fronobulax

Default Bose 901 Review

The 901 was not Amar's first effort. When I worked at "The Mountain"
(actually landfill, now *there's* a metaphor for you) back in 1978, I
would often walk by the "museum", a room with early Bose efforts and a
wall of glass. The first Bose speakers were one-eigth sperical gizmos
designed to fit into a corner. They looked a bit like they were geodesic
with a small full-range driver on each facet. I can't remember the model
number. Weird.

I didnt last there very long. I was young and outspoken. And an
audiophile. I think that's what did it.

Peter Hansen

Kalman Rubinson

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 02:45:44 GMT, fronobulax
wrote:

The 901 was not Amar's first effort. When I worked at "The Mountain"
(actually landfill, now *there's* a metaphor for you) back in 1978, I
would often walk by the "museum", a room with early Bose efforts and a
wall of glass. The first Bose speakers were one-eigth sperical gizmos
designed to fit into a corner. They looked a bit like they were geodesic
with a small full-range driver on each facet. I can't remember the model
number. Weird.

I vaguely recall something like 2201, 2401 or some similar number. I
also recall it being demonstrated at a New York hi-fi show back in the
70s and being intrigued by the technical blather but disappointed in
the sound.

Kal
Phil Allison

"Peter Sammon"

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame29.html

;-))

** QED.

......... Phil

William Sommerwerck

The 901 was not Amar's first effort. When I worked at "The Mountain"
(actually landfill, now *there's* a metaphor for you) back in 1978, I
would often walk by the "museum", a room with early Bose efforts and a
wall of glass. The first Bose speakers were one-eigth sperical gizmos
designed to fit into a corner. They looked a bit like they were geodesic
with a small full-range driver on each facet. I can't remember the model
number. Weird.

It was the 2201 and I mentioned it in a previous post. It's an interesting idea
that perhaps deserves further research with high-quality drivers.

I didnt last there very long. I was young and outspoken. And an
audiophile. I think that's what did it.

You can't speak truth to power.

Why has no one pointed out that, in German, böse means "evil"?

Scott Dorsey

wrote:

The 901 was not Amar's first effort. When I worked at "The Mountain"
(actually landfill, now *there's* a metaphor for you) back in 1978, I
would often walk by the "museum", a room with early Bose efforts and a
wall of glass. The first Bose speakers were one-eigth sperical gizmos
designed to fit into a corner. They looked a bit like they were geodesic
with a small full-range driver on each facet. I can't remember the model
number. Weird.

I vaguely recall something like 2201, 2401 or some similar number. I
also recall it being demonstrated at a New York hi-fi show back in the
70s and being intrigued by the technical blather but disappointed in
the sound.

It wasn't an original idea either. A lot of folks have built omnidirectional
radiators like this... I think Bruel and Kjaer made a popular one intended for
acoustical measurements. None of them sound very good, because even a real
omnidirectional radiator is a poor choice for playback in a real room, and
poor real-world approximations are considerably worse.
--scott

Kal

Batholomew Jojo

Peter Sammon wrote:
Dr. Amar G. Bose is Chairman of the Board and Technical Director of the
Bose Corporation

True. And despite what was written in an earlier post,
he is no marketing genius. He has virtually nothing to
do with marketing. He's an executive, and yes, still
involved in engineering.

and Professor of Electrical Engineering at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

Nope. Resigned well over a year ago. A perfesser no more.

The Bose Corporation currently designs and manufacturers some of the most
sophisticated

Now that's a stretch.

and highly regarded

Maybe by deaf old neo-fascist coots like Paul Harvey.

The Bose name is synonymous with quality sound

Now that's some ripe and aromatic bovine fertilizer.
Pure fiction!

and is known for its lifelike sound

Only while Paul Harvey is still lifelike.

and dependability.

.... except maybe for those power caps in the car amplifiers,
or the 402's that were top heavy and fell over on children,
or all those disintegrated surrounds. Or the "DVD" players
that didn't even have any DVD electronics in the CD drive.

Et cetera.

Batholomew Jojo

fronobulax wrote:

The 901 was not Amar's first effort. When I worked at "The Mountain"
(actually landfill, now *there's* a metaphor for you)

Another urban legend. It's actually been cut down, not built
up. It was originally much taller than it is now. It's a
fairly isolated hill, and with it's original pointy top,
it did sort of look like a mountain when it was named "The
Mountain" by English settler in the 1600's. Now it's more
broad and flat shaped, with a lot of level acreage at the top.

Both the Bose jockers and the Bose bashers seem to be full
of what might be politely called "speculative fiction."

Prometheus

Mr. Sammon, dude, go out and listen to some live music for awhile.

"Peter Sammon" wrote in message
"Geoff Wood" -nospam wrote in news:rpBUb.21086
:

Peter Sammon wrote:
http://www.epinions.com/content_105506836100

In 1968, I took an old Philco record player and turned it into my
first hifi record player by installing a Shure M3D stereo magnetic

Which planet are you from. Or which universe more like it.

Nice try, Amar, but we still don't belive that the 901 is anything but

gimmick, and a crappy-ounding one at that. ....

Dr. Amar G. Bose is Chairman of the Board and Technical Director of the
Bose Corporation and Professor of Electrical Engineering at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He was born in Philadelphia
in 1929, and received his bachelor, master and doctoral degrees from MIT
in the mid-50s. In 1956, Dr. Bose began research into physical acoustics
and psychoacoustics: the study of human perception of sound.

Bose's studies at the Institute led to numerous patents in the fields of
acoustics, electronics, nonlinear systems, and communication theory, as
well as the founding of the Bose Corporation in 1964.

After initially questioning why loudspeakers with advanced technical
specifications failed to reproduce the realism of a live performance, Dr.
Bose began his 12-year study of speaker design and psychoacoustics. The
Bose Corporation introduced the Bose 901 Sound System, which set a new
standard for sound quality and promptly received worldwide acclaim.

The Bose Corporation currently designs and manufacturers some of the most
sophisticated and highly regarded audio products in the world-including
the Bose Wave® Radio. The Bose name is synonymous with quality sound and
is known for its lifelike sound and dependability.

Dr. Amar G. Bose was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 2000.

Prometheus

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

"Peter Sammon"

As any true audiophile knows it's the sound that counts and companies
such as Bose incorporate the latest research. There have been
advancements in audio that you are obviously not aware of. Many of the
Bose models incorporate these advancements.

It's not religion, it's appreciation of engineering, audio and live
music.

** Who agrees this Sammon dude is some kind of bot ??

So whats in it for him? Being a proponent for Bose cannot pay that much
and I hope he must be lonlely since he is the only person on Usenet
advocating these products.

Prometheus

troll

"Peter Sammon" wrote in message
"Tim Williams" wrote in news:1027nfhh3o9q8c1
@corp.supernews.com:

So why the hell is it here on RAT.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

"Peter Sammon" wrote in message
http://www.epinions.com/content_105506836100

In 1968...snip huge nef

It's a well known engineering fact that audiophile quality speakers such

as
the 901s work well on tube amplifiers.

Cheers!

Phil Allison

"Prometheus"

"Phil Allison"

** Who agrees this Sammon dude is some kind of bot ??

So whats in it for him?

** Same as for any troll - there is fun in making mischief.

............ Phil

Mark

After initially questioning why loudspeakers with advanced technical
specifications failed to reproduce the realism of a live performance, Dr.
Bose began his 12-year study of speaker design and psychoacoustics.

The problem (or delusion) is that the 901's DO NOT reproduce the
ambience of the RECORDING--they REPLACE it with their own. They are
patently incapable of recreating a palpable soundstage. That being
said--they are pretty good club speakers where the space is small and
would be overloaded by huge stacks of drivers. You know--a banquet
hall or the highschool dance. Of course a savvy DJ probably wouldn't
spend $1500 for plastic boxes loaded with auto-door speakers.

Now who wants to talk about the thrift in spending hundreds for a
plastic table radio?
Phil Allison

"Scott Dorsey"

It wasn't an original idea either. A lot of folks have built

omnidirectional
radiators like this... I think Bruel and Kjaer made a popular one intended

for
acoustical measurements. None of them sound very good, because even a

real
omnidirectional radiator is a poor choice for playback in a real room, and
poor real-world approximations are considerably worse.

** Remember Stig Carlsson and his colourful Sonab speakers ??

A trendy Swedish competitor to Bose in the 1970s - cheaper, no
equaliser, no mega amp needed.

Stereo anywhere in the room - even with mono sources !

.......... Phil

Mark D. Zacharias

Default Bose Comment. Prev was Bose 901 Review

One complimentary thing I must say about Bose. At least they make enough
money that they still have actual people working there, answering the
phones, repairing equipment (at a fair price, too!) providing tech support,
etc.
My every dealing with the company itself has ended satisfactorily. Not so
with Denon, Marantz, Sony and others I deal with on a regular basis. It's
such a competitive business, with such slim margins, that there's a constant
wave of layoffs, forced retirements etc. Broken promises, people dropping
the ball, voice - and E-mails never returned, incompetent service etc are
the rule these days. Bose is a very pleasant exception to this trend.
Now if their speakers only sounded good!

Mark Z.

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger"
"Phil Allison"

There is no significant "lobing and comb-filter effects" with a
driver array that is **NOT** facing the listener - compared with
one that is.

In most cases the back drivers on a 901 are facing a smooth wall.
Lobes bounced off a wall are still lobes.

** The lobes are spread way out by the off angle reflection and
lost to the listener. A listener seated in the usual central position

could not detect
them.

Furthermore, there are those oddities where the array has a critical
distance,

** Define your terms, please.

I've cited this paper once already, and it's clear that there aren't a

lot
of people on this thread who have actually even glanced at it:

** Being pompous and quoting absent documents does you no credit.

Author(s): Keele, Jr., D. B. Publication: JAES Volume 38 Number 10 pp.
723·748; October 1990.

Well, not everybody has the kind of library I have at my disposal.

Sadly,
can't find any online references with enough detail. The "critical

distance"
w/r/t to an array of speakers is the point where the sound from the

array
drivers starts to fuse into a single pattern.

** Which makes your original "oddities" remark even more mysterious.

This affects 89% of the sound coming out of a 901, if Bose is to be
believed.

** The "Hass" effect plus the extra proximity and brighter sound of
the forward facing driver normally makes it the apparent source for a
centrally positioned listener.

Already considered. Since I've been doing SR quite a bit I've learned to
love the Haas effect and figuratively take it to the bank every

opportunity.
However, Haas Effect fusion is not perfect - there is some perception

of
added fullness or fuzziness, depending on the individual perceptions.

The other rear facing ones will produce a delayed and duller sound
- depending on the nature of the walls, distance away and their
coefficient of absorption at various frequencies. If the walls are
far away and acoustically dead then the forward facing driver
dominates strongly.

Agreed that if the back wall is dead than much of what the back speakers

do
is moot. However, most architectural features are not good absorbers

below
1
KHz, less below 500 Hz, and very few below 200 Hz. Since all drivers in

the
901 are supposedly full-range...

** You say there is significant lobing going on at or below 500 Hz from

an
array of 4 inch drivers ??

Below 500 Hz 901s pretty soon become non directional - providing there

is
actually a wall behind them.

The "lobing ... effects" are only going to be audible if the
listener moves their head in the direct field where the lobes exist
- ie behind the 901.

Or as I've said once and feel somewhat put-upon to have to repeat - the
lobes will exist in front of the 901s if the walls are good reflectors.

** Keep repeating the dubious claim - it gets more convincing every

time
you know. You need to show these alleged lobes are actually audible to a
listener seated in the central position on *music* programme.

The "...comb-filter effects" are audible where rear wall proximity
and reflection of sound creates them - it is not due to the way the
drivers are arrayed.

I've cited this paper once already, and it's clear that there aren't a

lot
of people on this thread who have actually even glanced at it:

** Quoting the absent expert is a debating cheat - Arny.

You have seen my 10 cheats list.

IME both the 901 and 802 suffer from *gross* IM and Doppler
distortion at high SPL levels - nauseatingly so to my ears.

Well, that too. I think we're now agreeing about one of my earlier

points
about how many small drivers it takes to equal a larger one.

** The comparison fails since the Bose 901 has falling output below 300Hz
without its equaliser. Early 901s ( there are at least 12 distinct
versions) used a sealed box with the drivers operating below resonance.

The
equaliser added up to 15 dB boost ( 31 times power) at low frequencies to
compensate. The excursion limit of those drivers was *very soon* exceeded
if an amp of any size ( PL700s were popular !) were being used.

A good 10 inch driver has about the same cone area as the 9 used in

the
Bose 901. Mounted in a tuned box somewhat bigger than a 901 it could equal
the 901's SPL at low frequencies with 31 times LESS power input and hence
massively reduced THD. Allow that 10 inch to be accompanied by a mid and
treble drivers and IM is reduced to nil as well.

I well remember a demo session with 901s and a PL700 in 1977 - every

time
the bass drum thumped there was a distinct crack from the 901s and the

mids
and tops went on a short holiday. The only surprising thing was that the
owner thought this sounded great and pushed the PL700 right up to

clipping.

I left the room suffering from nausea after 10 minutes - just the sight

of
a 901 induces that feeling now.

............ Phil

Phil Allison

"Mark D. Zacharias"

One complimentary thing I must say about Bose.

** Why ****ing top pot this tripe on one of my posts ?????

Are you some kind of cuckoo ?

........... Phil

William Sommerwerck

Now who wants to talk about the thrift in spending hundreds for a
plastic table radio?

Nothing wrong with that -- if the radio actually delivered high quality for its
price.

It doesn't. It doesn't even come close.

Daniel Fuchs

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Why has no one pointed out that, in German, böse means "evil"?

Because it's irrelevant. Bose is a common Bengali family name. Nothing
german about that.

Daniel
William Sommerwerck

William Sommerwerck wrote:

Why has no one pointed out that, in German, böse means "evil"?

Because it's irrelevant. Bose is a common Bengali family name.
Nothing German about that.

Amusing coincidences are never irrelevant.

Don

In article , says...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
. au...

"Peter Sammon"

As any true audiophile knows it's the sound that counts and companies
such as Bose incorporate the latest research. There have been
advancements in audio that you are obviously not aware of. Many of the
Bose models incorporate these advancements.

It's not religion, it's appreciation of engineering, audio and live
music.

** Who agrees this Sammon dude is some kind of bot ??

So whats in it for him? Being a proponent for Bose cannot pay that much
and I hope he must be lonlely since he is the only person on Usenet
advocating these products.

The more people that click on an epinion link, the more eroyalties he gets.
These may be converted into cash, I suppose.

Eroyalties. If you are 18 or older, you may accrue Eroyalties. Regardless of
your Eroyalties balance on the site, all Eroyalties are subject to our
verification and approval. Among other reasons, we may disapprove Eroyalties
if your account terminates or is suspended or if we suspect fraud. Thus, you
should not consider Eroyalties "earned" until we have approved your redemption
request for payment. All redemptions will need to comply with applicable
redemption and validation policies (such as when you can redeem and how often,
minimum redemption amount, any redemption fees and any geographical
restrictions). Eroyalties are not transferable; we will issue checks only in
the accountholder's name. We are not responsible for fraudulently redeemed
Eroyalties if the redeemer presents your password. You are solely responsible
for paying any taxes on your Eroyalties.

Rob Adelman

Phil Allison wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias"

One complimentary thing I must say about Bose.

** Why ****ing top pot this tripe on one of my posts ?????

Are you some kind of cuckoo ?

Wow! Tough room...

George

In article ,
Rob Adelman wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias"

One complimentary thing I must say about Bose.

** Why ****ing top pot this tripe on one of my posts ?????

Are you some kind of cuckoo ?

Wow! Tough room...

Not really Ron
Phil is just a psychopath
nobody responds to him at aapls anymore so he has come trolling for
others to annoy
George
fronobulax

Phil Allison wrote:

** Remember Stig Carlsson and his colourful Sonab speakers ??

A trendy Swedish competitor to Bose in the 1970s - cheaper, no
equaliser, no mega amp needed.

Stereo anywhere in the room - even with mono sources !

......... Phil

I worked for a dealer that sold Sonab speakers. I rather liked them.
Later on at AEI (Audio Engineering International), I was playing with
passive radiators and I took our Evolution II 8" 2-way PR test mules and
laid them on their backs elevated off the floor with a few bricks and I
added an Audax super tweeter which I mounted on the front (now top) of
the cabinet a la Sonab. These sounded quite nice as I remember.

Peter Hansen

fronobulax

Batholomew Jojo wrote:

Another urban legend. It's actually been cut down, not built
up. It was originally much taller than it is now. It's a
fairly isolated hill, and with it's original pointy top,
it did sort of look like a mountain when it was named "The
Mountain" by English settler in the 1600's. Now it's more
broad and flat shaped, with a lot of level acreage at the top.

Both the Bose jockers and the Bose bashers seem to be full
of what might be politely called "speculative fiction."

I stand corrected.

Peter Hansen

Roger Christie

"Peter Sammon" wrote in message
"Tim Williams" wrote in news:1027nfhh3o9q8c1
@corp.supernews.com:

So why the hell is it here on RAT.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

"Peter Sammon" wrote in message
http://www.epinions.com/content_105506836100

In 1968...snip huge nef

It's a well known engineering fact that audiophile quality speakers such

as
the 901s work well on tube amplifiers.

Don't you mean -audiophobe-?

Phil Allison

"George"

Not really Ron
Phil is just a psychopath
nobody responds to him at aapls anymore so he has come trolling for
others to annoy
George

** George Gleason is a pig ignorant cowboy - with a PA system for hire.

He has permanent **** on his boots from doing rodeos.

He has no intelligence whatever.

He is the self appointed leader of many NG lunch mobs.

Get my drift ?

.......... Phil

Rob Adelman

Phil Allison wrote:

He has no intelligence whatever.

He is the self appointed leader of many NG lunch mobs.

Get my drift ?

Hey, I'm always up for a good lunch. What's on the menu? g

William Sommerwerck

He is the self-appointed leader of many NG lunch mobs.

Hmmm... Where do they eat?
Phil Allison

"William Sommerwerck"

He is the self-appointed leader of many NG lunch mobs.

Hmmm... Where do they eat?

** Typos do amuse some.

........ Phil

George

In article ,
"Phil Allison" wrote:

"George"

Not really Ron
Phil is just a psychopath
nobody responds to him at aapls anymore so he has come trolling for
others to annoy
George

** George Gleason is a pig ignorant cowboy - with a PA system for hire.

He has permanent **** on his boots from doing rodeos.

He has no intelligence whatever.

He is the self appointed leader of many NG lunch mobs.

Get my drift ?

Reese does the rodeo's , I do the folk music
George
Phil Allison

"George" wrote in message
"Phil Allison" wrote:

"George"

Not really Ron
Phil is just a psychopath
nobody responds to him at aapls anymore so he has come trolling for
others to annoy
George

** George Gleason is a pig ignorant cowboy - with a PA system for

hire.

He has permanent **** on his boots from doing rodeos.

He has no intelligence whatever.

He is the self appointed leader of many NG lunch mobs.

Get my drift ?

Reese does the rodeo's , I do the folk music
George

** So, as you see, he agrees with the rest.

........... Phil

Roger W. Norman

Most of us have a body of work to back up our words. How about you, Phil?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Phil Allison" wrote in message
u...

"George"

Not really Ron
Phil is just a psychopath
nobody responds to him at aapls anymore so he has come trolling for
others to annoy
George

** George Gleason is a pig ignorant cowboy - with a PA system for hire.

He has permanent **** on his boots from doing rodeos.

He has no intelligence whatever.

He is the self appointed leader of many NG lunch mobs.

Get my drift ?

......... Phil

Phil Allison

"Roger W. Norman"

Most of us have a body of work to back up our words.

** Septic Tank ****wits like the one above are obsessed with a phoney
notion called "cred".

If you own some pile of fancy junk or have done something in the public
eye then you get instant "cred !! " Once you have this invisible stuff you
can declare yourself an ** EXPERT** on **ANY** and all topics.

It don't matter one bit that the subject is way outside any actual
knowledge or experience you have.

If someone comes along with less "cred" than another then his views on
whatever topic are dismissed out of hand - no matter how well qualified he
may be on the particular topic and how unqualified the other.

It would be hysterically funny to watch - if the stupid ****s did not
really believe in this insanity.

............ Phil

Rob Adelman

Phil Allison wrote:

If someone comes along with less "cred" than another then his views on
whatever topic are dismissed out of hand -

No, actually that takes a *special* talent.

Mark D. Zacharias

BECAUSE, the subject was Bose, and I had another slant on the subject, and
since I had changed the subject a bit, I also changed the subject line a
bit.

****head.

mz

** Why ****ing top pot this tripe on one of my posts ?????

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

Phil Allison wrote:
"Mark D. Zacharias"

One complimentary thing I must say about Bose.

** Why ****ing top pot this tripe on one of my posts ?????

Are you some kind of cuckoo ?

Wow! Tough room...

Logan Shaw

Peter Sammon wrote:
You call me a troll. You, sir, are wrong. Remember, important advances such
as Bose technology are ALWAYS contriversial.

Name one thing Bose invented.

- Logan
Bob Cain

Logan Shaw wrote:

Peter Sammon wrote:
You call me a troll. You, sir, are wrong. Remember, important advances such
as Bose technology are ALWAYS contriversial.

Name one thing Bose invented.

Or even one thing that is contriversial.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Phil Allison

"Logan Shaw"
Peter Sammon wrote:
You call me a troll. You, sir, are wrong. Remember, important advances

such
as Bose technology are ALWAYS contriversial.

Name one thing Bose invented.

** Just about all their specifications ;-)

Rob Adelman

Bob Cain wrote:

Name one thing Bose invented.

Or even one thing that is contriversial.

l.o.l.

Isn't that a legitimate new Bush word though?