Great *sounding* CD recommendation?

Old June 9th 04, 04:16 PM
Robert J Dewar

Default Great *sounding* CD recommendation?

New York Reunion- McCoy Tyner
Personnel: McCoy Tyner (piano); Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Ron Carter
(bass); Al Foster (drums). Recorded At RCA Studio A, New York, New York on
April 3-4, 1991. Includes liner notes by Bret Primack.

This is often mentioned as a great sounding recording. THe music ain`t half
bad, either! Also available as a hybrid SACD if you are so inclined. I
think my next CD player is going to be a multi (ie) able to play SACD,
DVDaudio etc. Anybody have one of those?

Robert J Dewar

om...

Old June 9th 04, 08:02 PM
[email protected]_abcdefg.edu

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.audio.misc.]
On 2004-06-09, chris lee > wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a cd that *sounds* great, regardless of the style
> of music (but preferably jazz). I listen mostly to hip hop and
> electronica, and while I enjoy the music, often the sound quality
> isn't the best (partly, I think, because the music is produced by
> sampling rather than by real instruments). I recently upgraded my
> stereo, and the difference between good sounding CDs and average
> sounding ones is very obvious. I bought the remastered 'Kind of Blue'
> recently and it sounds fantastic. I'm not asking for CDs you like,
> but ones which have a noticeable clarity of sound. Any other
> recommendations would be welcome.
>
> peace
> chris

You might also check "www.referencerecordings.com" for their jazz
CDs, especially the demos.
Old June 9th 04, 08:35 PM
ric

Robert J Dewar wrote:

> This is often mentioned as a great sounding recording. THe music ain`t half
> bad, either! Also available as a hybrid SACD if you are so inclined. I
> think my next CD player is going to be a multi (ie) able to play SACD,
> DVDaudio etc. Anybody have one of those?

Yes. Players that will play CDs and SACDs are relatively common, but
true universal players (DVD-V, DVD-A, CD, SACD) are more rare - and
expensive.

Check out the Marantz line at:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...sp?mfr=MARANTZ

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...
Old June 9th 04, 10:55 PM
~GT~

"ric" > wrote in message ...
> chris lee wrote:
>

> If your system doesn't support SACD or DVD-A, you are missing out on
> great sound.

I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats for
anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's an old
recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.

The new blue-ray technology that will be coming out in a couple of years
will put both of those formats to shame.

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover everything.
Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens when one
format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent of an
old laserdisc or DAT player.

I suggest holding off until you know for certain what format will win out in
the marketplace and will be around for awhile.

Old June 10th 04, 12:21 AM
Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:55:41 -0400, "~GT~" <none> wrote:

>Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover everything.

Or an inexpensive universal player.

Kal

Old June 10th 04, 03:31 AM
~GT~

"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:55:41 -0400, "~GT~" <none> wrote:
>
> >Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

everything.

> Or an inexpensive universal player.

And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?

One? Two? Three?

Old June 10th 04, 03:56 AM
Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:31:31 -0400, "~GT~" <none> wrote:

>"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:55:41 -0400, "~GT~" <none> wrote:
>>
>> >Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

>everything.
>>
>> Or an inexpensive universal player.

>And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?
>
>One? Two? Three?

Cheap ones, probably. Without regard to budget, a dozen or more. How
many do you need?

Kal
Old June 10th 04, 03:59 AM
usenet

~GT~ wrote:
> "ric" > wrote in message ...
>
>>chris lee wrote:
>>

>>If your system doesn't support SACD or DVD-A, you are missing out on
>>great sound.

> I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats for
> anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's an old
> recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.
>
> The new blue-ray technology that will be coming out in a couple of years
> will put both of those formats to shame.
>
> Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover everything.
> Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens when one
> format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent of an
> old laserdisc or DAT player.
>
> I suggest holding off until you know for certain what format will win out in
> the marketplace and will be around for awhile.

In the meantime get yourself an inexpensive universal player and check
out some of the 5.1 recordings. The Dark Side of the Moon is excellent
in surround sound. My player is a Pioneer DV-563A, about $120 on sale.
It plays almost everything.
Old June 10th 04, 04:07 AM
~GT~

"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:31:31 -0400, "~GT~" <none> wrote:
>
> >"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >everything.
> >>
> >> Or an inexpensive universal player.

> >And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?
> >
> >One? Two? Three?

> Cheap ones, probably. Without regard to budget, a dozen or more. How
> many do you need?

If this is the way the industry is going, then it should be standard on ALL
players.

If not then why not? You tell me....

Old June 10th 04, 04:48 AM
George M. Middius

~GT~ said:

> > >And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?
> > >One? Two? Three?

> > Cheap ones, probably. Without regard to budget, a dozen or more. How
> > many do you need?

> If this is the way the industry is going, then it should be standard on ALL
> players.

Or not.

> If not then why not? You tell me....

Because not every product on the market is aimed at the utilitarian
niche. This is not unique to electronics, you know. Ford just came out
with a hybrid SUV that gets much better mileage than the gasoline
ones. If technology that yields improved fuel economy is workable, why
aren't all cars so equipped? You tell me....