BBB

Default High effecany mid/high power 2 ohm sub??

I'm looking for a sub. Need some export advice....

Requirments:

2ohm load for amp(can be dual 4 coils)
1000W power handeling
high efficency
12" dia

I want a dymanic sub that can handel power when I turn it up

I havn't set a budget yet, no idea what it'll cost. I'm acustom to good bass
from my home system. I would like to try and match it. I'm not looking for
the typical car stereo (ie 20dB of boost from 150Hz down, lol)

Also, I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, I don't have access to many brands. Any
reputable web-vendors??

Thanks,
Sorry for the "what sub" question

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"BBB" wrote:

I'm looking for a sub. Need some export advice....

Requirments:

2ohm load for amp(can be dual 4 coils)
1000W power handeling
high efficency
12" dia

I want a dymanic sub that can handel power when I turn it up

I havn't set a budget yet, no idea what it'll cost. I'm acustom to good bass
from my home system. I would like to try and match it. I'm not looking for
the typical car stereo (ie 20dB of boost from 150Hz down, lol)

Also, I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, I don't have access to many brands. Any
reputable web-vendors??

Thanks,
Sorry for the "what sub" question

I don't think you'll get such a speaker, or even want it. An efficient
12" sub does serious shaking with not even 200W. The very high power
subs are usually designed to fight against the high pressure of a small
enclosure. So far I haven't heard one that sounds good or is efficient.
Some are very efficient but fall more into the woofer category.

My current favorite sub is the Shiva Mark III. It's designed for deep
bass (16 - 200 Hz range) and large enclosures so I don't know if you
would have the room for it in a car. I'm using it in a work cubicle
after hours
Paul Vina

I disagree. The IDMAX subs are very effficient but will also take 1200
watts all day long. But I see your point. generally an efficient woofer
will not handle a large amount of power becuase of the size of the voice
coil among other things.

Paul Vina

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"BBB" wrote:

[...]

BBB

Thanks for the suggestions!

The subs from edesignaudio look good(good $ too). I like the idea of buying
from the manufacture. The IDmax seems to be held in high regards within the
group. I don't know with the price difference if its worth it?

Depending on weather I get some good mid bass drivers, I may consider a sub
like the Shiva, with very low freq response (it will be installed in a Buick
regal, HUGE trunk). My home system goes low. I noticed that most subs aren't
rated to go very low. Is this because their roll-off combined with the car
transfer function results in a more flatter response? Or would I need a sub
with a -3dB pt at 15-20Hz to eq the system flat? Or am I missing something
all together here, does the box/sub combo extend the response pass
manufactures spec?

I guess my overall goal is to have a flat system response down to 15-20Hz
with the ability to turn it up on occasion.

My plans....

I just bought 2 Stinger speaker level to RCA level converters. I plan on
keeping the factory deck. The converters will send signal to 3 Pionner
Premier amps GMX-822, GMX-424 and GMX-412. I plan on using the 4ch amp (424)
to power the component set, possibly bi-amp if I can find a cheap elec
crossover. I will use the big 822 to power a 2ohm sub (aprox 900W). The
small 2ch (412) will be used for rear fill or mid bass drivers. I want to
keep things stelth, so you won't know there is a stereo unless you turn it
up or open the trunk. Also I plan on adding an fm modulated CD changer.

I have my fingers crossed, I don't know what to expect, CD transmitted in FM
to the factory deck to level converts to power amps???

Hope it dosn't sound like ****!

Thanks,
Brent

Paul Vina

The IDmax seems to be held in high regards within the
group. I don't know with the price difference if its worth it?

I think so. But I know people that have gone from ID to eD and vice versa.
You won't be disappointed either way.

Depending on weather I get some good mid bass drivers, I may consider a

sub
like the Shiva, with very low freq response (it will be installed in a

Buick
regal, HUGE trunk).

How low a sub plays has nothing to do with it's midbass ability.

My home system goes low. I noticed that most subs aren't
rated to go very low. Is this because their roll-off combined with the car
transfer function results in a more flatter response?

Exactly. Low bass rises at about 12dB/octave in a car so it the sub was
flat to 20Hz in free-air it would be WAY boomy in a car.

Or would I need a sub
with a -3dB pt at 15-20Hz to eq the system flat?

No.

Or am I missing something
all together here, does the box/sub combo extend the response pass
manufactures spec?

The type of box WILL come into play but ultimately the simple fact that it's
in a car will be it's saving grace.

I guess my overall goal is to have a flat system response down to 15-20Hz
with the ability to turn it up on occasion.

Why so low? About the only music that goes that low is classical or sound
effects on movies. Most people could cut their systems off at 30Hz, or
higher in some cases, and they wouldn't even notice.

My plans....

I just bought 2 Stinger speaker level to RCA level converters. I plan on
keeping the factory deck. The converters will send signal to 3 Pionner
Premier amps GMX-822, GMX-424 and GMX-412. I plan on using the 4ch amp

(424)
to power the component set, possibly bi-amp if I can find a cheap elec
crossover. I will use the big 822 to power a 2ohm sub (aprox 900W). The
small 2ch (412) will be used for rear fill or mid bass drivers. I want to
keep things stelth, so you won't know there is a stereo unless you turn it
up or open the trunk. Also I plan on adding an fm modulated CD changer.

I have my fingers crossed, I don't know what to expect, CD transmitted in

FM
to the factory deck to level converts to power amps???

Hope it dosn't sound like ****!

It should sound fine as long as you use good line output converters. I like
the Soundgate units myself.

Another option would be to keep the factory deck as planned but not use it.
Alpine used to make (and they stil might) a stand-alone Ai-Net changer
controller. It's the same size as their FM-mod changer controller but with
preamp output. You could mount that someplace hidden, like your glove box,
and control it by remote.

Paul Vina

Kevin McMurtrie

In article v1btb.151067$275.455658@attbi_s53,
"Paul Vina" wrote:

[...]

[snip]

Sub-hertz frequencies can be heard, probably through more mechanisms
than the ear, but it stops being a tone somewhere in the 15 to 35 Hz
range. It's how you can sense somebody sneaking up on you. The
millitary has been playing with infrasonics for a while because the
right patterns will eventually drive some people mad or make them sick.

I can definitely hear sub-20Hz from a subwoofer in a quiet environment.
How this works in a car will be an experiment for BBB. Cabin gain could
provide enough boost to overcome road noise but will infrasonics still
sound right at high levels?
Paul Vina

Sub-hertz frequencies can be heard, probably through more mechanisms
than the ear, but it stops being a tone somewhere in the 15 to 35 Hz
range. It's how you can sense somebody sneaking up on you. The
millitary has been playing with infrasonics for a while because the
right patterns will eventually drive some people mad or make them sick.

Ummm, no. The very term subsonic means below the threshhold of hearing.
You can FEEL subsonics but you definitely can't hear them. If you're
hearing subsonics it's most likely something in the room making noise or
mechanical noise from the sub.

I can definitely hear sub-20Hz from a subwoofer in a quiet environment.
How this works in a car will be an experiment for BBB. Cabin gain could
provide enough boost to overcome road noise but will infrasonics still
sound right at high levels?

Beside the fact that you CAN'T hear them they'll be fine.

Paul Vina

smullen

Also try looking at the RE HCs and XXXs...

Right now I think that the ID MAX and the RE XXX and HCs are my favorite
Subs...

No one will ever win the battle for best sub, there are to many opinions and
too many varibles...

But if you have the propper enclosure size and power; I'll bet you'll be
Happy with any of the the ones mentioned inthis thread...