Simon Byrnand

Default When did the dual-woofer trend catch on?

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...
Kalman Rubinson
wrote:

...snip to content ......

Do two 6" drivers have the same bass output as a single
12", but with greater control, and thus more accuracy?

Its a question of the total cone area assuming adequate driving
motors.

Two 8-inch drivers generally approximate the piston area of a 12-inch drivers.
A pair of 6 or 6.5-inch drivers approximat the piston area of a single 10-inch.

Well, not exactly.

A couple of 8" woofers and 12" woofers I have which are fairly
representitive of how much actual cone area you get from a nominal
frame size give the following figures:

8" driver - actual cone diameter 16.5cm, so Sd = 213 cm^2.
12" driver - actual cone diameter 25cm, so Sd = 490 cm^2.

So in this case it takes 2.3 8" woofers to equal 1 12" woofer, and
thats not taking into acount differences in Xmax etc...

But there's more to it than cone area because Vd also depends on the Xmax
(excursion) of the drivers as well which is a function of both motor and
suspension stroke. Generally speaking, the geometry of a larger basket
typically comes with a bigger motor and more suspension excursion.

Yep, a point frequently overlooked. Also the fact that a 12" woofer in
general is just plain built tougher and more rugged, including the
suspension, and the voice coil etc...

Other factors forgotten in the surface area comparision is the size of
the magnets, and the Fs of the driver.

Getting a low Fs is much harder with a smaller driver because the
cones are so much lighter. Now you have your moving mass seperated
into multiple drivers, EACH of which needs to try and obtain a low Fs
rather than the total moving mass being concentrated in one driver and
providing ONE low Fs.

Equivilent surface area isn't much use if the resulting Fs is 20Hz
higher

So depending on the particular application a pair of 6-inch drivers may
approximate the displacement of a single 10-inch but there's a fair amount of
units that fall somewhat short of that capability.

As mentioned better directivity control and thinner cabinets are the main
advantages.

Assuming that you believe that a narrower cabinet gives "better"
directivity control, a moot point which is open for debate.

What is "better" in this context ? In my opinion, "better" is not as
wide a dispersion as possible at high frequencies, but rather trying
as much as possible to obtain a constant directivity from 200Hz or so
up, something which is worse on a narrow baffle, not better.

In the former case the possibility of staggering the operating
ranges of multiple drivers and having one positioned close to the floor help
control the 200-300 Hz "floor bounce" common to tower style speakers.

Or, you could just do it properly and have a 3 way system with a 12"
woofer close to the floor operating up to 300Hz, and not have floor
bounce issues at all

Two small, highly positioned woofers are still going to give floor
bounce problems, but now you have a couple of moderate dips at two
frequencies, instead of one humngous notch at one frequency....neither
very satisfactory outcomes...

The only way to (almost completely) eliminate floor bounce
cancellation is to have the woofer relatively close to the floor, and
relatively large, to maximize the height differential between the
floor and the top and bottom extremes of the woofer...

Regards,
Simon
Nousaine

(Simon Byrnand) wrote:

(Nousaine) wrote in message
Kalman Rubinson
wrote:

[...]

I also conducted an experiment where I used 8,10,12 and 15-inch drivers of a
given line of woofers. In this case the SPL capabilities were improved by 50%
with each increment in nominal basket size. While Vd increased by 50% with a
step up in basket a good share of the improvement came from increased Xmax that
can be garnered with larger baskets.

[...]

That depends on other system factors as well.

So depending on the particular application a pair of 6-inch drivers may
approximate the displacement of a single 10-inch but there's a fair amount

of
units that fall somewhat short of that capability.

As mentioned better directivity control and thinner cabinets are the main
advantages.

Assuming that you believe that a narrower cabinet gives "better"
directivity control, a moot point which is open for debate.

What is "better" in this context ? In my opinion, "better" is not as
wide a dispersion as possible at high frequencies, but rather trying
as much as possible to obtain a constant directivity from 200Hz or so
up, something which is worse on a narrow baffle, not better.

I was referring to directivity matching near the upper crossover frequency. A
6.5-inch speaker has directivity more closely matched to a midrange or tweeter
near the crossover frequency that an 8,10 or 12-inch driver.

In the former case the possibility of staggering the operating
ranges of multiple drivers and having one positioned close to the floor

help
control the 200-300 Hz "floor bounce" common to tower style speakers.

Or, you could just do it properly and have a 3 way system with a 12"
woofer close to the floor operating up to 300Hz, and not have floor
bounce issues at all

Two small, highly positioned woofers are still going to give floor
bounce problems, but now you have a couple of moderate dips at two
frequencies, instead of one humngous notch at one frequency....neither
very satisfactory outcomes...

That, again is dependent on the given design. I wasn't advocating anything only
suggesting why certain topologies gain favor.

The only way to (almost completely) eliminate floor bounce
cancellation is to have the woofer relatively close to the floor, and
relatively large, to maximize the height differential between the
floor and the top and bottom extremes of the woofer...

Regards,
Simon

This is a good discussion. If there's anything we haven't covered I'd hope
someone would question that.