SHRED

Default Sub stopped working...again!

I am frustrated!

My system history in my 91 Integra:

Alpine CDA 9827
Alpine MRV-F307 4ch into 4 Polk Audio DX6's
Alpine MRV 100M into a JL Audio 8W6@3 ohms.
4-gauge(60a fused) to a distrib block then 8-gauge to the amps. Grounded
well.

My sub quit. The amp light goes on but no bass. I am thinking the amp
went out.

I thought oh well I wanted to upggrade a bit so I go get a JBL BP300.1
amp and hook up a JL 10W0. Things are thumping fine then today NO SUB
....grrrr!!!!

The light on the JBL is on but no sub sound.
What would cause this again? Is my head unit deciding not to send a line
level signal out to the sub amp? The head unit has Front, Rear, and Sub
line level RCA outs.

I have a voltmeter. What setting should I put it on and what signal
should be coming out of the HU's RCA sub out while running. This is what
I think I should do.
Maybe the RCA cable is shorting out? It is weird that it runs for a
while and then nothing. The other amp(MRV F307) is driving the sattelite
speakers fine.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
DA

I have a 9827 also. I ran the SUB OUT to my sub amp and the same thing
happened. I plugged in the REAR OUT to the amp and it has worked
perfect ever since. Maybe something with the SUB OUT with that unit?
You lose the head unit SUB-W control, but I didn't use it anyway. I
used the one on the amp.

DA
SHRED

DA wrote:
I have a 9827 also. I ran the SUB OUT to my sub amp and the same thing
happened. I plugged in the REAR OUT to the amp and it has worked
perfect ever since. Maybe something with the SUB OUT with that unit?
You lose the head unit SUB-W control, but I didn't use it anyway. I
used the one on the amp.

DA

Wow DA that is good to here I am not alone.
I wish I could use the REAR OUT but it is taken up.

I wonder if this is defect with the 9827?
DA

Mine was too but my amp lets me switch between 2 channel and 4 channel
input so I switched it to two channel and it ran fine like that.
Finally I got a Kicker KX3 crossover and ran the front and rear inputs
to that and ran the 3 outputs from there.

DA
MOSFET

[...]

Using a voltmeter is a good idea to check the Alpine sub output. Just use
the same setting as you would to check a car battery (0-20 volt range for
instance). It should be really obvious if it is working or not.

Coincidentaly, I own an Alpine CDA-7863 (4 years old) and had major problems
with the sub out (now this unit has only 2 line level outs but the rear
channels can be configured as a sub out with built in X-overs, etc.). I
eventually gave up trying to make it work correctly and just configured it
for front/rear applications and run the rear channels to my sub amp. This
doesn't speak well of Alpine, does it?

Of course, the first thing that crossed my mind was that you were running
your sub in 3 ohm mode (two six ohm coils paralleled) and that perhaps your
amp can not handle a 3 ohm mono bridged load and that you fried it.

MOSFET

SHRED

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

The MRV 100M I believe can handle down to 2-OHMS. THe JBL can do 1-OHM.
I am confused. Can the OHMS, an amplifier can run, be any incriment down
to the lowest rating? Say like 4 to 3.71 to 2.73 to etc...?

I was running the JBL at 4 OHM when it stopped.
It's looking more and more like the SUB OUT.

Should I get another HU what would you recommend that is comparable?
Should I get this one fixed? It is out of warranty.

Thanks

CD player stopped working DaveINM Tech 3 July 30th 04 10:27 AM
Kenwood WOOX stopped working w/Alpine 7894?? Andy Car Audio 3 June 17th 04 01:55 AM
WTB: Marantz 2500 or 2600 receiver working or non working.Looking for working or non working Awmd95 Marketplace 0 January 18th 04 10:42 AM
KLH 5's: not all drivers are working, how to check, can it be fixed? please advise jon chaikin Tech 2 November 30th 03 08:33 AM
eclipse 5122 12 disc cd changer stopped working, why? greg Car Audio 3 November 6th 03 01:06 AM