MP3 burning.... Advise appreciated.

Old September 23rd 05, 05:46 PM

"Steven Sullivan" > wrote in message
> In rec.audio.pro Jon J. Yeager > wrote:
>> > "Jeff Richardson" > wrote in message
>> > oups.com...

>> You noticed that too?

>> So I'm *not* crazy, then? 128k sounds clearer than anything above it that
>> I've tried, which makes no sense to me.

> Depends on that encoder you used, and what music you're encoding. Theres'
> no
> way >128 should sound *intrinsically* more 'compressed' or attenuated in
> the treble bands than <=128.
>
> Try the free LAME 3.9x encoder , using --alt preset standard (that's VRB,
> ~192 kpbs
> avg) setting
>
> see
> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=28124
>

> I was unable to ABX a variety of such MP3s (rock, jazz, classical) from
> their
> source .wavs.

One of the few advantages of being old and having poor high frequency
hearing is that you can get along with a thoroughly compressed sound file.
I used to use mp3 at 128kb/s. As my hearing got worse, I could get by with
64kb/s, which occupies half the space of 128kb/s. Lately, I've been
experimenting with wma VBR with quality setting 10. I don't know what the
10 means, but the compression ratio gets as high as 53:1 when coding certain
piano recordings, and gets to about 35:1 with more complex sounds.

I just encoded Iberia, from the new Hamelin CD. The original CDDA file was
840MB. The compressed version is only 16MB, a reduction of 53:1 from the
original, and I can't tell the difference by listening alone! Admittedly,
this is an extreme case. Orchestral recordings with a lot of percussion
compress to about 26:1.

Old September 23rd 05, 07:59 PM
Lynn

"Steven Sullivan" > wrote in message
> In rec.audio.pro Jon J. Yeager > wrote:
>> > "Jeff Richardson" > wrote in message
>> > oups.com...

>> You noticed that too?

>> So I'm *not* crazy, then? 128k sounds clearer than anything above it that
>> I've tried, which makes no sense to me.

> Depends on that encoder you used, and what music you're encoding. Theres'
> no
> way >128 should sound *intrinsically* more 'compressed' or attenuated in
> the treble bands than <=128.
>
> Try the free LAME 3.9x encoder , using --alt preset standard (that's VRB,
> ~192 kpbs
> avg) setting
>
> see
> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=28124
>

> I was unable to ABX a variety of such MP3s (rock, jazz, classical) from
> their
> source .wavs.
>

> --
>
> -S

I prefer "Blade" for 160Kbps and above, and "Lame" for 128Kbps or Below.

--
Lynn
Wobbly Music