of low capacitance per
foot which would reduce the loading on circuits and allow longer cable
runs.

Volume 9 of the MIT Rad Lab Series has some greater details of this for
those interested. It has been reprinted by Artech House and is
available.

Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.marketplace , on Fri, 04 Mar
2005 10:27:15 -0500, Bill Van Dyk
wrote:

There was a guy who wanted to spend $350 billion dollars getting rid of
WMD's somewhere. I heard he did very well. Lately, he's offering to
improve everyone's pension plans!

I recall his contribution to the field of audio. It was the words
"Can you hear me now?"

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Here is a cool device from Rane:
http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

make sure to download the PDFs.

Peter

TimPerry

wrote in message
ps.com...
Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Here is a cool device from Rane:
http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

make sure to download the PDFs.

Peter

but this is a harmless (and hilarious) spoof. not true snake oil at all

TimPerry

"Jerry G." wrote in message
A number of years ago, I have seen something called a "CD Demagnetizer".
Yet, there is nothing magnetic about an optical CD. The seller of this,
really did some fancy explanations about this one.

Another one that I see from time to time, are AC cords for several hundred
dollars that are supposed to make the sound more accurate, and have less
noise. But, when questioned about the electrical system in the house, the
seller of these did a lot of skating around the question.

Many years ago, another one I saw was a special flashlight that should be
shined on CD disk before playing it. The idea was to neutralize any

optical
noise patterns that can be formed on the disk. This special flashlight was
selling for about $100. The replacement lamps were $10, and the enhanced
batteries were something like $20 each.

There is another little gadget that I have not seen for a while. This one

is
the cell phone bug. It is supposed to reduce dangerous radiation, and give
better reception. It looks like a little bug that the user sticks on to

his
or her phone, located near to the antenna. I wonder if this one was pulled
from the market.

remember the "CD stabilizer rings" ?

here is one that isn't necessarily a scam.... but $30K for a cello audio
suite?

Steven Sullivan

lordy, it never ends..

http://www.soundstage.com/weaver04.htm

(I've read tthat the green pen tweaks started as an online hoax....
taken as truth by some gullible audiophile...and the rest is
history. I haven't been able to trace the story back
far enough to verify that)

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
Steven Sullivan

and here's more about the Armour-All tweak brouhaha -- perhaps Mr. Atkinson
can comment on its accuracy.

http://www.soundstage.com/weaver06.htm

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
before the House Armed Services Committee
Ben Bradley

In rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.marketplace , on Sat, 5 Mar
2005 13:28:27 -0500, "TimPerry" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Here is a cool device from Rane:
http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

make sure to download the PDFs.

Peter

but this is a harmless (and hilarious) spoof. not true snake oil at all

I dunno about that, it looks like a blatant ripoff of the origial
Funk Logic equipment. I think there could be a lawsuit here. Check out
Mr. Logic's products on his webpage:

http://www.funklogic.com

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

TimPerry

"Ben Bradley" wrote in message
In rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.marketplace , on Sat, 5 Mar
2005 13:28:27 -0500, "TimPerry" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Agent_C wrote:
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Here is a cool device from Rane:
http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

make sure to download the PDFs.

Peter

but this is a harmless (and hilarious) spoof. not true snake oil at all

I dunno about that, it looks like a blatant ripoff of the origial
Funk Logic equipment. I think there could be a lawsuit here. Check out
Mr. Logic's products on his webpage:

http://www.funklogic.com

like the Motorola "pushie talkie" (a mobile 2-way mounted to a hand truck
with auto batteries) its a lampoon intended as humor not an attempt to
defraud anyone.

heres a jar with a ball in it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5793477 &rd=1
is it worth $65,000 ?

Rich.Andrews

Steven Sullivan wrote in
:

In rec.audio.tech Paul Stamler wrote:
Some of you may be old enough to remember the "deltoid test" flap. In
the early days of digital recording, a clinical psychologist (was his
name Diamond?) claimed that digital recordings agitated his patients,
while analog recordings calmed them. He proved that by employing the
"deltoid test", borrowed from chiropractic.

Tweako amp designer Mark Levinson has been touting those 'results' for
some years now...most recently in a published
'roundtable' in The Absolute Sound. The polite silence from the other
members of the roundtable was rather telling...even TAS has its limits.

You picked up on that too? Levinson was ignored by the other members for
most of the discussion. It was really funny/sad. Levinson would say
something and it was as if he didn't exist. Now either the other
panelists couldn't stomach his wacky theories or he is such an annoying,
officious, arrogant rip-off artist that no one on the panel could stand
him. Let's face it, his rebadged cheap Chinese amp scam is pitiful.

Rich.Andrews

"scott" wrote in :

One of my personal favorites...oh yeah....these look like a good
investment...not!

Tekna Sonic C-5 BookShelf Speaker Enhancer - Pair $79.95

Even the finest speakers have cabinet vibrations that make bass notes
muddy or boomy, and distort the midrange. Now Tekna Sonic offers a
simple solution guaranteed to improve bass and midrange clarity. C-5
vibration absorbers feature an array of polymer damping plates -
selectively tuned to frequencies in the 20-1kHz range - which attach
magnetically to the back of the speaker cabinet.

This begs the qustion of how one magnetically attaches anything to a wood
cabinet.

"Dave Kowalski" wrote in message
How about those pyramid cones to isolate speakers from the mounting
surface------
I've watched proponents wax on and on about which direction to put the
point-speaker or surface...

"Agent_C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure we all have our favorite snake oil story...

Mine comes from Lyric HiFi here in New York, when they tried to sell
me little coin size metallic stickers. At $250.00 each, they
supposedly improved the sound by "dampening the field-effect
resonance" on your individual components. What??? I could hardly
contain my laughter!

Then there was the afternoon at Sound by Singer (a more appropriate
name for this rug merchant would be 'Sound by Swindler'), where he
had a customer convinced his prospective $500,000.00 system was so
precise, that one could actually distinguish between two identically
titled CD's - by the subtle differences on the pitted surface of the
disk.

I'm not even going to start sharing what salesmen have said while
trying to sell me cables...

A_C

Arny Krueger

"play on" wrote in message

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:44:27 -0500, Boris Mohar
wrote:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...=280&sku=AELEV

Nice... I especially like the cable elevators, quite reasonable at
$159.

The cheapskate alternative is telephone line insulators. I've seen and uhhh,
"heard" them in *action* ;-)

Engineer

"scott" wrote in message
One of my personal favorites...oh yeah....these look like a good
investment...not!

Tekna Sonic C-5 BookShelf Speaker Enhancer - Pair $79.95

Even the finest speakers have cabinet vibrations that make bass
notes muddy
or boomy, and distort the midrange. Now Tekna Sonic offers a simple
solution
guaranteed to improve bass and midrange clarity. C-5 vibration
absorbers
feature an array of polymer damping plates - selectively tuned to
frequencies in the 20-1kHz range - which attach magnetically to the
back of
the speaker cabinet.

Hmm... I've never heard of these things but large enough lead weights
screwed onto the mid-point of front, top and sides of cheap speakers
would definitely lower the fundamental "oil can" mode of cabinet
vibration. Of course, they would look awful... g
Solution: brace inside properly.
Cheers,
Roger

hank alrich

Rich.Andrews wrote:

This begs the qustion of how one magnetically attaches anything to a wood
cabinet.

Why do think Ironwood is so expensive?

--
ha
Kai Howells

On 2005-03-04 19:43:36 +1100, "Ricky Hunt" said:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

I think that site wins. I especially like this about the "intelligent chip":

"If left on top of the player, the Chip will not function until the
next disc to be upgraded is inserted in the player and played. If you
attempt to upgrade a disc th

Yeah, and I've heard that if you put the chip in the microwave for 30
seconds, on High, you can recharge it! Think of all the money I'll save
not having to buy more of them!

Kai Howells

On 2005-03-04 11:13:55 +1100, Mike Diack said:

And the winner is.....
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me.../merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=V OLUME&Product_Count=2

Yep, if you will spend nearly $500 on one of these, you're a stirling,
rockheaded knob... hence the product's name...

Kai Howells

C'mon man, what are you doing? There's no snake-oil whatsoever in
anything you've just written!

TimPerry

On 2005-03-05 12:02:22 +1100, said:

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/ele...of_50_ohms.htm

There are probably lots of stories about how 50 Ohms came to be.

A group of maybe half a hundred engineers were trying to decide on a
standard.

They were all looking at the same data but arriving at different results.

Finally one Englishman referring to the famous detective said:

What we need is 50 Holmes

Paul Stamler

On 2005-03-04 19:43:36 +1100, "Ricky Hunt" said:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

I think that site wins. I especially like this about the "intelligent

chip":

"If left on top of the player, the Chip will not function until the
next disc to be upgraded is inserted in the player and played. If you
attempt to upgrade a disc th

Yeah, and I've heard that if you put the chip in the microwave for 30
seconds, on High, you can recharge it! Think of all the money I'll save
not having to buy more of them!

Think of all the money you'll spend on a new magnetron for your microwave. I
believe the Intelligent Chip contains metal.

Peace,
Paul

Chad Wahls

On 2005-03-04 19:43:36 +1100, "Ricky Hunt" said:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
The most outrageous and shameless
snake-oil site I've been pointed to recently is:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

I think that site wins. I especially like this about the "intelligent

chip":

"If left on top of the player, the Chip will not function until the
next disc to be upgraded is inserted in the player and played. If you
attempt to upgrade a disc th

Yeah, and I've heard that if you put the chip in the microwave for 30
seconds, on High, you can recharge it! Think of all the money I'll save
not having to buy more of them!

Think of all the money you'll spend on a new magnetron for your microwave.
believe the Intelligent Chip contains metal.

Peace,
Paul

I've put lots of stuff in a microwave and never had to buy a new magnetron,
then again it was not going to be my microwave for........ Better stop now

Chad

Barry Mann

In , on 03/05/05
at 09:33 PM, Steven Sullivan said:

lordy, it never ends..

http://www.soundstage.com/weaver04.htm

(I've read tthat the green pen tweaks started as an online hoax....
taken as truth by some gullible audiophile...and the rest is history.
I haven't been able to trace the story back
far enough to verify that)

Yes, I was there (on Compuserve). I wouldn't call it a hoax, just a
joke. We were having some fun. I keep thinking that I can locate the
thread on some old 8" floppies, but I never seem to find the time to go
through them. As I recall, we cooked up the claims one December and
products started arriving on the market in January.

What a classic! It had a simple story that was just complex enough that
it seemed plausable. When green magic marker types came around, they
didn't want to listen to any explainations of why the concept was
silly. If you couldn't hear the improvement .. er... well you were deaf
and stupid. I even pointed out that, in order to interact with that
green coating, the light must first leave the disk ... do you think the
light is ever comming back? At that point they usually left because
they couldn't stand my stupidity any longer.

----

Another of my favorites was a cryogenic process that claims to improve
the sound of CD's. You were supposed to send your CD's, they'd be
frozen in liquid nitrogen for a while, and you'd notice an improvement
in the sound. I asked them if they could show me some error flag data,
but of course they could not.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Barry Mann

In , on 03/06/05
at 01:25 PM, "Rich.Andrews" said:

Steven Sullivan wrote in
:

[...]

He came to our store one morning to personally give us a demo and try
to convince us to carry his product. It was the worst demonstration I
have ever endured.