Sleepgolfer

Default mixing double bass, kick & el. bass

Are there any guidelines as to how to set up my EQs while mixing kick
drum, el. bass and orchestral double bass string parts. I can handle the
kick and the bass just fine, but the double bass is a bit tricky. I
don't want it to lose its power when I reduce some of its frequencies
but at the same time it shouldn't colide with the kick and the
bass...Any tips? What are the characteristic frequencies of the double
bass strings and that kind of stuff?
Mike Caffrey

Sleepgolfer wrote in message ...
Are there any guidelines as to how to set up my EQs while mixing kick
drum, el. bass and orchestral double bass string parts. I can handle the
kick and the bass just fine, but the double bass is a bit tricky. I
don't want it to lose its power when I reduce some of its frequencies
but at the same time it shouldn't colide with the kick and the
bass...Any tips? What are the characteristic frequencies of the double
bass strings and that kind of stuff?

It's hard to say without hearing the style of music, but I'd chose one
as a focus and the other as a supporting layer and not try for an even
balance. Also, you'd be surprised how much low end you can cut from an
acoustic bass without destorying the tone.
knud

This is ridiculous. You need to address how these parts will coincide at
the arrangement level, rather than trying to fix akwardness at the mix level.

Are the parts playing in unison? mix them as if they are one part. Are
they playing different busy parts in a low register? Then pick up some music
theory and arrangement books and learn why this is a bad idea. The exception to
that is if you are doing special techniques to allow both parts room, such as
holding a pedal point in one while having the other play the moving part higher
up.

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:53:41 +0200, Sleepgolfer
wrote:

Are there any guidelines as to how to set up my EQs while mixing kick
drum, el. bass and orchestral double bass string parts. I can handle the
kick and the bass just fine, but the double bass is a bit tricky. I
don't want it to lose its power when I reduce some of its frequencies
but at the same time it shouldn't colide with the kick and the
bass...Any tips? What are the characteristic frequencies of the double
bass strings and that kind of stuff?

If they're fighting, drop one or more of them out of the arrangement.
Or tell the players to listen to each other and balance.

mixing drums Josh Brown Pro Audio 10 June 10th 04 11:06 AM
Bass Guitar Ducked under Kick Edvard Puskaric Pro Audio 2 October 3rd 03 05:38 PM
advice on >30hz bass on track Robba T Pro Audio 44 September 8th 03 02:47 AM
FS: John Entwhistle's guitar / bass string collection funky junk Marketplace 0 August 19th 03 02:59 PM
kick and bass too similar in frequency. Don't know how to differentiate the 2 David Pro Audio 10 August 6th 03 02:29 PM