Steven Sullivan

Default SACD Digital Interface?

In rec.audio.tech Kalman Rubinson wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 05:03:30 -0600, "Rusty Boudreaux"
wrote:

I agree, but that seems to be the state of affairs (copy
protection). There are only a handful of expensive players that
have a digital audio out (IEEE 1394/firewire) and they have
proprietary interfaces with the same vendors' expensive
receivers.

Already changing. The iLink on the Sony player is compatible
with the IEEE port on the Denon and others.

I have read reports that the iLink works between Sony and Pioneer, but
not Denon.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.tech Anthony Preston wrote:
Randy,

Check out the new SONY SCD-XA9000ES. It has an iLink (ieee1394/Firewire)
interface for digital tranfer to the new Sony STR-DA9000ES digital amp.

The only issue with this link is that it is encrypted using DTLA copy
protection technology. (just lookup firewire copy protection on google to
find out what this means)

If you find a device that can talk to it, let us all know!

see

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...#po st3014504

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

Kalman Rubinson

wrote:

I agree, but that seems to be the state of affairs (copy
protection). There are only a handful of expensive players that
have a digital audio out (IEEE 1394/firewire) and they have
proprietary interfaces with the same vendors' expensive
receivers.

Already changing. The iLink on the Sony player is compatible
with the IEEE port on the Denon and others.

I have read reports that the iLink works between Sony and Pioneer, but
not Denon.

At a recent Denon press conference, they said that there were 'issues'
involved that had nothing to do with the equipment and that they could
activate the iLink as soon as those issues were resolved.

Kal

Randy Yates

Glenn Zelniker wrote:

Randy Yates wrote:

Why hogtie the
converter
to the transport? Oh, yeah! I get it - we get to sell more players
that way...

Randy,

I'd like your take on how this helps sell more players. I'm not sure I
get it.

Hi Glenn,

If I buy an SACD player that doesn't provide a digital output, so that I am
forced to use the DSD/A conversion technology embedded in the player, and two
years down the road some fancy new DSD conversion technology comes along, I'd have
to buy a whole new player to utilize it. If the player had digital outs, then
at least one could keep it as a transport and buy a new outboard DSD/A converter
with the new technology.

If players keep coming down in price, this quickly becomes a very small problem.
--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side

Matt Timmermans

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
nk.net...
Matt Timmermans wrote:
Wouldn't that be nice... you could just send it through a saturating

power
amp and a passive filter to the speaker.

Seriously, Matt, you act like this is a silly question. Why would it be?

Isn't
that kinda the idea of SACD - let the latest technology decide what's the

best
way to downconvert the delta sigma modulator output? Why hogtie the

converter
to the transport? Oh, yeah! I get it - we get to sell more players that

way...

I didn't mean it as a silly question. It seems perfectly reasonable to me,
and I find it really annoying that SACD players wouldn't provide a simple
digital stream to make it easy.

Randy Yates

Anthony Preston wrote:

Randy,

Check out the new SONY SCD-XA9000ES. It has an iLink (ieee1394/Firewire)
interface for digital tranfer to the new Sony STR-DA9000ES digital amp.

The only issue with this link is that it is encrypted using DTLA copy
protection technology. (just lookup firewire copy protection on google to
find out what this means)

If you find a device that can talk to it, let us all know!

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the info! I'm wondering, though, does this iLink interface
actually transfer the DSD stream or is it a preconverted (i.e., digitally
decimated) linear PCM stream?

-Randy

--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side
%%% 919-577-9882 % the coin will fall."
%%%% % 'Big Wheels', *Out of the Blue*, ELO
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr

Randy Yates

Randy Yates wrote:

Do SACD players have a DSD digital output so that the conversion to
analog could be done externally? If so, is this interface documented
anywhere?

Hello Everyone,

I just want to say thanks to all who have responded. Apparently this
subject was timely and it's GREAT to see such a flurry of information
and interaction.

This is what usenet is all about! Thanks again!
--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side
%%% 919-577-9882 % the coin will fall."
%%%% % 'Big Wheels', *Out of the Blue*, ELO
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr

Anthony Preston

Thanks Steve for the link.

One hell of a long story!

For the two manufactures devices to work together they must share a common
encryption system or know of each others "keys"

How long do you think it will take someone to crack a "key" and then set up
a firewire PC card to at as a reciever and start ripping SACD????

There is already articles on the net about cracking the HDMI protection for
HDTV's and source devices.

Time will only tell!

"Anthony Preston" wrote in message
[...]

Bernt

"Anthony Preston" wrote in message
How long do you think it will take someone to crack a "key" and then set

up
a firewire PC card to at as a reciever and start ripping SACD????

It appears to be here already: A circuit that decodes multichannel DVD and
SACD and deliveres PCM through 3x 2 channel S/PDIF at : www.dvdupgrades.ch/

regards,

Bernt

Anthony Preston

Thanks Bernt!

I was really hoping to see someone with a PC & firewire card and some
software acting like a reciever, not by passing the whole firewire
encryption scheme.

Well you can only wish!

"Bernt" wrote in message

"Anthony Preston" wrote in message
How long do you think it will take someone to crack a "key" and then set

up
a firewire PC card to at as a reciever and start ripping SACD????

It appears to be here already: A circuit that decodes multichannel DVD and
SACD and deliveres PCM through 3x 2 channel S/PDIF at :

www.dvdupgrades.ch/

regards,

Bernt

Charles Tomaras

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
The Pioneer Elite 49TXi AVR and 47ai player have had firewire digital
interface fora few years now, that could pass and receive
SACD and DVD-A. Three of the current Pioneer Elite AVRs, and one recent

Sony,
have Firewire jacks, and from what I've read on the AVSforum,
the Pios and the Sony will 'talk ' to each other. However,
reportedly the Denon won't.

The Pioneer converts DSD to PCM before going through firewire. I spoke with
the Denon folks at CES on Friday and they claim they have a pending
agreement with Sony so they can use their proprietary Denon Digital Link
interface for unconverted DSD transfer soon. That is an existing and
different interface from the Firewire on thier new DVD 5900. The DVD 2900
and 5900 both have Denon Digital Link on them which connects to the Digital
Link interface on thier 5800 and 5803 receivers.

Charles Tomaras

Matt Timmermans wrote:
Wouldn't that be nice... you could just send it through a saturating

power
amp and a passive filter to the speaker.

Seriously, Matt, you act like this is a silly question. Why would it be?

Isn't
that kinda the idea of SACD - let the latest technology decide what's

the
best
way to downconvert the delta sigma modulator output? Why hogtie the

converter
to the transport? Oh, yeah! I get it - we get to sell more players that

way...

I didn't mean it as a silly question. It seems perfectly reasonable to me,
and I find it really annoying that SACD players wouldn't provide a simple
digital stream to make it easy.

What kind of digital stream are you looking for? If your receiver doesn't
have the ability to decode a DSD bitstream then you will have to have some
additional converter to convert from DSD to PCM which is what most of the
receivers out there deal with for digital. The higher end Denons have actual
DSD converters in them.

Charles Tomaras

"Anthony Preston" wrote in message
Thanks Steve for the link.

One hell of a long story!

For the two manufactures devices to work together they must share a common
encryption system or know of each others "keys"

How long do you think it will take someone to crack a "key" and then set

up
a firewire PC card to at as a reciever and start ripping SACD????

There is already articles on the net about cracking the HDMI protection

for
HDTV's and source devices.

Time will only tell!

As it's been mentioned before, you need DSD converters to convert DSD. I
don't know of any firewire PC cards or PC software that will accomplish
this.