gwhite

Default [Ohms Law] Watts and Impedance?

John Fields wrote:

It's not likely they've got a DC to DC
converter in there to boost the supply voltage, ...

For almost any aftermarket amp, it's unlikely the amp _doesn't_ have a DC-DC
converter these days. The no-converter amps seemed to have disappeared from the
marketplace ("new" that is). Too bad for the AM radio since some DC-DC
convertors are so crappy they jam the AM.

gwhite

chung wrote:

John Fields wrote:

---
Without using a bridging configuration, the maximum power you can
dissipate in an 8 ohm load from a 14.4VDC source is

(14.4V/sqrt(2))²/8 ~ 13W

Actually, the maximum power you can dissipate in an 8-ohm load from a
14.4 VDC source is simply 14.4**2/8 = 26 W !

This is at DC though, of course.

If could produce that 26 W too it was a bridged amp reproducing a rectangular
wave, which is "AC." John likes sine waves, so he gets a little less power.

John Fields

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 19:55:27 -0800, gwhite
wrote:

John Fields wrote:

It's not likely they've got a DC to DC
converter in there to boost the supply voltage, ...

For almost any aftermarket amp, it's unlikely the amp _doesn't_ have a DC-DC
converter these days. The no-converter amps seemed to have disappeared from the
marketplace ("new" that is). Too bad for the AM radio since some DC-DC
convertors are so crappy they jam the AM.

---
I stand corrected. Thanks!

--
John Fields

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 10:29:09 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

Consider a car system. 12v into 4 ohms will pass a maximum of 3 amps.
Watts = volts x amps. So the maximum theoretical power is....well,
you do the math :-)

---
No, _you_ do the math, you snotty little ****.

Why get abusive? Rude man.

John Fields

wrote:

Consider a car system. 12v into 4 ohms will pass a maximum of 3 amps.
Watts = volts x amps. So the maximum theoretical power is....well,
you do the math :-)

---
No, _you_ do the math, you snotty little ****.

Why get abusive? Rude man.

---
That's how I get when I'm confronted by self-important, smartass little
pricks like you.

You think that you can just glibly get away with throwing barbs around
as you please and have everyone take your ****? I, for one, won't, and
there's not a goddam thing you can do about it. If you want it to stop,
knock off the ****ing attitude.

--
John Fields

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:52:17 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

That's how I get when I'm confronted by self-important, smartass little
pricks like you.

You think that you can just glibly get away with throwing barbs around
as you please and have everyone take your ****? I, for one, won't, and
there's not a goddam thing you can do about it. If you want it to stop,
knock off the ****ing attitude.

"You do the math" wasn't intended as a barb.

You're still a nasty rude man.

John Fields

wrote:

That's how I get when I'm confronted by self-important, smartass little
pricks like you.

You think that you can just glibly get away with throwing barbs around
as you please and have everyone take your ****? I, for one, won't, and
there's not a goddam thing you can do about it. If you want it to stop,
knock off the ****ing attitude.

"You do the math" wasn't intended as a barb.

---
Who said it was...?

What is was was a flippant attempt at condescension. Funny part is, we
were talking audio and your:

"Consider a car system. 12v into 4 ohms will pass a maximum of 3 amps.
Watts = volts x amps. So the maximum theoretical power is....well,
you do the math :-)"

is considering 12 volts _DC_ into 4 ohms, not 12VPP, so on top of it
all, you're basically stupid.

You're still a nasty rude man.

---
I am when I choose to be, moron, but you're stupid whether you want to
be or not!

--
John Fields

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:23:27 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

Who said it was...?

What is was was a flippant attempt at condescension. Funny part is, we
were talking audio and your:

"Consider a car system. 12v into 4 ohms will pass a maximum of 3 amps.
Watts = volts x amps. So the maximum theoretical power is....well,
you do the math :-)"

is considering 12 volts _DC_ into 4 ohms, not 12VPP, so on top of it
all, you're basically stupid.

You're still a nasty rude man.

---
I am when I choose to be, moron, but you're stupid whether you want to
be or not!

Shall I coax you into showing yourself up even more? Maybe :-)

John Fields

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:55:36 +0000, Laurence Payne
wrote:

Shall I coax you into showing yourself up even more? Maybe :-)

---
Probably the best thing for you to do would be to shut up before you get
yourself into a mess from which you won't be able to extricate yourself.

--
John Fields